Chapter 52: Loving father

Start from the beginning

"You were his family and he gave up on you, he doesn't deserve a second chance" Josh argues.

"Forgiveness should be given countless times. You should know that you're a Matthews."

"Forgiveness doesn't mean forgetting. You might forgive him but it doesn't mean you should let yourself get hurt again!"

"Baby, please see where I'm coming from" I beg "I know what he's done, I'll never forget it or forgive him but he is my father and no matter what I am allowed to see him" he takes a deep breath and runs his fingers over his face. "Maya" he breathes out "You've got to see where I'm coming from. I don't want you to get hurt again. Your getting your hopes up for someone who's done nothing but hurt you."

I reach for Josh's hand and nod "I know that" I whisper "Than you aren't going to see him. I don't want you or Noah near him okay?" I gnaw on my bottom lip hating the way my heart is sinking. I know deep down that he's right, I should never trust my father but I can't help the way I'm feeling.

"Maya" he presses. "Fine" I agree "I won't see him" I mumble looking down. "Thank you" he cups my cheek lifting my head up "Trust me its what's best for our family, especially you baby" I nod.

"Okay" I whisper.

"I love you" he says sweetly making me smile. "I love you too Josh" he leans down pressing a soft kiss on my lips.

"I know you think that maybe this is your chance of fixing your relationship with you father but trust me some things are better left the way they are. I don't want you thinking that I'm being selfish and mean by not letting you see him" I shake my head "I know and I understand. You care about me" I smile softly.

~🍼~

"Mama is going to get in so much trouble if daddy knows we're doing this so what we do today stays between us okay Pumpkin?" I say placing him down on his feet. I take his hand and follow him wherever he wants to go.

"Really the sandpit?" I groan already knowing how messy he is going to be afterwards. I help him sit down and smile as he leans forward to grab two handful of sand. "Going straight at it huh?" I chuckle. I sit on the bench a few feet behind him and patiently wait.

It doesn't take him long to show up though

It doesn't take him long to show up though. My heart starts pounding against my chest as I see him get closer and I suddenly start wondering if I made the right decision. Should I have listened to Josh instead?

"Hey Maya" he politely greets me with a warm smile. "Hi" I say simply not bothering to stand up and give him a hug, after all we aren't there yet with our relationship. "Thank you so much for agreeing to this" I nod "You can sit if you want."

He takes a seat besides me, his eyes not leaving mine once. "Are you here alone?" I shake my head and point to Noah who's digging a whole.

"Oh you're baby is here" I furrow my brows at his tone. He sounded both disgusted and confused. "Makes sense why you wanted to meet at the park" he chuckles making me internally roll my eyes.