Chapter Five: Chase

Kasumi woke up in the middle of the night to find both Kakashi and Grany Chiyo awake. She rolled up her sleeping bag and leapt onto the branch beside her husband. “A few minutes longer, don't you think?” Kakashi nodded in reply. She leaned against his side and placed her palm on her stomach.

“How long have you two been together?” Granny Chiyo questioned even though she wasn't looking at them. “Two and a half years.” Kakashi answered. “We've been married around a year now.” Kasumi added. “You two act like a team. It reminds me of how my son and daughter-in-law once were.”

Kakashi jumped from the branch and yelled for Sakura and Naruto to wake up. “Give me five more minutes,” Naruto groaned as he rolled back over. “I thought you were going to save Gaara.” Naruto sat up immediately. “I am! Let's go!”

“There's a good chance they don't need to stall us anymore.” Granny Chiyo said. “Don't tell me..” Sakura muttered. Naruto clenched his fists. Kasumi caught sight of his elongated finger nails from her distance behind him and activated her Sharingan. She checked for a major chakra disruption where the red won, but she saw none, so she deactivated her ocular jutsu. She nodded to Kakashi, signaling everything was fine.

“Why is that kid trying so hard to save Gaara who's from a different village? And what is he?” Granny Chiyo questioned. “He too is a Jinchuuriki.” Kasumi answered. Her mouth opened slightly from shock. “He has the Nine-Tails sealed within him. Yes, Naruto doesn't have much attachment to the Hidden Sand in general, but Gaara is a Jinchuuriki just like he is. More than anyone in the Hidden Sand, Naruto knows how Gaara feels.

“After all, Jinchuuriki have always been treated the same in every village. That's exactly why he feels he must save Gaara. It doesn't make any difference to him whether he's from Suna or Konoha. To Naruto, Gaara is a friend who knows the same pain he does. Naruto's dream is to become the Hokage. While he was frustrated when he heard that Gaara became the Kazekage, he was happy from the bottom of his heart. He has a mysterious power. No matter how small the words he exchanges are, he makes friends with everyone he meets almost immediately.” Kakashi explained.

“Naruto accepted me as his sensei after just a few days. I came from the Village Hidden in the Mist, but he didn't care. Even after finding out about what the graduation exam once was and that I participated in it, he still accepted me. After finding out about everything I've done, he still accepted me.” Kasumi said with a faint smile.

“I myself have lived a long life. I've seen many things. And in my own way, I've learned the nature of things in the world. Once I learned that the alliance with other lands were for show only, I created resources to protect the Hidden Sand. I'm the one who used the jutsu and forced the possession of the Shukaku on Gaara. After consulting with his father, the Fourth Kazekage, that is. What I did to protect the village just ended up hurting it.” Granny Chiyo paused for a sorrowful moment. “And now, a village I avoided because I couldn't believe in alliances is trying to help us. Everything I've done might have been a mistake, and now I've gotten old. I've learned to give up easily. Kakashi, Kasumi, young people have so much potential within.. I'm so envious.”