Chapter Twenty-Six: Rescue

I'm soo sorry for the twenty day long wait. My laptop broke so I got a new one and I've gotten addicted to this television show called Falling Skies which isn't an excuse but it's the only reason I have to give. :/ I'm also sorry if this chapter is messed up looking, I'm trying this new word document and I don't think it corresponds very well with Wattpad.

----------------------------------------------

Kakashi, Kiyoshi, Kiba, and Akamaru scouted the Waterfall Village but found nothing indicating that Kasumi had even stepped foot in it, besides her faint scent. "Are you sure you smelt her around here?" Kiyoshi asked doubtfully. Kiba grew an anime vein. "Yes, I'm sure, kid. Don't doubt mine and Akamaru's smelling abilities because they're the best." Kiba said irritably. 

"Maybe they left," Kakashi suggested. "Do you pick up her scent in another direction?" Kiba paused and sniffed the air obnoxiously. "Uh, yeah, actually. A little to the east of the way we came. It's fresher." Kakashi nodded. He stayed rooted to his spot though, trying to make a decision between following her scent again - that could be another dead end - or asking for information. "Let's go ask the locals if they've seen anything." 

*

"Well, I see the mission was successful." Ginzou commented as Reika, Hayao, Kazuo, and Kasumi stood before him. "Our dear Yuki here was no trouble?" He asked Reika. "She was irritating, but that's a given." Ginzou shot her a venomous look. "She killed someone so we could escape." Reika added quickly. A sardonic smile stretched across Ginzou's lips. "Is that so?" He asked. "Heh, I knew you would come in handy. Maybe I'll keep you around a little while longer before your procedure." 

Kasumi narrowed her eyes. "Nothing to say? Fine, fine. Hayao, take her to her quarters." Hayao grabbed Kasumi's forearm and dragged her to her room before pushing her in and locking the door. Kasumi collapsed on the bed and heaved a great sigh. She wanted to curse the child inside of her but she knew it wasn't their fault. Her timing always seemed to be off. 

*

There seemed to be a commotion at a temple near the border of the village. Kiba sniffed audibly. "She's definitely been here." He informed and Kiyoshi shot him a dubious look. Kiba clenched his fist. "Look kid, I know what I'm doing. I'm actually a Chuunin. You're not even a Genin so stop doubting me or I'll make you." He threatened. "I just want to find Kasumi Sensei," Kiyoshi mumbled. 

Kakashi glanced back at the younger boy to see his crestfallen face. "We're going to find her." He assured with a closed-eye smile before turning back around. Inside, Kakashi wasn't too sure. He knew his stubborn wife was powerful, but not in her state. Not while she was seven months and a half months pregnant.