Chapter 34: Endgame

Kasumi knew from the beginning that she wouldn't be the hero of this story.

So when the time came to end the war, defeat Madara for good, and save everyone, she knew her role was at the sidelines. She let Naruto do all of those things with his best friends while she fought alongside Kakashi.

After they each defeated an opponent, they made eye contact and spoke the things they couldn't quite put into words. Naruto was once a stupid kid with dreams too big to carry and now he was winning an entire war. Sasuke was a brooding child with too much grief and darkness and plans too awful for his to truly understand. Sakura was a naive girl defined by her infatuation for a boy. Now they were leading countless people and not letting others define or change them. And they smiled.

*

After the war was won, there was a chaos, but only the good kind. Shinobi from all five nations rejoiced and cried and laughed and celebrated. Everyone finally had a chance to grief their fallen comrades and loved ones, because a Shinobi could only reflect after the war was won, not the battle. And they had lost so many battles, but most of them had won the war.

*

Having the Hokage as a husband was strange, to say the least. Kakashi was always in the Hokage's tower, and when Kasumi went on missions, he watched Risaki and avoided his paperwork. Kasumi brought him lunch every other day and Naruto visited him everyday, just to make sure he didn't want to give his title over right then.

Having Sasuke living down the hall was also strange. He wasn't home very often, but when he was he was mostly silent. Sasuke had faced severe punishment for his crimes and the only way he was allowed to remain in the Leaf Village was if someone pioneered for him. Kasumi spoke up immediately and thus, he was forced to move in. She had offered him a place to stay after the war was initially over, but he had refused. She believed that he secretly enjoyed eating dinner with them as a family and having a mother and father figured. Risaki had taken a liking to him and Sasuke had taken a liking to her also. She had found him speaking to her once as he held her. "It's up to us to continue the Uchiha name, Risaki. Mine, yours, and Kasumi's, but she's already played her part." He had said.

Kasumi was walking towards the Hokage building with Yumiko by her side. "Kyo and I are dating." Yumiko blurted.  Kasumi looked over at her with a raised eyebrow. Then her gaze softened. "I always figured it would be you two. Satoshi... he would have eventually realized and not have settled down for a while. He would have still loved you, though, you know." Kasumi looked to the sky. "He's happy for you two." She said as a warm breeze swept by. Yumiko wiped at her eyes and smiled.

Kasumi opened the door the Hokage's office to find Kakashi filling out paperwork with Risaki on his lap. She leaned against the door frame with a smile on her face. "Maybe it's time to let Naruto know that you're training Risaki to become the next Hokage," She said loudly. A moment later Naruto jumped in through the window.

"But you promised!" He yelled accusingly at Kakashi, who didn't even glance at him. "I told you to stop eavesdropping on the room. I'm not giving secret Hokage information to anyone." He said in a bored tone. Naruto huffed. "Hello, Kasumi." Kakashi greeted kindly with a close-eyed smile. Kasumi stepped into the door, shutting the door behind her. He took Risaki from Kakashi's lap and sat on the desk. Risaki picked a pen up from the desk and threw it at Naruto.

"Hey!"

"I think that's code for 'get out'." Kakashi said pointedly. Naruto huffed again before leaving the way he came. Kasumi passed Kakashi his bento box and they ate lunch together. "We did a good job, you know. We turned him into great Shinobi and we'll do the same with Risaki when the time comes." Kakashi said after a while. "I know." Kasumi said, staring out of the window. "I can't imagine still being in the Mist Village or only knowing you as the Copy Cat Ninja, or only knowing Naruto as the hero of the war and Sasuke as the last Uchiha and Sakura as Tsunade's apprentice. I'm so happy I found my home in you all."