Chapter Four: The Fraud

The next morning, Kasumi headed to Kakashi and Naruto's temporary room. “Yo.” Kakashi greeted with a closed-eye smile. He patted the spot next to him on the bed. Kasumi cast her gaze to Naruto's sleeping figure. He was sprawled across his bed in an awkward looking position with his mouth wide open. She cocked an eyebrow in his direction. She sat criss-crossed on Kakashi's bed.

The couple summoned their main Ninken. “Pakkun. Chiko.” Kakashi greeted. “Master Kasumi!” Chiko chirped. Chiko was a violet-colored Ninja Hound with black, pupiless eyes. She had a long snout and tail that was black-tipped. “Shh,” Kasumi hushed, eyeing her sleeping student. Chiko giggled.

Chiko was the exact opposite of Kakashi's own lazy Ninken, Pakkun.

“Look, Kakashi and I need you two to smell this,” She waved the piece of cloth in front of their noses. “Then track the scent. Also look for Gaara's scent. Pakkun, you should remember it from when the Sand attacked the Leaf.” Kakashi finished.

*

A while later the two Ninken returned. Pakkun placed his paw over a place on the map. “So that's where they are, huh?” Pakkun nodded his furry head. “Most likely. Gaara's scent was also coming from there.” Kasumi nodded and stroked Chiko absentmindedly.

“I have another favor to ask of you two..”

Naruto rolled out of bed. “Naruto, are you finally awake?” Kakashi questioned. “Huh? Pakkun? Who's the other dog?” Chiko hopped onto Naruto's shoulder. “I'm Chiko!” She squealed.

“Kakashi Sensei, you got another summoning?” Naruto asked. Kakashi shook his head and pointed to the woman beside him. “Kakashi taught me how to summon Ninken a few months ago. I have my own pack now. However, Chiko is the one I summon most frequently.” Kasumi elaborated. Chiko hopped back onto her owner's lap. She was rather affectionate hound. “Okay, Chiko and Pakkun. Kakashi and I are counting on you.”

“Could it be that they've found the Akatsuki's hideout?” Naruto asled “Yes, we're heading out immediately.” Kasumi went back to her and Sakura's temporary room. She tied her headband around her forehead and put on her backpack.

They all met outside. “We'll head out as soon as the Sand is ready.” Kakashi informed. “Sorry to keep you waiting,” Temari said as she ran up to them. “Everyone's here.”

“All right! Then let's head out!” Naruto shouted. “Wait!” Baki yelled as he landed on the ground near them. “Temari.. you and the others stay here and patrol the border.” He ordered. “What do you mean?” She inquired. “That's an order from.. above. Their reasoning is that if it becomes widely known that the Kazekage is absent, other villages could attack us at any time.” He explained. “That's ridiculous and all the more reason why we have to get Gaara back as soon as possible!” Temari argued. “These Leaf villages came all this way for the very purpose of going to Gaara's aid! Gaara is our Kazekage! What's the point if we, the people of the Sand, don't go to save him?!” Temari continued fiercely. “I'm going.”