Chapter Eight: Notes and News

I hope you all had a fab Halloween! I went as Peter Pan. Judge me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kakashi and Kasumi reported to the Hokage's office two days later. “Kakashi, you have another mission. Kasumi, you have a doctor's appointment later today. Plus, you're four months pregnant, it's not healthy or safe for you to go on missions much anymore. I'm assigning an Anbu, Tenzo, to be their captain. He'll be under the name “Yamato” for obvious purposes.” She explained quickly.

“Dismissed.”

*

The next day Kakashi woke up just before dawn. Kasumi crawled out of bed with him and began making him breakfast. He practically inhaled it. Kasumi raised an eyebrow at him with a smirk. He put his dish and cup in the sink.

“I'll summon Pakkun tomorrow after the appointment and tell him any news on the baby.” Kasumi informed him in between kisses. He slung on his backpack and they walked to the front door of their shared apartment.

Kakashi kissed his wife long and passionately before pulling his mask up. They tromped down the stairs. They stopped at the end of the stairs and stood across from each other. “Be safe,” She told him.

“Always.” He replied.

*

A noise startled Kasumi awake from her slumber. She crept out of bed and grabbed a kunai knife. She silently walked towards the spare bedroom. She activated her Sharingan. Her red eyes met ones that sparkled under the dim moonlight and she froze. The intruder turns around swiftly and leapt out of the window. Kasumi shook away the odd feeling in her head and looked out the window at their retreating figure.

She closed and locked the window. Kasumi frowned and sat on the window sill. As she was thinking about the encounter, something shiny caught her eye.

She'd recognize it anywhere.

Her father's wedding band was set on the dresser. It gleamed in the moonlight. She tensed and stared at it for a few seconds. Kasumi picked it up slowly, spinning it around in her hands. He was wearing it when they fought almost three years ago.

She picked up the folded note.

Flash from the past? There's more to come.

She frowned, still not understanding. She placed it, along with the ring, in the dresser drawer with the first note.

*

Kasumi walked to the hospital the next morning for her pregnancy check-up. She signed in at the front desk and headed to room 214. Shizune was putting on gloves and prepping the machines as she stepped in. “Oh, hello, Kasumi!” Shizune greeted. Kasumi nodded in her direction. “Hello, Shizune.” She replied as she laid down on the hospital bed.

Kasumi lifted up her top to expose her stomach. Shizune did the standard procedure. She stared at the screen that showed the ultrasound. “This is week seventeen, correct?” Kasumi nodded distractedly as she intently stared at the screen. “The baby's fingernails are fully formed now. If you focus hard enough, you might feel the baby move.” Shizune informed. “Can you tell whether it's a boy or girl?”

Shizune changes the position and studies the digital image closely. Then, a smile broke out on her face. “I'mm so happy for you and Kakashi!” She cried.