Chapter Three: The Sand's Call

“What?! A C-ranked mission?!” Naruto yelled. “You got a problem?!” Tsunade demanded, her face hardened in agitation. “I'll have to say no thanks to a mission like that.” Naruto declared snobbily. “Ugh, Naruto, you haven't matured mentally at all, have you..?” Iruka inquired in exasperation.

“Naruto, I gave you an easier mission since this is more or less a comeback for you,” Tsunade explained calmly. "What?! I didn't ask for this!” Naruto shouted. The senseis exchanged a look. 'Kami help us..'

“I'm sorry, Master. I'll give him a scolding later!” Sakura assured as she jumped on Naruto.

“The details of the mission are in this scroll,” Kakashi stepped toward to take the document. “Geez, the Old Man Third was much more understanding.” Naruto muttered. “Huh? Do you want to say that louder?!” Sakura spazzed and covered Naruto's mouth with her hand. “Hey! Knock it off, Naruto!” Kasumi backed away from them slowly, not wanting to get caught in the crossfire. She took her place beside Kakashi. Their arms touched.

Suddenly, a woman burst into the room. “L-Lady Fifth, there's trouble!”

“We just received an emergency message from the Sand.” She explained hurriedly and out of breath. Naruto and Sakura paused in their blathering. “The Sand..?”

The woman from the deciphering unit placed the paper on Lady Tsunade's desk. “This is what we've deciphered so far.” After she scanned the document, her eyes narrowed. “What?” She murmured to herself. “Hey.. what happened?” Naruto urged. She lowered the paper.

“The Kazekage of the Sand has been captured by members of the organization called the Akatsuki.” Tsunade informed. “Gaara..?” Naruto mumbled. “We have more information concerning the Akatsuki. The Hidden Sand has requested our help in this matter..” She trailed off and Shizune began to object. “Lady Tsunade, you can't be thinking of sending Team Kakashi..?”

Tsunade interrupted, “This is an emergency. I cannoy be wasting time by making personal selections. And besides, we have both Kakashi and Kasumi who have fought against the Akatsuki before. I will now issue Team Kakashi a new mission: Go to the Village Hidden in the Sand immediately and find out what's going on there, then report to the Leaf. After that is completed, you will follow the orders of the Hidden Sand and provide them with assistance!”

“We leave in fifteen minutes.”

*

Kakashi grabbed Kasumi's sword from the corner of the room and put it in a scroll for her. She smiled in thanks and placed the scroll in her backpack along with clothes, extra kunai and shuriken, rope, wire, and scrolls of paper bombs. She filled the pouch on her thigh with weapons. Then she handed a bento box of food to her husband.