Y3 C4~ Boggart // Hogsmeade

A mahogany cupboard rattled and shook amply from behind the new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Lupin. My eyes were glued to its shakiness as his words contrasted against the sound of the cupboard's pegs knocking against the ground as it thrashed from side-to-side.

"Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what is inside?" Professor Lupin asked us with a warm smile, eyes grazing over us to see who would raise their hand.

A Gryffindor student named Dean Thomas ultimately broke the silent class, "That's a boggart, that is."

Lupin nodded his head, looking satisfied with the answer. "Very good, Mr Thomas. Now, can anybody tell me what a boggart looks like?"

"No one knows," Hermione stated from behind me suddenly, making me flinch. She ignored my reaction. When did she get here? I swore she wasn't here— "Boggarts are shape-shifters. They take the shape of whatever a person fears the most. That's what makes them so...-"

"-So terrifying, yes, yes, yes..." Lupin finished for her, nodding in approval. "Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart. Let's practice it now. Without wands, please." He held his hands up, pinching his index and thumb together. "After me. 'Riddikulus'!"

"Riddikulus!" We echos all at once, repeating the charm, albeit the pronunciation sounded off.

"Very good," the professor praised, grinning, "a little louder and very clear. Listen: Riddikulus!" We repeated the charm once again, sounding clearer this time. Professor Lupin smiled with content at the improvement.

"This class is ridiculous." Draco murmured irritatedly from over my shoulder.

Without thinking about it properly, I snapped around and glared. My eyes drifted down to his arm in the sling then back at his silver eyes. "Stop complaining or I'll give you a genuine reason to wear that sling." He was always complaining about his classes and it was getting annoying.

He looked at me in surprise, as if he wasn't expecting my retort. His lips parted to speak, but then he didn't say anything. His eyes became locked on mine and neither of us said anything. I felt my expression soften, cheeks growing warm at his unwavering stare. I didn't know why I didn't look away. It felt like I was paralysed.

"Very good. So much for the easy part," I blinked back to reality when Lupin's voice is heard again, "you see, the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a boggart is laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing. Let me explain," he looked amongst us all before landing on Neville. "Neville, would you join me, please? Come on, don't be shy."

Neville slowly approached the teacher, looking anxious as Lupin encouraged him. "Hello. Neville, what frightens you most of all?" Neville muttered something under his breath, but it's so faint none of us heard. "Sorry?"

Neville spoke up so we could hear him coherently. "Professor Snape."

Lupin smiled ironically. "Professor Snape. Yes, frightens all," he jested in an attempt to make Neville feel better, "you live with your grandmother-" he started, but was cut off mid-sentence.

"I don't want it to turn into her, either." Neville shot out almost frantically, sounding stressed. The class laughed at his reaction, including me.

Lupin's voice drowned out when I felt the fabric of the school's uniform brush against my forearm. I whizzed around to see what it was and saw Draco had moved away from the wall he slouched against to stand next to me. I didn't question it, feeling a small smile twitch on my lips.

"We don't need to hear. As long as you see it, we'll see it," I heard when I paid attention back to the class, "now, when I open that wardrobe here's what I want you to do. Excuse me," he whispered something to Neville, and I tried to listen in - the attempt was futile. "Can you do that? Yes. Wand at the ready. One, two, three."