Y1 C7~ Dinner at Midnight

Standing beside my welcoming mother, I greeted arriving guests politely as they stepped through the front door in expensive clothing. Of course, all the guests were purebloods of status, most of them working with my father in the Ministry.

This was the first time we had a Christmas dinner, and I was told at partially the last minute guests would be arriving and I had to be ready and presentable. I was already overwhelmed at the amount of people that had turned up thus far.

I grew tired of standing in the same place after nearly half an hour, and judging by my mother's forced smile and tired-looking eyes, she was too. I could also tell by the way she constantly shifted her weight to each leg, signalling that her legs were getting sore from standing for too long.

I had quickly noticed also that she was back to her normal self, which baffled me. Hours ago she was absent for the day in her room, and I had to open Christmas presents on my own with only Zinky as company. Now, she was acting as she always did prior to my return from Hogwarts.

These Christmas holidays had been peculiar, to say the least. I didn't understand anything that was going on, nor the cause of it. But I did know one thing for certain: My family had many secrets, and it wasn't likely that I would be discovering the truth for awhile. And while all families had secrets, mine was desperate to keep them.

Noticing my slight slouch in posture, my mother quickly tapped the smaller portion of my back, and I instantly corrected my stance, straightening my back.

Just when I thought the last of the guests were arriving, I felt my throat go dry when two patches of familiar platinum blond locks - and one grey with blonde streaks - stepped through the front door proudly, their dress clothes matching in shade.

Draco Malfoy and his family had arrived for the Christmas dinner, as well.

Recognising them, my mother smiled genuinely towards the three, and it clicked quickly with me that they were without a doubt acquainted with each other at the very least.

"It's lovely to see you again, Narcissa," My mother said as she leaned in to kiss Draco's mother on the cheek. Draco's mother did the same, returning the smile kindly and angling her head to kiss my mother's cheek.

"Quite," Letting out a relaxed sigh as she looked around. "My, your place remains to be as beautiful as when I last visited all those years ago." Narcissa's eyes landed on me as I fumbled with my fingers nervously behind my back. "This must be Y/n," she said brightly. "You're simply beautiful, dear."

I forced a grin despite feeling put on the spot, trying to avoid any sort of eye-contact with Draco so it wouldn't be awkward.
"Thank you, Mrs Malfoy."

Narcissa then looked around where she stood, before spotting Draco - who was looking tense by his father's side - and ushering him forwards. "I'm sure you've met my Draco at Hogwarts, yes?" she pried as he stepped forwards with his mother's palm behind his shoulder.

Being unable to a void it, I switched my gaze to Draco, but quickly noticed the stiffness in the way he stood. And I knew, he was just as surprised to see me as I was to see him. He must not have known whose dinner party he were attending.

"We're in the same house." I replied back to his mother as I looked back towards her, avoiding mentioning anything else and smiling gently.
Draco looked almost amazed I hadn't said anything else, but kept his lips tightly shut.

Narcissa smiled at me, nodding in understanding. She hadn't noticed Draco's slight unease.

Lucius then stepped through, locking his hard eyes onto mine. "Pleasure to finally meet you," Lucius said in satisfaction, his lips twisting in what I assumed to be an attempt at a smile. "Your father has told me all about you. Draco, as well."