Y6 C2~ Amortentia

After Harry and Ron had made quite an entrance into Slughorn's potions class, I made sure to grab Harry's hand and pull him beside me after he and Ron were moments away from disappearing into the back of the gathered students. No offence to either of them, but I knew if I let them go to the back they wouldn't pay attention, and they wouldn't be able to pass as a result. I love them both, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw them enter the room. I didn't know they had made it into Advance Potions.

"Now as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?" Slughorn asked as he gestured towards the two cauldrons filled with two seperate potions, and tiny vial that each hung from a potion stand.

Hermione was quick to raise her hand, expected of the high-achiever.

Slughorn's face lit up slightly. "Yes, Miss...?" He trailed off after inquiring her name.

Hermione lowered her hand. "Granger, sir," She answered, before looking towards the three strong-scented potions. "That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that one— It's terribly tricky to make. This is Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumoured to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example, I smell...-"
She leans in closer.
"Freshly mown grass and new parchment and...". She hesitated, looking flustered and partly overwhelmed by the strong aroma. "...Spearmint toothpaste."

She snapped out of it when Slughorn interjected.
"Now Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible, but it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." He finished, summarsing the potion, that I found myself intrigued by for no apparent reason.

"Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one."

A look of realisation struck his features. "Oh yes. What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is a curious little potion, known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly known referred to as—"

"Liquid luck." Hermione interrupted, out of habit which she acquired from her years of schooling at Hogwarts subconsciously.

"Yes, Miss Granger. Liquid luck. Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you'll find that all of your endeavours succeed."
I felt Draco's form stiffen slightly, and noticed he had finally seen to have his attention taken. But why Liquid Luck?, I wondered.
"At least until the effects wear off. So this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck to the student who in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Dead. Recipes for which can be found on page ten of your books. Issue one doubt, however. Only one set of student manage to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence."

Before going to my own bench to make a start on the challenge, I gravitated towards the Amortentia cauldron, being as subtle as I could to try and see what I would smell from the "love" potion. Everyone was so set on getting Liquid Luck, that I wasn't even spotted— at least that's what I was hoping.

I waited a moment and let the scents sink in: burnt wood, mint and... rain.

An interesting combination, they seem to be almost completely unrelated besides the fact that they all somehow correspond in some way to nature. The scents to me were beautiful, but I couldn't help but wonder why those three stuck out the most.

Was I secretly supposed to be a camper? Who knows.

I was taken from my thoughts at Slughorn's voice, "Merlin's beard! It is perfect! So perfect I'd just say one drop would kill us all!" Lovely. Wait— did I seriously just spend the whole lesson spelling Amortentia? Oh my god, one job, Y/n. For Merlin's sake.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

I had chosen to keep Hermione company since she wanted to see the Quidditch trails for Gryffindor and support Ron for making an effort to secure a place for himself on the team for the year.

"Y'know," I started, jabbing her in the ribs and nodding my head towards Cormac. "I think he fancies you."
She looked bewildered at my words. "No— no he doesn't," she spluttered. "He's just... being friendly."

"Oh, no no no. Don't give me that, Hermione; I've heard it all before." I said in a sing-sone voice, finding this tremendously amusing— for me. "He's in lo-o-ove!" I preached; dragging the 'o' in love.

Her face flushed red and I knew she had some kind of feelings towards Cormac, even if they were small. I suddenly went serious; grabbing her shoulders and forcing her to face me.

"Promise me one thing, 'Mione." I said seriously, staring intensely towards her to add suspense.
"What is it?" She asked me hesitantly, expecting something bad.
"Please, for the love of Merlin, not another Krum situation. You saw how Ron got last time." I said dramatically, making her sigh in relief at how simple the request actually was.
She shook her head at the thought. "Of course not. Never."