Y4 C4~ Professor Moody

"Alastor Moody," The New Defence Against Dark Arts teacher announced his name as he scribbled it down messily onto the blackboard, practically slamming the white chalk into the board. I'm just surprised it didn't break. "Ministry malcontent. And your new defence against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

The class was silent as he looked at us all expectantly. Mad-Eye looked at me with a raised eyebrow, as if he knew exactly who I was... He gave Draco the same look."When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

"Three sir." Hermione answered without a trace of hesitance; as expected of her.

Mad-Eye seemed satisfied with the response, before pushing for elaboration. "And they are so named?" I found it quite strange to be learning about illegal curses for our first DADA class for our year. Surely he could've found a way to transition gradually into the topic, but I'll admit it's pretty interesting.

Hermione looked uncomfortable. "Because they are unforgivable," she spluttered almost awkwardly, like it was a no brainer - which it was. "Use of any one of them will..." she trailed off, not wanting to finish the sentence.

"Will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban," He finished her sentence so she wouldn't have to. "Correct. Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk, Mr Finnigan!" I jumped at the sharpness and suddenness of his shout.

Mad-Eye threw the chalk in what I assumed was surprise. "So, which curse shall we see first? WEASLEY!" He called out unexpectedly, making me jump in my seat for a second time. Can he stop doing that oh, my god.

Ron stood up abruptly upon being called out, looking ready to shit his pants. "Yes..." Ron said cautiously, his voice squeaky and shrill.

Professor Moody waved his hands exaggeratedly at Ron's hesitance. "Give us a curse."

Ron responded slowly, as if he shouldn't be saying it in the first place, "Well, my dad did tell me about one... The Imperious Curse." His voice was low, so I doubt the students at the back could hear him. I knew about the Imperious Curse, but something about hearing it didn't sit well with me, like I knew what it looked like, even though really I didn't.

Professor Moody nodded. "Ahhh yes, your father would know all about that. Gave the ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why." Mad-Eye walked over to the teacher's desk beside the blackboard and popped open a jar with a strange-looking spider inside.

He took the abnormally large spider in his palm. "Hello. What a little beauty." I scrunched my nose at the 'spider'. All I know, is that if that thing was in my room I would smack the shit out of it.

Moody used his wand to send the spider around the class, hovering and passing our heads as its legs were going haywire. "Don't worry. Completely harmless." The professor assured nonchalantly, still flinging it around.

The class remained unsettled, ducking whenever it flew over.

"But if she bites... she's lethal!" The professor added casually with a tinge of excitement.

Draco laughed from his seat next to me like it's funny, and suddenly Mad-Eye's attention snapped to him.

Mad-Eye's happy - or really, excited - expression instantly shifted to a look of anger. "What are you laughing at?" He demanded at the blond, flinging the spider onto Draco's face as he yelled to get it off, smacking his mates repeatedly to get them to do something. I grinned but used the back of my wrist to hide it so I wouldn't be targeted.