Y5 C5~ Draco's Help

I walked out of Umbridge's office clutching my left hand to my chest, my head hanging low as I kept my gaze to the floor whilst walking back to my dorm. Pain stung at my hand as the salty tears stuck in the corners of my eyes grew thicker. If only I hadn't tried to be a smartass during detention, then I wouldn't have had to write double. At this rate, I'd possibly end up having a permanent scar.

A single tear hit the floor as I glanced at my red hand and wiped some of the blood off with the sleeve of my robe, hissing at the painful contact I had unintentionally given myself. Only now, after the second detention (which was by far worse than the first), was when I believed that I should stop disobeying Umbridge, surrender my loyalty and just behave. If I kept out of trouble, I could avoid detentions, and maybe even earn Umbridge's trust.

"Back from another detention, are we?" The familiar voice of Draco Malfoy spoke. I could practically hear the smirk in his voice as he saw me walk out of Umdridge's office. My heart froze as I dragged my eyes from the floor to him. He did warn me, but I didn't listen. This wasn't the first time I had been told in advance about behaving and being careful. During my second year of Hogwarts Lucius Malfoy did warn me about my attitude and how it would get me in trouble. Now look where we are.

I grimaced at his smirk as he glanced at my sore, clutched hand. Of course he'd love seeing how right he was about the warning he had given me (for reasons that are unknown to me). Just another excuse to boost his ego, I thought. It sucked more because I actually had feelings for someone like him, which aggravated me further. Hair feel in front of my eyes.

I didn't feel like arguing.
"None of your business." I stated nonchalantly, though my eyes still felt glazed over. They were probably red.

He tore his gaze away from my hand to my eyes, giving me another smirk. "Let's see what it's for this time." Taking me by surprise, Draco forcefully grabs my left wrist and yanks me forward, clasping his free hand onto my right and holding it above my head when I tried to push his hands away.

His eyes trail the words 'I must not argue with the professor' freshly cut into my hand. There was a flicker of worry in his eyes that I didn't notice, while I was busy trying to pull my hands away from his iron grip.

"Knew it." Draco says, unsurprised; expertly masking the burning feeling in his stomach. "Told you to behave, but you don't listen."

"Who says I have to listen to you?" I snap, pulling my right hand out of his, using it to pry his other hand off my left wrist. He definitely let me, before it was nearly impossible to remove his hold. I narrowed my eyes at him. The last thing I need is a 'told you so' moment.

"No need to get feisty, Y/n." He teases, holding his palms up defensively and taking a step closer, making me take a step back.

"That's Shade to you." I retort.
"Have it your way." He says, winking at me.
My heart just stopped working.

I rolled my eyes to hide my growing grin. "Whatever. If you excuse me, Malfoy, I'm going to bed." I say sharply, spinning on my heel and walking away, but before I get a chance to take another step, he swiftly grabs my elbow, spinning me around making us chest-to-chest.

So close. We were a whisper away from-
If I just moved my head a bit-
No, Y/n. Stop.

He brings his lips to my ear and whispers, "I'd be careful if I were you." Chills went down my spine as I felt his breath against my neck. "Wouldn't want anymore detentions with Umbridge, would we?" Before letting go of my wrist and walking away as if nothing happened.

I stood there completely baffled. The mixed feelings I was receiving was making my head spin.

I quickly shook my head and headed for my Common Room, being careful and as quiet as possible so I wouldn't get caught. Now all I could think about is what just happened— only, I don't even know myself what just happened. I headed around a corner before I heard Filch's voice,
"Come, Mrs Noris. There are no students here."

I quickly jumped back and hid behind the wall before quickly realising that he has to pass me to leave the current hallway, and there was no where else to hide. This was it. Just after I decided to behave, I would end up in detention for a third time. Just my luck.

I heard Mrs. Norris meow in my direction. Yup, this is it. Stupid cat.

"What is it, Mrs Norris?" Filch asks his cat (rather creepily, I'd like to add), staring off into the direction I was in. I quickly cover my mouth so they don't hear my heavy breathing as I leaned my head back on the cold wall, hoping a secret door would just appear as a means of escape.

Filch's footsteps get closer and closer with each step, making my heart pace quicken until I was sure it would explode at the rate it was beating. I force my eyes shut as if that would turn me invisible; before I heard someone rush past me and block me from Filch's view.

I slowly open my eyes and see someone talking with Filch. Draco, more specifically. How did he know? Was he here to help or sell me out? Please get me out of this mess.

"What are you doing out of bed, Mr Malfoy?" Filch asks, eyeing Draco suspiciously up and down. I watched them carefully, ready to duck back behind the wall in the case that Filch happens to glance my way.

"I'm a member of the Inquisitorial Squad," Draco answers in a matter-of-fact tone. Possibly because he remembered I was still hiding, Draco stopped Filch from passing quickly, almost panic-like. "T-There's a student out of bed!" Draco said a little too quickly.

NO!

"Who?" Filch asked in a low voice, thought excitement was evident.
"U-Um. They went this way." Draco insisted, pointing in the opposite direction I was in. Thank you!
"Come, Mrs. Norris. We have a student to punish."

The squib turned around and sauntered away, his footsteps getting quieter and quieter the further he progressed through the hall. My heartbeat slowed back down to it's regular pace. I huffed with relief.

Draco let out a sigh, and without turning around, he said with an unfamiliar gentleness to me, "Hurry up and go to your dorm." His head was angled partly to the floor as if he were thinking about something. His hands were held stiffly to his sides in loose fists.

I scurried past him to the Slytherin dorms quietly, knowing well that I wouldn't find myself in detention again for the meantime. Closing my dorm's door quietly, I crept into bed, not bothering to change, and stared at my hand as I rolled to my side, smiling to myself.

Why did Draco save me from getting caught?