Thirty Nine

Namjoon watched in horror, everything happening in slow motion. His hand shot out, a gust of wind shooting out, but he knew it would be too slow, it wouldn’t reach them in time. 

The man grabbed a random horse, throwing the soldier off of it and galloping over as he watched Jimin fall completely from the wall. 

But to his surprise, someone else rushed to the wall, reaching out for his husband. Namjoon narrowed his eyes, galloping closer, pushing the horse faster, and soon realized that it was Jaebum.

What was he doing up there?

But Namjoon watched as the man tried to grab Jimin, but just barely missed. 

And then jump from the wall himself, grabbing his husband and spinning their bodies so that he was underneath.

“Fuck!” Namjoon stood from the horse, using his ability to shoot a gust of wind at his feet, shooting him froward. 

He was so close. So close. 

But to his surprise, Jaebum and Jimin disappeared suddenly. 

Namjoon froze, looking around frantically, feeling like his heart was going to burst from his chest from how scared he was, not knowing where his husband was, where his child was. 

And suddenly they were there, right in front of him, Jaebum holding Jimin in his arms, a small bundle in his husband’s arms. Namjoon did his best not to shove Jaebum completely away, but he basically did, clutching Jimin to his chest.

The queen was bleeding, his eyes closed, the arrow that had struck him still protruding from his back. 

“Fuck. Fuck, fuck fuck!” Namjoon shouted. “Jimin. Dove. Please, please stay with me. Be strong.”

The queen was breathing heavily, struggling to inhale oxygen into his lungs. He cracked his eyes open, struggling with even the miniscule task. The queen let out a miniscule smile, his arm shakily reaching up and caressing Namjoon’s face. “I love you.” He managed, barely above a whisper. 

“J-Jiminie. Dove, please.” Namjoon choked out a sob, running a hand gently over his queen’s face. “Please.”

Jimin let his hand fall, instead pushing the small bundle in his arms towards Namjoon now. The man shakily grabbed it, releasing another sob as he looked at his son’s face for the first time. “J-Jin-ho.” Jimin whispered. “Take...Care….o-of Jin-ho.”

“N-no! Jimin? Jimin!” Namjoon leaned down, his son still in his arms, reaching it with one to clasp around Jimin. “Together. We'll take care of him together, please!”

But Jimin merely shook his head, relaxing into his husband’s embrace. 

“Seokjin!” Namjoon screamed, turning. 

The healer was running over already, and he reached them soon after. He kneeled beside Jimin, his hands out, his eyes glowing softly. He closed his eyes, clenching his teeth as he tried. 

Namjoon helped by removing the arrow, and Jin tried to close the wound. 

But he’d spent most of his energy healing Taehyung earlier. And now healing someone who’s even more far gone than Taehyung…

He didn’t have the strength.

His hands began to shake, and soon he knew that is he continued, he would do more harm than good. He stopped, and Namjoon turned, staring at him. 

“What are you doing?” He demanded. 

“I-I can’t. I’m sorry.” Jin whispered. “I don’t have any strength left.”

“What do you mean!?”

“I-I’m sorry.”

“No. No, no, no.” Namjoon turned to his now unconscious husband, sobbing freely as he bent over, pressing their foreheads together. “Dove.” He whispered. 

“He should be able to make it if we wrap the wound now, take care of it in a more conventional way.” Jin added quietly. “But he’s probably going to be unconscious. There’s been too much blood loss. We’ll need to get back to the castle and have another healer look at the wound, probably do a blood transfusion. The arrow didn’t go all the way through, and it’s so close to his heart, Namjoon. I’d be surprised if it didn’t hit something.”

Namjoon grit his jaw, nodding. The king then turned to the other man, still sitting there. “Why were you there!?”

“I went to go and rescue Jimin.” Jaebum replied calmly. Namjoon Let Jin take Jimin, rushing him off back towards his men. There was no guilt in his eyes. “I know my father, better than any of you do, and if you think that he was going to play fair, you have another thing coming for you. I wanted to stop it, I have a small teleportation ability, you see. But only a few feet, so I had to be close to the ground before I could use it if I didn’t want us to fall again.”

Namjoon released a low breath. “I’m going to believe you.” Namjoon whispered. “But that doesn’t mean I trust you.”

“I’m aware.” Jaebum said, bowing his head shortly. “I hope to gain that trust someday.”

Namjoon nodded and stood, looking down at his son and giving him a really good look for the first time.

He was beautiful. A perfect combination of him and Jimin. 

Namjoon felt a fresh wave of tears come to his eyes, and he cradled his son closer to his chest, walking back towards his men. He carefully mounted his horse and took off, Jin having already run off with Jimin on a horse of his own, back to the castle. 

It was at least a three days journey, but Namjoon was willing to miss sleep and rest stops that he’d had to take with a large force of men. 

He galloped and pushed his horse to exhaustion, using his ability and making the winds blow with them to aid in their swiftness home.