Chapter Thirty Five: Saint Mungos

- JAMES -

A dull throb on the back of my neck and sudden sharp poke in my core tore me from my restless sleep. I started, jolting upwards in the hard plastic chair I'd dozed off in.
"Wha- ?" I mumbled wildly, feeling around for my glasses to distinguish the blurry figure standing before me. The figure chuckled.
"It's Marly."
A small hand found mine, forcing glasses into my palm. I fumbled with the temples, slamming them onto my face while blinking heavily.
"Marls." I rubbed my neck with a hand, lifting my gaze to scan her face. "You look...-"
"Awful?" She grinned, but it didn't reach her eyes. Marlene glanced down the corridor, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear distractedly. I winced, following her gaze as a round, short woman bustled after a desperate looking man clutching a tiny baby to his chest.
"I was going to say exhausted." I mumbled as we watched the man take off down the hall with a triumphant cry sound of relief, the round nurse hurrying after him with her clipboard.
"I wonder what happened." Marlene murmured, staring after them. A second passed before she tore her gaze back to me and smiled. My eyebrows tugged into a frown as I studied her heavily bruised under eyes and knotted hair, messily pulled back into a bun at the nape of her neck. Those soft brown eyes were haunted, but through all of it - Marlene was smiling. And in her Gryffindor pyjamas still, Sirius's baggy T-shirt hanging off of her like a sack. I swallowed audibly, glancing down to study my stretched out hands. But the gore and blood that had covered so much of my skin had vanished. I closed my eyes, blocking out the feeling of Sirius's warm blood pouring into my arms, my hands, keeping the wound shut with nothing but a shitty T-shirt -
"It was Flea." Marlene said, jolting me out of my reverie. My eyes snapped open to her face, where lines of concern greeted me.
"What?" Flea. My Dad's nickname. He must have cleaned me up while I was asleep.
"I'm spooked too." She murmured after a moment, watching me carefully. "I can't stop seeing your face when you told me it was him. The blood."
I forced back prickling in eyes, hurriedly looking away. Never afraid to be open - she gave everything and never looked back.
"His blood was everywhere." I said quietly, turning to glance down the corridor at our left. "I didn't think - I had no idea if...it all happened so fast." I inhaled sharply, shaking my head. "How long was I out?"
Marlene watched me for a few more moments before offering me a slender hand, her lips twitching slightly.
"Long enough."
I stared at her, accepting the hand and running the other through my dishevelled hair as she tugged me out of the terribly uncomfortable hospital chair.
"Thanks. And, what do you mean?"
She sighed slightly, linking her arm with mine.
"You fell asleep there for a few hours, but I thought you'd wake up awfully uncomfortable." She gave me a side glance, giving my arm a little squeeze. "And also - he's is awake. He's absolutely fine, just exhausted. I knew you'd be angry if I didn't wake you, and I'm sorry I didn't come find you straight away, but -"
Marlene was hardly able to finish her sentence as I dropped her arm and sprinted directly towards Sirius's ward, the sign reading:
'LETHAL CUTS, BITES, AND BLOODY WOUNDS.'
My shoes squeaked along the line floors as I skidded to the door Sirius had been barricaded in for two days - third on the left - not even bothering to knock before flinging the door open and throwing myself into the room. I tripped over the threshold, my knees buckling beneath me as I almost flew face forward into the ground if Marlene hadn't come to my rescue. She gripped onto the crook of my elbow, laughing in my ear as she helped steady me. An amused snort issued from feet away, barely audible over Marlene's own laughter.
"Now I've really put you in a tizzy, haven't I?"
I spun around in search of the croaky voice that had issued from a single hospital bed in the middle of the room, a laugh of relief on my lips. Sirius was sitting propped against several pillows, grinning himself silly. I ignored his snide remark, feeling a wide grin split across my cheeks. I'd almost forgotten how to smile; it felt alien after two days hours of not hearing a thing.
"Pot calling the kettle black." I said with an easy grin.
Sirius smirked back just as carelessly. "Well - that is my name."
I shook my head exasperatedly. "Of course you'd be one to make puns on your death bed."
Sirius rolled his eyes. "Where's Mum and Dad?"
We both looked to Marlene.
"They're eating." She explained, gesturing to the door with her thumb. "I might go grab a crumpet and tea or something. You want a coffee, James?"
"Yeah, I'd love one." I replied as she turned to leave. "Cheers, Marls."
"I'll see you soon." She promised, blowing a kiss to the both of us before the door swung shut. I turned Becky to face Sirius who was stilling grinning, face paler than usual. My smile faltered as I studied his ragged appearance. His lips were chapped and lank hair messily tied back, the pale skin of sculpted chest bare. I hesitated, opening my mouth to speak -
"Just c'mere already mate." Sirius said gruffly, lifting his arms from the snug white quilt tucked around him.
I watched him wince slightly at the movement and frowned.
"Or not," He suggested, rolling his eyes. I laughed, the sound a half choked sound of relief, and almost rugby tackled him into his pillows. He barked out a laugh, thumping me on the back heartily as I buried my face into his shoulder, giving his middle a tight squeeze.
"Sorry." My voice came out muffled.
"Shut up, Prongs."
We pulled away from a moment, Sirius taking a deep breath as I dabbed at my eyes, looking around for a chair.
"Get off it." Sirius grinned, patting the sheets with a hand. I snorted, slipping my favourite jacket off and lifting myself onto the end of his bed.
"What's the deal then, eh?" I murmured, nudging his knee  lightly as I crossed my legs.
"I'm good as gold, mate." He gave me a weak smile, letting his head thump back against his pillows. "Proper tired, but not a werewolf."
"That's a bonus." I mused, to which Sirius responded with a snort.
"According to the healers," he went on, itching his armpit. "I'll have no side effects, or any long term pain, but apparently I'm going to start liking my steaks a bit rarer from now on." He rolled his eyes. "What an issue."
I didn't have the energy to grin, letting slip a tiny sigh of relief.
"Thank Merlin." I said quietly, his blood matted fur flashing in my mind. "Almost lost you there, mate."
Sirius fake retched into his elbow. "Come on Prongs, don't get all sissy on me."
"I'm being serious."
"Impersonating me again?" His lips tugged into a grin.
I rolled my eyes and he laughed, his shoulders shaking.
"I had to."
"I'm not kidding."
His grin faltered slightly, and I watched Sirius's grey eyes darken. "I know you're not."
"I didn't know what to do." My voice became strained as a sudden wave of emotion took a toll over me, the past two days hitting me with the force of an oncoming train. I gripped his leg tightly, forcing myself to stare into his shadowed eyes. "Don't ever do that shit to me again."
I thought about how Marlene's face had crumpled when I told her what had happened. How I'd been unable to stop crying an hour later in the waiting room when I'd wanted to do was scream, but Marlene had been there - hugging me so tightly I couldn't breathe.
"Missus said the exact same thing." Padfoot grinned. "You two buggers have softened in the past few days, you know. Frank and Ali have finally gotten to you."
I narrowed my eyes at him. "Sirius."
He blew out a heavy sigh, closing his eyes. "I know James. I know."
I studied his pale face, unable to shake the feeling of his warm blood pouring onto my hands as I held his wound shut. The sound of his cry echoed through my mind, the rasping wheeze of his breath when I'd thought that my best friend had been about to die in my arms and there was nothing I could do. Sirius held me gaze, his dark eyes flickering as if he too, remembered.
"Don't pull that shit, Sirius." I whispered, gripping his leg tightly. "I...I don't know what I would've done. You almost died. You almost died." I repeated, letting the words sink in. "What the fuck would I have done?"
"Are you saying this is my fault?" He raised an eyebrow.
"No!" I exclaimed frustratedly, letting go of him. "You just have this weird self sacrificing thing going on -"
"You're one to talk." He laughed bitterly, glancing away. "I've always been more selfish than you."
"This isn't about me." I said lowly, breathing a curse. "You can't do this, Sirius. Don't put yourself in danger like how you did - the risk -"
"I can't promise that James, and you know it." He interrupted a little coldly. "You would've done the same - don't you even try to deny it. What's happened to you? I thought a bit of risk was what you lived for." He fiddled with the thread of his quilt, a frown tugging at his thick eyebrows. I opened my mouth to speak and closed it again, turning to look up at the ceiling. His gaunt face flashed in my mind, blood bubbling from his bloodless lips.
"I'm sorry." I forced out after a moment. "I can't help it. I thought you were dead."
Sirius shifted. I turned my head down from the ceiling in time to see him flinch.
"There was bloody everywhere." My voice started to shake. Sirius's eyes flickered upwards, meeting mine. "You couldn't breathe. You almost died. And I sat in that waiting room for two days, going barking mad out of my mind," my voice lowered to a whisper as Sirius's grey eyes shone with silver. "Wondering what the fuck I was going to do for the rest of my life without you by my side." I looked away, wiping away a stray tear with the sleeve of my shirt. "I don't know what I'd do without you. You're my brother."
Sirius gave a slight groan, muttering something indistinguishable.
"Marlene told me you were losing it." He said quietly. "She said that at first you were so restless she started considering knocking you out." We snorted. "But then the hours wore on and you became suddenly quiet. Wouldn't respond to anyone. That worried her more than the yelling."
I felt my cheeks warm in shame. "I should probably apologise to the nurse at the counter."
He barked a laugh, shaking his head. "I felt it. That line between life and death."
I snapped my head upwards, remembering the stormy sea of colours that I'd leapt into in my subconscious after Snape had tried to kill me.
"I heard you." He mumbled, scratching his head. "You were running in the snow, trying so hard. And I heard you. Wherever I was going, I heard you, telling me that if I died you'd never forgive me." I laughed, nudging the glasses from my nose to dab at the tears sliding down my cheek.
"I don't remember that," I said hoarsely, shaking my head.
"That's twice you've saved my life, Prongs." He grinned at me, blinking away the silver in his eyes. "I s'pose I owe you."
"The first?" I frowned, pushing my glasses back onto my nose.
"Remember that time I tried to do a backflip from the roof of Potter Manor into your pool?"
"Ah." I grinned as Sirius laughed loudly, his shoulders shaking. "When you were trollied out of your mind on all that gin we stole from Dad. How could I forget?"
"Thanks, Prongs." He sighed after a moment, nudging me in the leg. "Some Doctor told me that whatever you did with your shirt saved me from bleeding out. I guess you're not good for nothing after all."
"Dick." I muttered, trying and failing to fight the smile tugging at my lips.
"Just think," He said quietly, scanning my face. "Rem's claws were aimed at your chest, James."
I inhaled sharply, the memory a little blurry.
"They would have punctured your heart." He continued flatly. "My wound was lethal, but if you'd taken that blow instead, you wouldn't have made it as far as the hospital wing."
I scowled, because I knew he was right. It would be childish to fight over this.
"Fine." I pursed my lips. "I forgive you. I'm just...rattled."
He let out a chuckle at that. "Missed me that much?"
"No," I huffed. "Marlene was hysterical and I needed someone to calm her down." Even though she was calmer than I ever could be.
"I missed you too, Prongs."
"You weren't awake." I pointed out.
"Shut up." He nudged me in the leg, grinning.
"The cheese toasties they have here are really good, by the way." I kicked my sneakers off, settling into the quilt comfortably.
"They don't happen to have rare steak in them, do they?" Sirius grimaced. "I can't think about anything else right now." He paused, pulling back slightly - a sudden glimmer in his eyes. The smile abruptly wiped from my face.
I snorted. "What now?"
Sirius threw the covers from his body, exposing his middle and bright Gryffindor boxers. My eyes widened abruptly at the massive red line that curved from his left hip up and around to his right rib. I let out a low whistle, leaning in to examine the large welt, angry and blistered like a burn. It slashed across his toned stomach and abdominal muscles, accentuating his physique spectacularly. I raised a single eyebrow.
"Blimey." I said, impressed, as Sirius ground his hips and bit down on his lower lip seductively.
"Stop flirting with me. Nice scar, though." I winced as he looked down to study it, tracing a finger along the red scabbing. "Does it hurt?"
"Nah. Sweet, eh?" He grinned, flipping the covers back on with a shiver. "Despite all those bloody hours they spent healing it there wasn't much to do, something about werewolf implications. They have offered a few methods as of, but I said I wanted to keep it." His eyes twinkled. "More impressive than your scars, I'd say."
I let a laugh escape me, snorting at our long everlasting scar competition. It had always been a challenge which we'd both accepted, however Remus had never approved of it. My thoughts grazed to the the scars that adorned my abdomen and collar from Snape, quite a bit smaller than Sirius's.
"You're winning." I gave in, defeated. "That's grim, mate."
"I've been winning a while," he let out a low whistle. I arched a brow in curiosity. A manic gleam shone in his eyes, his grin devious as he continued, "Bloody hell James. I'm telling you, if there's one thing to learn; never underestimate the sharpness of a women's nails....you should see my back, here-"
"I'm alright, mate." I grinned, pushing him back against his pillows at his attempt to turn and show me.
He smirked a little arrogantly. "Sorry, I forget you're not in the playing field. You really are really missing out, Prongs."
"I'm sure." I replied drily.
He grinned apologetically. "Don't worry, you'll never be as good at pleasing the ladies as I."
"Again, I'm sure." I rolled my eyes: My experience, which was practically nonexistent if you don't count a mere makeout session in minimal articles of clothing - was nothing to compare to Sirius's dozens of flowerings.
"I should really teach you my ways, Prongs." He was continung, stroking his chin. "When you and Lily finally snog, I'll give you and Remus a big old speech on the long winding and patient journey of clitoris stimulation."
I choked on my building sentence, lurching forwards onto his bed. Sirius roared loudly and thumped me on the back as I heaved, spluttering on my unspoken words.
"I'm good." I gasped in a slightly strained voice, pulling back to shake my head at him. Padfoot smirked, running a hand through his greasy locks. If he could read my thoughts he would murder me for that.
"Bugger, you're in awfully good spirits for a crippled. What's the plan? How long are you gonna be holed up in here?"
Sirius's grin faltered, immediately replaced with a bitter grimace. "A week, unless my tests say otherwise."
I groaned, running a hand through my hair.
"Shit." I exclaimed suddenly. "Remus." Sirius shared a look with me. "You realise he's going to destroy himself over this?"
He sighed, looking back up to the ceiling.
"I know. No matter how many times we try to convince him it was a mistake, he'll blame himself. And then blame himself for us being animagus, again. And every single one of our life choices."
"He surely understands that it was our choice to do this." I grimaced. "That we knew the risks coming into it. Don't joke about that scar around him, though."
"No." Sirius said, his voice solemn. "I would never, ever blame him for this. The fact that he could think that...this is no one's fault. Not his, mine or yours." He sighed again, meeting my eyes. "Goodluck with dealing with that while I waste away here."
I smiled weakly, but I knew that it didn't reach my eyes.
I stayed with Sirius for perhaps an hour, Marlene and Pete joining me after a few moments. We chatted until the healers practically dragged us out, insisting he needed rest. Despite his protests, Sirius's eyes had begun to droop during the last of our conversation, his yawns becoming more and more frequent.
We met Mum and Dad outside of the waiting room, promising Sirius that we would return soon.
"Awfully perky, isn't he?" Mum tutted, linking arms with Marlene. The two had become fast friends over the last day - of course, she was my distant cousin by blood, so my Mother was more of an Aunty than anything.
"Too perky." I snorted, looking back on his eagerness to discuss sex. Marlene shared a look with me and we both grinned. Now I knew why she'd waited a few moments to wake me, the two probably couldn't stop snogging.
"I don't want to hear it." Mum waved a distracted hand, chuckling quietly.
"I've missed you, son."
I glanced to where Dad stood besides me, his greying hair limp and dark eyes dull with exhaustion. I frowned slightly as he pulled me into a bone crushing hug, taking me by surprise.
"I've missed you too, Dad." I mumbled, letting myself relax in his arms. He pulled away and winked at me, reaching out to ruffle my hair - even though I was now a few inches taller than him.
"I'm proud of you, you know." He said, giving me a side glance as we continued walking after Marlene, Mum and Peter, who were chatting animatedly about school.
"You've grown up a lot." He commented, his bottom lip twitching. "That couldn't have anything to do with a girl now, could it?"
"Dad."
"Hey, I'm being serious." He grinned, his dark brown eyes sparkling.
"You know the drill." We shared a mutual glance and he shrugged, wrapping an arm around my shoulders affectionately.
"There are plenty of fish in the sea." He sighed.
"I don't like the other fish." I grumbled in reply, watching Marlene tilt her head back and laugh loudly at something Mum was saying.
"I felt that way about your Mother." He grinned. I glanced to him, surprised.
"She didn't fancy you at first?"
"Oh, no." He snorted loudly, shaking his head. "Not at all. I was on holiday in Greece for the summer, learning how to be a Muggle lifeguard."
"Yeah, I know that story." I snorted, remembering all of the tales I'd been brought up on. "You're going senile."
"I'm getting there," He scowled, nudging me in the shoulder. "Anyways - your Mother went to the same beach every day, and you best believe I grasped every opportunity there was to talk to her. She told me I was the most arrogant person to ever exist."
"You were the most arrogant person to ever exist."
We turned to where Mum was standing by the entrance way of Mungos, her blue eyes crinkling at the corners from the force of her warm smile.
"Sounds familiar." Marlene said carefully, throwing me a cheeky look. Peter laughed loudly and I glared at her.
"The entire summer passed before I'd managed to give some sort of impression." Dad carried on, leaning in to plant a kiss on Mum's cheek. She rolled her eyes, swatting him away playfully.
"He's telling it wrong." She chuckled, shaking her head.
"He pestered me until his last day in Greece, when he kissed me without my permission and I told him to bugger off forever."
"I didn't know that." I said amusedly as Marlene snorted.
"Went to the airport to catch my plane home with your Grandparents," Dad went on, winking at Mum. "Before all of a sudden deciding to refuse getting on the plane. I ran out of the airport and all the way to the beachfront villa where I knew she was staying. Turns out she was rather fond of me after all."
"He fell to his knees crying, professing his utmost love for me." Mum cut in, rolling her eyes. "He likes to leave out that part."
"James is so much more like you than I thought, Fleamont." Pete grinned, giving me a side glance.
"Shut up." I scowled as Marlene crowed loudly.
"Should we stop for lunch then?" Dad asked, watching the three of us with an amused expression.
"I'm starving," I realised suddenly as my stomach growled, bringing attention to the little amount of food I'd consume in the past two days. "Yeah, please. There's that really nice Italian place on Piccadilly, can we go there?"
"An Italian lunch with the Potters," Marlene mocked in a posh London accent, giving me a teasing Queen-like wave. "How positivity splendid."
"Shove off."
"Do you like Italian, Marlene?" Mum asked her with a warm smile.
"I love it." She corrected, linking arms with me comfortably as a grin lifted at her cheeks. "Italian sounds perfect, Euphemia."
The streets of London were bustling with busy goers getting back to work after the holiday break.
"So, Marlene..." Mum began as we meandered down Trafalgar Square. "How long have you and Sirius been an item?"
Marlene's smile faded slightly and felt her grip around my arm tighten. She cleared her throat, straightening up.
"A few months now." Marly gave a nervous laugh.
"Mum," I said tiredly, glancing to Marlene and giving her a reassuring squeeze. She pursed her lips.
"It's bad enough embarrassing your own son, but Sirius too?"
Euphemia scowled, turning around to give my arm a brief smack. I pulled away, tutting irritably.
"Ow."
Pete chuckled at this, and I jabbed him in the side.
"Sirius is as well my own son as you are mine." Mum said matter of factly, turning to face the swarming city before us. "And I'm not being embarrassing - I was simply going to note how I must congratulate dear Sirius when we see him next. What a beautiful young women that rascal has managed to find."
I glanced down to Marlene in time to see her cheeks warm substantially.
"I hardly think that would be necessary." She excused hastily, waving a distracted hand. "Don't be silly."
Mum turned to give Marlene a disbelieving look.
"I'm very proud of him." She paused to share a loving glance with Dad. "Sirius has struggled, to say the least. I'm glad to see he's found someone who's seemed to have pulled his head in a little." She winked at Marlene, giving her a slight nudge in the arm. "You make a great pair, you know. A very attractive pair, too," she added, to which Dad grinned in agreement.
I felt my heart warm as I watched the smile grow on Marlene's face. Her eyes flickered in the light and I wondered briefly how deep those words went. Mum had always been very open about accepting Sirius - perhaps sharing that same openness with Marlene was a big deal for her.
"She's had an influence on him alright," I grinned at the two of them. "Although I'm not so sure it's a good thing."
"Sod off." Marlene scowled, jabbing me in the ribs. I dodged her blow, chuckling.
"Thank you, Euphemia." She murmured, turning to scan my Mum's warm and slightly rounded face. "That means to me more than you could know."
Mum had scolded Marlene for calling her Mrs. Potter before, insisting on a first name basis. 'Just because I'm old!' She had scoffed, waving her off absently. Sirius, Remus and Peter had always called her Euphemia anyways, Remus adopting the nickname 'Aunty Phew' after our first Christmas at Porter Manor.
We entered the brightly green decorated Italian restaurant on Piccadilly moments later, shutting out the wintry blasts of snow coming in along each street. The five of us sat at a snug booth in the corner where we dug into plates of pasta dishes and several mugs of coffee. We chatted about school, the Heads dorm, and even the recent prank we'd all managed to pull.
"Even Lily joined in." I grinned, scraping my plate clean with a shining silver knife. Dad laughed, spooning a heap of sugar into his dark coffee.
"Lily?" He raised his eyebrows at me. "Godric, how the times have changed, no?"
Mum glanced between the two of us, her eyes twinkling in a way that made me all of a sudden wary.
"Perhaps your newfound maturity may have something to do with this, James?" Dad added after a moment, wriggling his eyebrows at me over the top of his mug as he took his first sip. My cheeks warmed.
"I s'pose." I shrugged, avoiding Marlene's amused gaze. I sensed her and Peter exchange a glance and cleared my throat hurriedly. "Like I said, It's been different this year and...well, she's one of my best friends." I scratched the back of my neck, dragging my eyes to the suddenly very interesting plate of bread between us. Marlene snorted into her glass of water. I glared at her and she hastily composed herself, face wiped of any prior amusement.
Mum hummed in thought as Dad commented slyly, "Well, this is interesting."
"Dad." I groaned, dragging a hand through my dishevelled hair as Marlene snickered from besides me.
"Lily has been slightly more tolerating, yes." She explained after a moment of unspoken questions exchanged between my parents."I'm surprised they've remained civil this far into the year. James hasn't even asked her out once, have you James?" She teased, nudging me in the arm with her elbow.
"I'm just glad she doesn't want to bite my head off any more." I admitted grudgingly, tearing a piece of bread and dipping it in the pot of basil pesto. I glanced up to see my parents watching us with the same mildly amused expressions, Mum sharing a knowing look with Marlene that I didn't want to think about.
I hastily changed the subject to the topic of Quidditch, ignoring Marlene's piercing gaze.
We remained at the Italian restaurant for another half an hour before wandering through the streets for a while, Marlene gawking at the featured fashion items in particular shop windows. As a gift Mum ventured to buy a particular tan coat Marlene couldn't take her eyes off, insisting that it was payment for putting up with Sirius.
"Can't argue with that." Dad said to me fairly, and I snorted.
Eventually, we headed back to Saint Mungos. Sirius was awake and whining about the abysmal food when we returned, but his face split into a grin as he saw Marlene hurtling straight for him. I grinned as they embraced tightly, Marlene pulling back to spoil his paled face in a rain of affectionate kisses.
We stayed by his side until it started to get night, all three of us putting off the eventual return to Hogwarts. By 4:30 Dad insisted we go back, reminding us that we needed to find Remus and see how he was doing. We'd abruptly fallen silent at this, Sirius's smile fading from
his face.
Our goodbye had been tender. We'd embraced for longer than usual, putting a lot of unsaid things into the brotherly hug. I found myself having to surprisingly hold back a few tears, which he really got a kick out of. Once his laughter calmed down he hugged me again, clapping hand to the back of my head affectionately.
"Love you, mate." He'd mumbled into my shoulder, giving me a slight squeeze.
So we returned to Hogwarts, Dad letting us apparate to the Hogsmeade train station and accompanying us up to the front gate where we met Hagrid.
"Alrigh', James? Marly, Pete?" He grinned down at us, throwing a massive arm around my shoulder and giving me a shake.
"Exhausted." Marlene admitted, waving goodbye to parents as we turned to stride up the grand path.
"See you in April!" Mum called out, stretching onto her tippy toes in farewell.
"Love you." I yelled over my shoulder, still grinning at Hagrid. "Knackered and absolutely famished. How've you been?"
Arm in arm, Marlene, Pete, Hagrid and I walked through the gates and into the castle grounds. Both Mum and Dad had appeared rather tearful at the train station. I'd insisted Sirius and I go home for Easter, to which they had responded with the suggestion that the whole lot join us. We had eagerly agreed to this. I considered the rounds of pool and backyard quidditch we would play, swimming in the pool and watching recent films with the box T.V we'd finally figured out how to work.
We bid Hagrid goodbye with a tight squeeze and peck on the cheek from Marly as we reached the courtyard. He grinned at us in farewell, and we watched him amble back down the pathway for a moment before linking arms and turning to face the great open doors.
Marlene's arm slid through mine as we approached the marble staircase, the weight of Sirius's life no longer pressing on us like the whole world was on our shoulders.
"I miss him." She admitted as we approached the seventh floor. My heart twinged as I leant in to rest against the top of her head, sighing deeply.
"I know."
I had no doubt that the image of Sirius's blood dripping from my trembling hands would forever haunt the two of us.
"We'll see him soon." I murmured quietly.

...