Gym Class

??? POV

I walked down the hall with a few of my friends, when suddenly, I bumped into a girl. She let go of her books and they scattered on the floor. Instead of getting mad at me, she bowed and said she was sorry, picking up the books and scurrying off. I wondered who she was, she seemed different and I wanted to know what made her different. Giving my friends a glance, they shrugged and went on their way, while I stayed behind. I noticed a book on the ground and picked it up.

Kang Areum was the name on the label. I would have to go find her and give her the book. Maybe then I could meet her.

~*~

Areum POV

"You're late." He said as I sat down.

"You don't say," I replied as I ran my hand through my hair. He got up and went to my bag and started taking out my supplies for me. "What are you doing?" I watched him.

He placed my math homework on my desk and stared at it. "You didn't finish?"

"I..." He looked at me when I said this with an eyebrow raised. "No, I didn't."

"Meet me here at lunch." He said as he walked out of the room after taking his gym strip.

Odd, I thought. I shrugged and got my own gym strip and went out to the gym. The gym class was composed of my class and another from the older grade. Our gym teacher came to greet us and told us to start by doing five laps to warm up around the gym. I heard the other girls groan while I decided to suck it up and run. I did my five laps and went to the middle of the gym, soon after, everyone began to catch up and end their runs.

"You finished quick." One out of breath boy said.

"Oh, yeah, I guess so," I said awkwardly. "Soojin right?"

"Yep!" He smiled when I remembered his name.

"Twenty-five pushups!" Our teacher yelled, interrupting our conversation.

I got down and immediately started doing push-ups, finishing first. I got up and looked at the teacher, he then yelled out what to do next. Fifteen sit-ups, two minutes of planks and then twenty squats. I did as I was told and once I was finished, I stood up straight, waiting for everyone else to finish.

"Jeez, you're so athletic!" Soojin said once he finished.

"Am I?" I questioned. "I don't think I am."

"You finished before all of us!" He exclaimed. "Plus, you're barely out of breath!"

"I guess so." I shrugged and silenced myself as our teacher came up to us.

"Miss Kang I presume?" He said, eyeing me.

"Yes, Mr..." I trailed off.

"Choi." He finished for me. "You know, I'm surprised to see how well you excelled on your first day."

"Really?" I asked. "Was it outstanding?"

"Yes, typically people have a hard time in my class on the first day." He said.

"Oh, I see," I replied.

"Well, let's get started, yeah?" He turned to the class and started telling us what unit we were doing first.

There were two choices to choose from, dodgeball or basketball. All of the girls went for dodgeball and most guys went for basketball. I, on the other hand, went over to the basketball game. I looked at the guys and they stared at me.

"Can I play...?" I asked.

I saw them start to whisper. One of them, a pretty big and buff guy started a head count. He counted and saw that there were only nineteen people there. He spoke up, getting everyone's attention.

"We might as well let her play. It'll be even." He shrugged and everyone else went with it.

They started by picking captains and picking teams. One by one, everyone was picked. Except for me. Finally, I was put on the team of the one who spoke up. He welcomed me and we went to our side of the court. He was the captain and he began asking me questions about my experience with basketball.

"What position do you think you'll do best in?" He asked with a smile.

"I could do any, I'm typically a point or shooting guard," I explained, watching the reaction on his face. He seemed surprised that I knew the terms.

"Point guard it is." He said. "First shift?"

"Sure." I agreed and watched as he told everyone else their positions.

"Guys, don't forget to pass to her, okay?" He said. "She is new, but that doesn't mean you can exclude her, so don't forget to. If you can't include her, I will replace you with one of the subs." He said strictly.

"Yes, Chan!" They all chorused back.

Finally, five of us went onto the court. Three of them were from the older grade, the other one was from my class. The game started with Mr. Choi throwing the jump ball. The ball was on our side and I got it. The game went on, I was subbed on and off. Finally, there was the last shift and Chan put me on. The game was tied, so I decided I really would try my hardest to win.

The game started and I ran down the court, yelling for the ball. None of the guys passed to me. I was wide open, but they still never passed. Chan seemed to notice and started yelling at everyone.

"Pass to her!" He yelled. "Now!"

Finally, one boy gave in and threw it at me. I looked at the clock. There was a minute and a half left. I sped down the court to the opponent's side and dodged everyone in my way. Running to the hoop, I did a layup and just as the buzzer was going, the ball went in.

--------------------

Enjoying it? I hope you are! I'm amazed, the book already has some rankings! I thought it would have none lol.

If you have music that sounds nice to ready with chapters, maybe recommend them below! I might use those suggestions to a) help me have some inspo and b) for the readers too! Also, if there are any recommendations for awards/competitions I could join on wattpad, please do recommend!

Ps: I saw Heartbeat by BTS... so touching!

See you in the next chapter!

Update 5/22/2020: Since I have so many people supporting my book (THANK YOU) I will be doing the shout outs in chapters that came before when the shout outs started. Thank you <3

Thank you so much _UwU__OwO__UwU_ for supporting this book!