Marriage and Mommies

Lauren ran through the house, scrambling to try and find her favorite pair or black high heels. Her girlfriend was supposed to be here any minute and she still was nowhere near ready. She checked every room in her house twice and still couldn’t find them. The woman let out of sound of distress when she heard a knock at the door and walked over to the entryway, checking her hair in the mirror before opening her door. “Damn it.” She cursed quietly, rubbing out the lipstick in her teeth.

“That’s a bad word, mommy.” Her daughter spoke, still drawing in her Disney princess coloring book on the table in the living room.

Lauren had no idea how she was able to hear that. “I know honey, don’t repeat it, okay?” She told the toddler nicely.

“I know, mommy. It’s only for grownups.” She said, capping her red marker and opening up a blue one to begin coloring in Snow White’s dress.

The green eyed woman smiled proudly, “Good girl.” Lauren opened the door and sighed at relief at the figure on the porch. “Oh good it’s only you.” She walked away and went back to searching for her heels. Normani let herself in and closed the door behind her, taking a seat on the couch behind Lauren’s daughter.

“Hi, Row.” She kissed the top of the girls’ head.

The toddler turned around and wrapped her arms around the familiar woman. “Hi Auntie Mani.” She smiled. “You changed your hair again!” She noticed, running her fingers through the newly-dyed red hair. “I wish I could do my hair like yours.” Rowan frowned, looking down at her boring natural hair.

“Maybe when your mom is on her date.” Normani whispered. Rowan’s eyes lit up and she nodded eagerly. The babysitter smiled and got up from the couch, walking over to the kitchen to get herself a drink. “All ready?” She addressed Lauren who was still looking for her damn heels.

“No.” Lauren groaned. “I can’t find my heels.” She said, looking under the back of the couch.

Normani looked down at her feet and saw the exact pair of heels the woman was looking for. She bent down to pick them up, dangling them by the straps in the back. “Uhh you mean these?” She asks. Lauren looks up and closes her eyes, moving her hand to lightly touch her temple. “Why are you so stressed out?” She chuckles, handing the heels over.

Lauren leans down to slip them on. “Because we’re going to a nice restaurant tonight and I don’t want Camila thinking I’m some slob. I need to look perfect.”

“Lauren, she’s already your girlfriend. You and her have been dating HOW MANY MONTHS and you’re still worried about her thinking you’re a slob? She’s seen you balancing an In N Out burger on your stomach while simultaneously eating a pizza before. How much worse can it get?” Normani asks.

Just then, there was a knock at the door. This time it had to be Camila. “Okay, Mani. Rowan ate a little while ago so you’re not going to need to worry about feeding her, you should start getting her ready for bed around seven. Start with a bath, please. No floods, no candy after eight or she’ll never go to sleep, and no scary movies. I don’t need a repeat of last time. Rowan had nightmares for days. I’ll be home no later than ten.” She gives her friend instructions quickly, walking over to her daughter next. “Rowan, I need you to be a good girl for Auntie Mani tonight, okay? Mommy is going on a date with Camila for a couple hours.”

“Yes, mommy.” Rowan said automatically, still focused on getting this princess colored.

Lauren walked over to the door and opened it, smiling once she saw her beautiful girlfriend standing there. “Hi, Camz.” She exhaled happily.

“Good evening, my lady.” The brunette bent down and extended her arm, holding a rose out to Lauren who took it from her and smelled in the lovey scent. “Are you ready to go?” She asked, standing back up.