Good Girls Better Get Bad

Lauren’s POV

“So, Lauren. Can we fuck now, or what?”

“Excuse me?” I ask, staring back at Camila.

She adjusts her leather gloves, like she’s getting ready to fight again.

But instead, she walks right up to me, backing me up against the concrete wall, with her hands on either side of me.

The ceiling lights flicker above us; just as she leans in, ghosting her lips over mine.

And she whispers, “Well? Do you wanna fuck me, Lauren?”

//

One Week Earlier…

“Get on, Jauregui, or I’m leaving without you.”

Yeah, fucking right.

I scoff, looking out over the deserted town, shaking my head. I bring a hand up to wipe the bloody sand off my eyebrow, on my leather, cut-off gloves.

My grip tightens around the handle of my baseball bat, and I rest its head on the top of my boot, careful not to let the barbed wire touch my shin.

Fuck, I was so close, I almost had her.

I step up onto the metal running board of the truck, grabbing hold of the metal bar welded to the door.

I rap my knuckles a couple of times on the slatted windows, giving Dinah a thumbs up. I watch her secure a crate of bottles on the passenger seat, and she gives me a quick nod in return.

“Let’s roll!”

I hear the rumbling of the engine coming to life, and I hold on tighter as the truck lurches forward.

Thankfully, the ride back to our encampment goes off without any further interruptions. And as soon as we make it through the gates, the younger kids make work of unloading the supplies Dinah and I managed to scavenge out of an abandoned general store.

The dust rolls in as a gust of wind picks up, and I don’t even make it a few steps away from the truck, before I hear a voice call out to me.

“Any trouble out there, Laur?”

I turn back to Ally, shrugging as I answer, “Nope, Al. All good–”

“All good my ass,” Dinah interjects behind me.

A look of worry crosses Ally’s face and she turns to me, asking, “Why, what happened?”

“Nothing, Ally,” I answer. “We found some meds, and a couple of crates of canned stuff. Probably expired, but whatever. Then we came back, that’s it.”

I look over at Dinah, glaring back at her, but she just walks past me with a shrug, saying, “She was there.”

I speed up to catch up with Dinah– damn her and her long legs.

But it’s Ally who gets to me first, and she says, “She? Who’s– ohhh, you mean–”

My anger spikes up, and I raise my voice, saying, “That bitch stole an entire box of antibiotics–”

Dinah gives me a deadpan look, but I keep going, “She lifted it right off the back of the fucking truck! I swear, the next time I see her–”

The sirens above us start wailing, and the three of us immediately go on auto-pilot.

We all immediately fan out in different directions, shouting, and grabbing everybody in sight, and directing them towards the bunker.

I run towards the nearest buildings, peeking in to make sure everyone’s on the move. By now, the older kids know the drill, but the younger ones are clearly stricken and panicked by the piercing sound of the sirens.