In the Ring

Lauren doesn’t believe in violence. She also thinks that boxing is equivalent to violence. Her best friend, Dinah, however, doesn’t.

So when the Polynesian drags her to the “boxing match of the century” between two notorious fighters, Lauren was unhappy to say the least. She just doesn’t understand the fascination to watch two people purposely hurt each other (the cost is also outrageous and downright ridiculous, Lauren thinks).

There, in the ring, stood a small Latina woman with her darker skinned opponent. They were sitting at their individual corners with their coaches hyping them up for the tough fight ahead.

“So, Lauser, the fight is between KCC and Mani K.”

“I know. It’s not like you were talking about it all week or anything, Dinah.”

“And for good reason! These are my two favorite fighters and I have no idea who to cheer on!”

“Just flip a coin or something.”

“Lauser! I can’t just flip a coin!”

Lauren rolls her eyes and the Polynesian woman is quick to smack her arm indignantly.

“Ow! See Dinah, these matches get you violent. You already hurt me enough as is. I still have a bruise from the last time you hit me.”

“Lauren, it was only because you were in the way between Queen Bey and I. She had a special on TV and you weren’t moving so I had to do something!”

“Didn’t mean you had to push me into the coffee table corner!”

“It was my queen’s documentary. That is enough reason to push you.”

“A documentary you’ve seen many times before!”

Dinah’s mouth opens to retaliate but the sharp ringing of the bell signifies the start of the match. Dinah excitedly hits at her arms and turns all her attention to the ring. The boxers in the ring touch their gloves in sportsmanship and the air in the arena becomes tense with anticipation. The boxers side step and weave their way out of incoming punches and Lauren would be lying if she said she weren’t slightly intrigued. Whenever a punch would land, Lauren would perch herself even closer to the edge of her seat and when the final bell rung with a red glove raised in the air, Lauren could feel slight joy when her fighter claimed a rightful victory.

“Damn, what a fight! KCC pulled out all the stops. I’ve never seen her fight like that before. Mani K was always the expected winner only because she had been in the business a little longer than KCC. What’d you think of the fight, Laur?”

“I will admit that I was really interested in it. It was really intense.”

“Do you believe that boxing isn’t violence yet?

“I don’t know, Dinah. Might need more convincing. We just watched two talented fighters beat each other up and I don’t like the little inkling of guilt I’m feeling right now.”

“Well, Lauser, I’ve got one more trick up my sleeve. Come on. I’ve got something to show you.”

Dinah grabs at her wrist and before Lauren knows it, she finds herself standing in front of a largely built man with his arms crossed and a stern look on his face.

“Dinah, how is this going to prove to me that boxing isn’t violence?”

“Just wait, Miss Impatient.”

Lauren hears a silky voice muffle behind the door and the man with the stern face opens it to reveal the darker boxer from the match.

Lauren can feel Dinah’s excitement when she runs to Mani K and hugs her as if she were a best friend.