Intimacy Issues

Lauren stared out in to the darkness in front of her, her eyes unfocused as her thoughts ran rampantly through her head. She wasn’t thinking about anything in particular, just what she’d be making for breakfast in the morning, her upcoming finals for med school in a few weeks, why she felt cold even though her skin was warm to touch because of the number of blankets she was under and because of the fact that she was sleeping next to a human heater. ‘Next to’ not ‘with’, maybe that’s why she was so cold.

She was currently laying with her back to Camila aka the human heater, who also had her back to Lauren. They were facing away from each other with struck Lauren as odd seeing as they would always be cuddling, holding hands, or at least facing each other whilst they slept. It said more about the current state of their relationship than the green eyed girl would care to admit.

They’d been very distant lately and it had caused a rift between them, making their usual easy affection foreign and causing lack of intimacy. As much as Lauren hated to admit it, they currently had intimacy issues. She sighed at the thought.

They were both at fault as they were both consumed and overwhelmed by the amount of studying they had to do for their finals what with Lauren finishing med school and Camila having to study extra hard because she was double majoring which left no time for them to relax together and watch a film, or to just cuddle on the sofa and talk until they fell asleep. The last time Lauren remembered even sharing a meal with her girlfriend was nearly three weeks ago.

I need to fix this, she thought as she rolled over in an attempt to hug Camila from behind, effectively spooning her, hoping it would be a step forward in rekindling their lost intimacy. Unfortunately it was too big of a step forward and Camila ended up being pushed off the bed by Lauren’s misjudgement of how close their backs were to each other.

Before either of them could comprehend what was happening Camila’s eyes opened just to be met with the sight of the bedside table, causing her to squeak in panic, whilst Lauren rolled over only to be confused to see the other side of the bed empty until she heard Camila’s panicked squeak and a loud thud, signalling Camila had met some resistance on the way downand then another louder thud that signalled she had finally landed. ‘Oh my God.’

“Camz?!” Lauren nearly yelled, scrambling to the other side of the bed and searching for her girlfriend in the darkness. When she couldn’t find her, her hand searched blindly for the bedside lamp switch, quickly illuminating the room as well as her girlfriend’s poor attempt at lifting herself off of the floor only for her arms to shake making her fall back to the ground. That triggered a reaction from Lauren and the older girl ended up nearly tangling herself up in the sheets at her haste to get to her girlfriend’s side.

She kneeled down next to Camila and reached to lift the girl’s head off of the floor to inspect it and her eyes widened when she felt a wet and sticky substance on her fingers.

“Fuck.” She whispered to herself, not wanting to alert Camila to her own minor panic.

“Laur?” A wobbly voice asked and Lauren cursed herself internally for not whispering quiet enough.

“Yeah Camz it’s me, are you okay?” She asked levelly, trying to remain calm for her girlfriend’s sake.

Camila didn’t really know what was happening, one minute she was asleep and dreaming blissfully about her and Lauren doing… well… something she’d been missing. And the next she was saying hello to señor nightstand before giving the floor a fond greeting. She was still lying down even though she could’ve sworn she tried to get up. The sharp pain in her head hadn’t registered until she’d hear the slight panic in Lauren’s voice and now it was coming at her full force, making her eyes water and her voice shake. When Lauren’s question was finally processed she answered as honestly as possible.