48. Black Coffee

Booker.

"Here." I handed Kaplan her third cup of coffee and sat beside her. She thanked me and sipped on the warm liquid. I finally learned her drink; a cup of black, French roast coffee, three packets of sugar, and French vanilla creamer. She is lucky I remembered that in time.

"Can you drink coffee black?" I asked her way to curious for my own good. She shrugged her shoulders and her head fell to the side slightly. She took another drink and stared at the monitor displaying Cyrus' vitals.

It was hard to come up with something to talk about. I couldn't think of a subject that didn't always come back to Cyrus. Maybe we are both tired and just need a small break.

"Hey, I'm gonna get going. I will come back tomorrow, okay?" I kissed her forehead and flinched at my own thoughts. What the hell am I doing?!

She said bye and I left the room, going downstairs and out the building. I click the button on the keys I had in my hand and found a small Chevrolet. Is this the car I drove in? Why didn't I notice this? I shrug and get in the car anyway, turning the key.

I buckle myself up and notice that it is 3:20 in the morning and I don't know what food places are opened. I should have stayed at the hospital. I should have stayed with Kaplan.

My phone buzzes from my pocket. I pull over and reach into my back pocket, arching my body so I could have easy access.

From: Macy

*Whats wrong with Kaplan?*

To: Macy

*She just wasn't answering her phone. That's all.*

From: Macy

*i thought you two hated each other.*

God Macy where have you been?

I didn't reply. I threw my phone on the passenger seat and put the car in drive. I sped away from the side of the highway and drove to a 24-hour Starbucks.

I parked the car in the parking lot and reached for my wallet inside my pants pocket. I need to change out of these nice ass clothes before my mom screams at me for getting them dirty.

I have to go home and explain to her what happened anyways. She got freaked out when I texted her that I was going to be at the hospital all night.

"Hi, what can I get for you?" A short dark skinned girl asked me. She had a really bright smile on her face and her skin almost glowed. I don't know if it was the dark, raining light that fled into the horribly lit cafe or if she was just that happy? I'm beginning to sound like Kaplan.

"Can I get a peppermint hot chocolate and two black coffees. All of them Vente please." I began pulling out a twenty.

"Would you like whip cream on any of them?" She asked with a smile as she was grabbing the three cups. I shook my head politely and handed her the twenty.

"$7.12 is your change." She handed me the money and my receipt. I smiled and dumped all of the money in the tips box. She smiled at me as her eyes widened. "Thank you." She whispered so no one else could hear. I nodded and went to the other side of the counter.

She began making the hot chocolate as another guy walked out and started making coffees. She handed me my hot chocolate and gave me a tray for the coffees.

I smiled and walked out to my car. I ignored the small peppers of rain and opened the car up. I put the coffee in the cup holders and held my cup in between my thighs.

I started the car up and headed towards Kaplan's house to get my truck. I take a sip of my beverage and turn on the radio. Sappy love songs that don't relate to anything play, and I change it.

I finally pull up to Kaplan's house and shut the car off. I put the half empty cup on the dash board and search for my keys.

I grabbed my jacket off the back seat and look through the pockets. I should have just kept my jacket on instead of going back out to the car after Kaplan and her dad talked. I find the keys under the drivers side chair and shut the door, locking them behind me.

On my way home, I can't help but think about Kaplan at her worst times. I told my dad that I loved her even at her worst times and I still do but, sometimes her worst times are my worst times.

I love her, I have finally come to that conclusion, but I hate her sometimes. It's the kind of hate that your parents feel when they fight over bills or something? It's not a deep hate like the kind I feel for Jaxx, it's the kind of hate I feel for someone I can't find myself to leave.

I could totally just break up with her and tell her that this "Stalker" is gone and all is right with the world again but I don't want to. Call me a whiny little boy and selfish all you want but I am gonna milk this stalker thing until Kaplan falls in love with me and then we can have a real relationship.

__________

Guess what's back back back, back again gain gain, GUESS WHATS BACK BACK BACK, LONG CHAPTERS YES YES YES.

WHO ELSE WANTS CYRUS TO WAKE UP? <~ if you couldn't see it and it looks like boxes, it's the white girl emoji raising her hand. Lol have a beautiful weekend!