21. Loaf of Bread

Kaplan.

I got home around 3 in the morning. I took the long way home so I could compose myself. I don't think I'm ready to tell Cyrus about our mother. I don't think I am even ready to talk about it.

I'm probably still in shock.

Booker was laying halfway on the couch and halfway on the back of it. I rolled my eyes and walked into the kitchen.

Instead of a nice, calm walk through the kitchen I have memorised for nearly eighteen years, I hit my hip on the corner of the counter.

"Mother-!" I cut myself off when I realise there are other people in this house actually capable of sleep. I turn on the dim light and lower it. I couldn't give a shit when it comes to Booger but Cyrus is annoying when she is tired.

I'm hungry.

"Don't scream!" I dropped the loaf of bread on the floor when Booker decided to be an asshole. I turned around and hit him in the pelvis. I was aiming for his groin but he doubled over laughing, so he blocked it.

"Ass." I socked his shoulder before bending down to pick up the bread. I had the idea of swatting him with it, but he moved.

"I'm sorry." He leaned over the counter and snuck a kiss at my cheek. I whacked him in the stomach and he walked to the fridge. He grabbed all of the stuff I would need to make a sandwich.

"Here." He sets them down next to the two slices of bread I took out.

"What if I was going to make some toast?" I made it obvious that I was annoyed. He groaned and started putting all of the sandwich making stuff back. He grabbed the butter and walked towards me.

"Why is everything so difficult with you." He stated more then asked. He slammed the bucket down and walked into the living room.

Way to be dramatic Booger.

"Ugh!" I groan and walk out to him. "You know what!" I don't know what I'm going to say but I have taken enough shit tonight. I don't need this type of attitude from some guy, a stupid guy, who is paying me to be his girlfriend.

I still haven't gotten my money.

"What Kaplan." He snaps at me.

I sigh, "When are you gonna pay me?" That made me sound like a hooker. Booger catches it too and tries to hide the stupid smile trying to make it's way on his stupid face.

"When you actually do your job." He picks up his phone, "Do you have a charger?" He asked holding up his stupid phone. I sigh and grab his phone on my way to the top of the stairs.

I open the cabinet that holds all electrical things we have no use for. Well I guess now we have use for one of them. I try to match Boogers phone to any of them but I give up after not finding what I need.

I groan loud enough for him to hear. The bastard chuckles. Stupid Booger with his stupid dead phone. I plug it in to my charger, near my bed. I leave it on the nightstand and go back downstairs.

"You're annoying." I stick my tongue out at him. He laughs and does the same. "You can go home now." I wave him away and go back into the kitchen.

"Actually Kaplan, there is something I need to tell you about." I shut the fridge doors before grabbing anything. He walked in slowly, with his hands in his front pockets.

"What?" My eyebrows furrow and I become nervous the longer he waits to respond.

"You can't react like a freak when I tell you this." I roll my eyes at his stalling. "Cyrus . . . she, well she is sad." He looks at the counter beside me.

"We are all sad. Spit it out or leave." I open the fridge again and grab sandwich stuff. I nearly drop them on the floor with what he says next.

"She is cutting herself."

"Cyrus!" I scream at the top of my lungs. Booker tries to shush me but I am already halfway to the stairs. He grabs me by my waist and pulls me away from the first step of the stairs. "Cyrus Kennedy! Get your self harming ass down here NOW!" I struggle to get all of that out with my fight against Bookers hold.

"Kaplan! Calm down." He tells me as my fight gets stronger. I latch on to the railing and wiggle my way free. I get to the middle of the stairs and Booger grabs my leg. I kick him in the chest and he lets me go.

I run to Cyrus' room and nearly knock the door down. I calm myself and turn a light switch on. She was sleeping so peacefully.

"Cyrus get the hell up!" I screamed. She jumped up and hit her head on the headboard. I would usually laugh at that but the thought of her wanting to put pain on herself makes it impossible to laugh.

"What!" She gets out of bed. I grab her elbow and pull her towards me. She looked so scared. The story behind her big green eyes, the wetness glossing over the more I look at her. It makes me more hurt then angry.

I pull her into my arms and hug her tightly. She hugs me back almost immediately and I rub the back of her head. Her hold tightens and soon I can feel her sobbing.

I compose myself and not burst into tears as well. Cyrus obviously needs me for whatever she is going through. I need to be strong for her and try to help her.

My father obviously won't do anything.