28. Panic Attack

Booker.

"Kaplan? Hey, Kaplan-" I grabbed her and turned her around but she screamed and punched me in the jaw. Again.

"Get off!" She kept screaming. I grabbed on to her again and tried to snap her out of what ever panic she is in.

"Kaplan stop!" I shook her a little more and she finally calmed down. "What is going on with you!?"

"I don't- I can't talk right now." She looked behind me and rushed to get in her car.

"Kaplan!" I screamed after her. "I'm sorry Lex, I have to see what's wrong with her." I kissed her cheek but she pulled me back and kissed me on the lips.

I pulled away, "what are you doing?" she looked confused for a moment before speaking.

"I thought you liked me." She said quietly. "I thought . .-" I interrupted her.

"You thought wrong. Lex, I did like you but I like Kaplan now," and I wasn't lying. "I'm sorry," I know she will be hurt but Kaplan is a bomb prepared to go off any second and Cyrus wont know how to handle it. I need to help her with whatever it is and if not Kaplan i will help Cyrus.

*****

"you followed me?!" Kaplan screamed as soon as she saw me when she walked downstairs. "I think you might be your own stalker-"

"What happened to you?" I cut her off to break down that stupid wall she feels the need to constantly put up around me. "And don't give me some horse shit excuse that you needed to come home because I know you and knowing you, I know you don't want to come home."

"Why did you follow me home?" She avoided the question.

"I didn't follow you, I knew where you lived." I said smartly. "I am visiting you in your time of need."

"Bullshit."

"What is going on with you?" I repeat one of the questions, swarming my head, out loud.

"Like you give a shit less about-" I cut her off this time.

"I do! I care about you Kap-"

"No you don't!" she screamed over me. "You have psyched yourself out and made yourself believe you care but you don't! Nobody cares until they know what you've been through, and even then they don't care." Her voice cracked, which told me she is on the verge of tears.

"They just feel sorry for you." She finished and stared at the floor.

She wasn't wrong. I didn't care about her until I knew what happened to her mother and about what Jaxx tried to do to her. I didn't see it as an easy life but it wasn't the hardest to live.

But now I know her, I care.

"You have to go or you will get hurt." Kaplan brought me out of my thoughts and rushed to the front door.

"I'm not going anywhere until I know what's wrong with you." I grabbed her hand.

"Don't touch me!" she screamed and pushed me off. My eyes widened as I hit my back on the front door. She gasped, "no. No no. Not again." She began to cry harder.

"What? No what Kaplan?" I begged her. She kept panting and rubbing her head with both hands, looking like she is trying to rid her mind of horrid thoughts.

"Cyrus," I remembered she was in the room with us. "Will you give us a minute alone please?" she nodded and left us.

"Kaplan . ." I reached my hand towards her slowly, once the slightest touch met her shoulder she screamed and fell to the floor. I kneeled down to be at her level.

"No!" she screamed again, her hands cupping the sides of her head. I have never seen this side of Kaplan.

"Kaplan-" I tried but she spoke over me.

"You need to go before you get hurt." She said through tears running down her face like miniature waterfalls flowing down a cold mountain.

Kaplan is a cold mountain.

"I'm here for you." I told her.

"No, please- please just leave me alone."

I sighed and got up. I will give her some breathing room and then come back so she can tell me what happened in that diner.