37. More Than A Little Bit

Kaplan.

"Hey Kal," Jaxx called behind me. I turned around with a smile and he wrapped his arms around my waist. "You wanna know something?" He whispered.

"What?" I said kissing him. He laughed and kissed me again. It got heated pretty soon until I pulled away. "What is this secret you want me to know?" we were kind of in the public view.

On the bleachers at the football field. He just got done with practice and everyone had already cleared out. It's our spot when we wanna hang out and don't wanna go home yet.

"It's not really a secret." He kissed me again. "I'LL SHOW IT TO THE WHOLE WORLD!" He yelled throughout the stadium. I giggled and he turned back around to kiss me again.

"What will you tell the whole world?" I asked again.

"I love you."

I wiped away another tear that fell from my eye. My feet kept floating in the pool water as I relived the memories of when I thought everyone in the world was safe.

"Kaplan." I wiped under my eyes just as Booker sat down next to me, taking off his shoes and socks. He dipped his feet in the pool as well and grabbed my hand, intertwining our fingers.

"I-" I tried to pull my hand away but Booker held me.

"I won't hurt you." He said softly. More tears came down along with a sob. I leaned my head on Bookers shoulder and cried into his chest when he pulled me closer.

"Why can't I forget?" I ask after the crying calmed down. I groan really loud and end it with a sigh.

"It's hard to forget what made you who you are." He says softly.

"I hate him. I hate him, I hate him, I hate him-" I continue until Booker stops me.

"I always thought you loved him?" It takes me a while to stop frowning and the smile takes it place across my lips. I look at Bookers already dazzling smile and can't help but feel the sorrow quickly dissolve and disappear from me.

"How do you do that?" I ask him. "I am never upset around you. Even in the beginning, I was always amused somehow." Our hands stay laced together.

I'm kind of grateful for Booker. It seems like he always appears at the right time. I don't know what changed my mind about him or what changed my opinion of him but from the first day I thought he was a giant douche and now, he's almost my hero.

Ya' know, if it were one of those clichéd, romantic-comedy type of movies.

Booker would whisk me away and take me far from all of the grief I have to face. Then buy me a house in the middle of the river where no trouble could come find me.

I almost want to puke at how dumb that sounds.

"In the beginning? What did you think of me in the beginning?" he asks with a crooked smile.

"I told you, I thought you were a cocky asshole." I shrugged with a small smile. Honestly, it may not look like it, but my feelings for Booker have changed and I no longer have a need to run away from him because he is annoying.

I think now I would just run away cause I might like him more than a little bit.

"Yeah well I thought you were . . ." He stopped and looked down with a smile. His tone was playful until he looked down. It was now sincere.

I knew it, he does think I'm a giant bitch that cares about no one but herself. I'm so stupid.

"I don't know." His head lifts up the same time mine does. "You were undefinable. The only thing I was sure of was that you would destroy me in the end." He shrugged and looked away.

"Booker," he looks at me, "if you have anything to tell me now, please say it and don't wait until-" I stopped. I wasn't ready to tell him yet.

"I have nothing to hide from you." He held out his pinky towards me. I looked at him with a raised eyebrow and he kept a boyish smile on his lips.

I rolled my eyes and scoffed, wrapping my pinky around his.

He leaned over slowly, still holding my pinky with his, and kissed my cheek softly. I smiled and he moved away, smiling back at me.