Interlude

Cardboard littered the wooden floorboards. Packing up a house had always felt like one of the saddest things for a person to do during their lifetime. Plunging more favourable trinkets into plumes of bubble wrap and tissue paper; the less favoured old wrappers of objects that once were of use to someone. Kate had seen it all.

Her belongings were now situated in rather tidily organised stacks by the doorway. Her smaller, more sentimental pieces were perched on the sofa where George was attempting to clean his tail. In the process of such, he was sending things toppling over as he accidentally chomped his own fur. Kate rolled her eyes, a smile grew on her pursed lips.

Since last year a lot had changed. Some of it good, most of it bad. But something that had remained a constant was him. George had a way of knowing when she was down when she was worrying or anything other than content. Kate knelt down to pick the box up that had fallen off the seat with a rather worrying clatter. Making sure she paid George some attention, she scratched behind his ears and sat herself down to examine the level of damage.

This particular box had tape sticking to all areas of the card so that no brown was visible. Upon the tape was a handwritten French inscription that was worn with age. It read, 'Écoutez mon âme parler. De l'instant même oùje t'ai vu, mon cœur a voléàton service.' Her heart sank a little, bouncing off her other organs as it settled in her stomach. 

Behind the Screen (a Tom Hiddleston Story)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें