34. Cramping

"Tom?" Kate called from the bathroom in the early hours of the morning scrambling around for something. He must have dozed back off to sleep again. She had just been rudely awoken by her bladder at 5:30 am and had tried to remain as quiet as she could to ensure minimal disturbance to Tom who was still apparently sound asleep.         

As she sat and pulled her briefs down to her knees she stopped mid-pee in panic. Blood? But I shouldn't be bleeding? I'm not supposed to be due on. Surely that's the whole point of being pregnant? You don't ovulate anymore? Something's wrong... She had to fight back tears as she called out his name for the second time with still no response. She finished her business and flushed the loo, hoping that maybe this noise would wake him up from his deep sleep. It didn't. Taking a deep, shaky breath she opened the door and walked with less care across the room. "Tom?" She whispered as she put her hand on his shoulder shaking him a little. He stirred and jumped as he realized someone was standing next to him. "Honey? Bloody hell you scared me. Are you alright? What's wrong?" he sat up quickly from his position and let her sit down on the bed. She tried to tell him but just burst into tears.

"Tom. I- I think... I don't know I just went to the toilet and tried to call you but you were asleep and I think... Oh god, Tom. I don't think I'm pregnant. Something's wrong. I don't know what but something's wrong." Her voice went a tone higher and disappeared as she proceeded to allow fat tears to roll down her face.

"Okay, right don't worry. Tell you what I have the emergency number for the clinic I'll give them a ring." He rubbed his eyes, still adjusting to being awake. He grabbed her hand and rubbed his thumb across her skin. "It's going to be okay. Trust me." She nodded unconvinced but slightly reassured as she could hear his phone ringing through to someone.

"Hello this is the out of hours' line for Portland Hospital of London, Heather speaking how can I help you?" Her voice calm and tired sounding.

"Hi Heather this is Tom speaking me and my fiancé had an appointment booked for this Tuesday is there any way we can see someone sooner? It's just that my girlfriend... well, she thinks there might be something wrong." He looked over at his fiancé who was now blubbing silently away to herself trying to maintain her dignity a little.

"That's fine Tom can you give me your details and we can get someone out to see you in the next twelve hours." So he proceeded to read out his name, surname, date of birth and card details etc. "Right then Mr. Hiddleston. Can I please speak to your fiancé? We need to get a better idea of what she might be going through." He looked over at her and gave her a rather concerned smile. "Okay, I'll just pass you over. She wants to speak to you hun."

Eyebrows firmly knitted together in fear, she swallowed hard as she took the phone from his hand and put it to her ear. "He-hello?"

"I believe I am talking to Kate Evans?" She asked so sweetly, butter would melt.

"Yes."
"Okay, and can you do me a favor and tell me what your concerns are?"

"Uh yes, Well I went to the bathroom and long story short I am bleeding a little and have bad cramps, like the kind you get when you're on you're period." She could hear her typing away as she spoke.

"Okay Miss, now when was the last time you were on your period?"

"About six or seven weeks ago I think."

"Okay, and when you normally have one is it painful?" The questions continued and before she could get any more embarrassed the lady on the other end of the phone said, "Is there anyway between now and us sending out Doctor Cath to see you, that you could perhaps purchase another pregnancy test?" She couldn't speak. Her face numb and mouth dry. Unable to produce any sound other than a whimper. Tom had tears in his eyes too now as he put his hand on hers and took the phone from her. "Hello?"