33. Beer and Table Decorations

The lights were so dim, Tom nearly missed his parents sitting at their table in the corner of the room at the rear of the restaurant. What with it being nearly eight o'clock and the tree and cloud cover blocking out most of the little natural light, they had left their residence with their phone torches on full as to guide them to the Tree Centre as it was referred to in the brochure.

They were led to their table and were greeted by a much more chipper face of Mr. Hiddleston who seemed to have had a few naps since Kate had conversed with him. Diana, on the other hand, was already up out of her seat squeezing the life out of her son. Just as she thought she was in the clear, scraping her chair out from under the glass table, she heard someone call her name. Laughing a little under her breath she turned her body around to face Tom's mother who was now making a beeline for her with outstretched arms. "Don't think you're getting away with that missy. I'm surprised that Tom hasn't pre-warned you of my hugginess." She was struggling to breathe a little now as she tried to laugh it off. Big mistake. She was losing air quicker by giggling. Just before she was about to suggest someone call for an ambulance to resuscitate her James called over at her, "Bloody hell Di, you're suffocating the poor girl." As she was released from her arms she made sure to thank his dad with a simple mouth movement and smirk, plonking herself down on the rather uncomfortable, art deco chairs. "Oh, I am so sorry honey. How was your afternoon? We went to the little lake on the other side of the..." Kate hated to admit it but her mind was on other things as they ordered their drinks and starters. She was more occupied by the décor of the place she was sat under right now than what had happened a few hours beforehand.

The ceiling was peppered with fairy lights which were concealed under a makeshift canopy which consisted of fake leaves and other greenery. The tables littered with centerpieces that consisted of glass bowls filled halfway with water, with tea lights bobbing away coupled with petals swimming silently next to them. It truly was mesmerizing. The whole atmosphere was indescribable and all Kate wanted to do right now was to sit back and take it all in. Before she could fathom how long she had been zoned out, she felt a warm hand cup her arm and a face peering at her from her right. "Hello, welcome back." Tom smiled lovingly at her, with a slight look of concern in his eyes; he never was very good at keeping his feelings under wraps. "It really is quite a spectacle isn't it? I like the little floating candles." He laughed, his hand still clutching hers, but his other poking the tea light slightly as to make it move on the water. "I want them at home. Do you think we could have them at our wedding?" He is so cute. Such a nerd. Kate now wearing a goofy smile as he continued to distract her with his new found love of table decorations.

Their drinks and starters now in full swing they were really loving the rainforest atmosphere. "This is stunning Tom. This was such a great idea for us all to come and spend the weekend with each other. I'm just sad that it isn't a week." James said through large swigs of his beer.

"So are we. Hey dad," Tom put his fork between his fingers and twiddled with it as he finished off chewing what he had in his mouth. Swallowing, he continued "Should you be drinking that? I mean what with all the meds you're on?" His dad looked up from his plate wide-eyed.

"Who are you? My mother?" he chuckled. "And strictly speaking, it's not recommended but what is life without the occasional beer ey?" The whole table was now laughing along with the family banter. They were so relaxed about the whole situation which made Kate naturally more relaxed, allowing her to enter into the conversation more; making a change from her normal sit back and wait till someone talks to her routine.

The meal went swimmingly. Like the candles on the table, the fire of the conversation was beginning to dwindle as energy was being diverted to the stomachs of the Hiddleston's. As Kate was aware by now, this meant he would be asleep within the hour so he would want to leave quite soon which was music to her ears as she too was growing rather lethargic. "So, I guess that's it for our first full day in the forest." He paused. "Speaking of drinking, Kate. You not much of a drinker then I see? Water all night?" She stopped in her tracks. Shit. She wasn't expecting these sorts of questions this early on from people she had only just met. "Yeah, its actually a medical thing. I"

Behind the Screen (a Tom Hiddleston Story)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें