13. Loki's Ascent

"Is that really you? Why are you here? Who died?" she spat out as she made her way slowly towards his car as he climbed out of the driver's side and headed quickly over to her.

"What? No one's died silly. I wanted to spend Christmas with you so I spent dinner with my parents and sister and headed down here to see you." He pulled her into a tight hug which allowed Kate to relax a little, knowing now that nothing serious had happened to make him journey half the way across Britain to see her.

"Have you heard the exciting news?" she whispered looking up at Tom as they stood in the cold, appreciating each other's existence.

"What? About Chris and Jane? Their big surprise?"

"How'd you know?"

"He called me a few hours ago when I got in I had a missed call and called him straight back and he told me because he didn't want me feeling out of the loop considering you'd all know by tonight. Why has he just told you?"

"Yeah and everyone was gushing over them like hyenas after their prey," Tom laughed a little and sighed as he spoke.

"You know; you never seize to amuse me miss Kate Evans. Come on let's get inside I'm frozen and in desperate need of a shower."

"Yeah, about that...." He and Kate headed to the door, Kate pulling her jumpers sleeves over her cold shaking hands. Tom carried on walking wheeling his suitcase behind him but tilted his head slightly to get a better view of her face.

"What now...?" he smirked as he said it knowing the random crap she was probably about to spout would lighten his mood even more.

"Well... We have one boiler which is temperamental and mum kind of forgot so she used all the hot water in the friggin' house to wash all the plates and everything as she knew we were all coming for the holidays so there's no hot water and we have a limited supply of water anyway because our tap isn't being fixed until tomorrow morning so we've only got enough left for a few showers."

"I'm guessing you haven't showered yet either then judging by your worried little face," they entered the hallway as Kate locked the front door whilst wiping her shoes on the mat. Tom shrugged his winter coat off and hung it over the top of Kate's as she jumped to reach.

"Yeah, mum had said maybe not to shower tonight anyway but seeing as you need to too we can't waste the water on just one of us. That's if that's alright with you, if not I'll have a flannel down its cool a-"

"Hey, darlings! Tom honey I didn't know you were coming! We haven't a bed made or anything!" Kate mum had disconnected herself from the cooing over the baby scan picture that had now emerged from Jane's purse and was doing the rounds.

"Mum, its okay he can sleep on my bedroom floor, or in my bed with me I don't mind, its so big anyway it would be a shame to waste the space." She joked as her bed was barely big enough to fit her tiny body in it let alone two people but she wanted more than anything to share a bed with Tom. To feel his warmth on her body, and his gentle touch on her delicate skin. She had to stifle a shiver which didn't really work as Tom was looking at her inquisitively.

"You must be freezing darling," He took her hands in his and blew a warm breath onto them as he caressed her. "Let's go warm up by the fire and shower afterward okay?"

"Oh honey about the shower, have you explained it to Tom? The water situation?"

Kate rolled her eyes a little knowing what was coming next. "Yes, mum. We are sharing a shower, but I'll wear a bikini and he will put trunks or something on to save embarrassment."

"Ooh showering together now? I look forward to the wedding invite. And don't fall over in the shower, it packs a punch believe me," her mum nodded towards her dad who was zonked out in his armchair with a glass of whiskey in his right hand.