26. Small Details

It had been two weeks since the wedding day. Tom and Kate had traveled to their little hideaway island as paid for in full by her father. The place was truly amazing; petals lined every room. Scattered across the floors and bedding on every bed in the house, there were three bedrooms so no need to complain if the other snored or farted in their sleep. White and oak was the continued color scheme throughout the entirety of the house which was topped with a cone-shaped thatched roof.

"I so never ever want to leave here." Kate sighed, throwing herself into the bedding as Tom attempted to make it.

"Me neither, it has been so nice being away from the world and in our own little safe haven, but you my little miss bedding destroyer will be thrown onto the floor below if you do not move in ten seconds." He raised an eyebrow and stared her down like a father scolding its child for Colouring the walls in wax crayon. Kate, on the other hand, continued to lay on her back and roll around on top of the crisp cotton sheets.

"Ten, nine, eight..." he began to count down which only made Kate giggle more as she spread herself further across the bed. "Seven, six, five... four... three... two one!" He pounced on the bed almost sending her flying but he grabbed her sides and began to tickle her within an inch of her life.

"Ha- st- stop Tom ha ah!" The frolicked for several minutes until Tom finally put an end to it by simply placing a kiss on her forehead. Kate began to blush as he held himself above her, his toned arms catching in the daylight made them look even more toned than usual. They didn't have to say anything during these silences they shared as each one of them knew what the other was thinking. I love you. But Tom would always be the one to break the quiet with either Shakespeare or words to that effect, today, however, was different.

"I love you so much." He gradually lowered himself so that nearly his whole body was rested on hers.

"Tom! You're gonna squish me to death! Then who will you have to love?" she joked and before she knew it he was wrapping his arms around her torso and rolling the two of them over so that Kate was now laying flat on Tom's chest.

"That's better." She mumbled into his t-shirt as she star-fished herself out across him. Just simply laying there was enough. His scent filling her nose, the feeling of him breathing as his chest rose and fell and the dull drum of his heartbeat. He ran his slender fingers through her slightly matted hair as Kate drifted off into a light sleep her breathing light but gentle.

Admirably looking at his girlfriend he contemplated something he had spoken to Chris about a few days before they had left for their island retreats.

*

"Hey, Chris pass us the salt would ya?" Kate was digging into her dinner which consisted mainly of carbs and fish what with her mother's recent hotel status, what with the number of people that had recently been staying under her cozy thatched roof. Chris, who was already halfway through his battered cod, averted his eyes from the food to the table which was rather busy tonight. The long oval table was surrounded by family and friends, starting with Kate and Tom at one end, their mother and father were sat opposite each other with Chris and Jane at the opposite end.
"What? Its like right next to you?" He scoffed as he ignored his sister's previous comment and endeavored to finish his food in record time. Her mother now tutted as she strained to get the salt pot to save arguments.

"Seriously, you two act as though you are twelve again. Have some manners people, we have guests." She grinned into her meal as she placed the condiment down making a louder noise now due to the stunned silence.

"Yeah but mum, these so-called 'guests' are our partners so it doesn't really count," Kate picked the salt up and shook it rather vigorously across her chips, spilling some over the edges of her plate as she did so.