18. Knocked into Reality

The rest of the Christmas holidays were a blur of turkey and sprout farts and before they knew it it was back to normality filming twelve hours a day; four till four every day twenty-four seven in order to get the last of the filming rounded off. Everyone was exhausted and wanting nothing more than to rewind the clock to Kate's grandparent's house, being waited on hand and foot with the occasional swoon over Tom as they hadn't met him before they pulled up on their driveway.

It was nearing the end of the day now and with only an hour and a half left of filming Kate was about ready to collapse on her comfy, king-sized bed when something brought her back to reality. They were filming a scene in which Kate's character, Marian, and Tom's Loki were in a fight scene and the choreographer had told them to swing their staffs and swords in the opposite direction and hit their amours together. Tom had to grab Kate's arm and heave her over him to protect her from the enemies firing line and being that Kate had not only been through drama school, but she had also done some stunt double work experience so was perfectly suited to doing the more challenging aspects of the role.

"And... Action!"

As soon as the director had called, everything seemed to fall into place. The extra's filled out and stood directly in front of Tom and Kate wielding their weapons in circular movements with one hand, pulling their arms back in the process. The green screen wobbled in the breeze from the fans, causing their hair to blow violently across their faces. The two of them had nearly finished the perfect scene and just as the director was about to call a wrap on the day when everything seemed to slow into a blur of panic.

Kate had taken Tom in her grasp, with his hand wrapped securely around her forearm and hers around his. She hoisted herself over his shoulder, kicking her legs out as she did.

Just before she landed she felt something crack beneath her and Tom began to falter and she was no longer high in the air and falling fast. They managed to steady themselves, with Tom still in character and doing remarkably well considering his now surely fractured kneecap.

As they had got back into the fight something else happened. Kate had got onto one knee and flung her spear back with more force than she had intended, not realizing that Tom was standing behind her; sending the spear flying and her elbow going straight into his face.

Feeling another crack vibrating through her bones, she broke character and stood up onto both feet and spun around to see Tom, kneeling down behind her holding his nose in his hands as fresh blood poorer from his shocked face.

"CUT! Someone check if they're alright whilst we watch this back," He clicked towards the first aid ladies as he walked back over to the camera tent.

"Charming. Tom my love are you alright? I am so sorry; I can't believe I did that to you!" Kate was panic talking as Tom gently removed his hands from his nose as the nurse handed him a thick wad of tissues to shun the bleeding.

"Don't apologize, even if it was your elbow that caused this, I should have moved fast enough. You were only doing your job darling." He smiled at her reassuring her that it wasn't her fault was always going to be a difficult task.

How can he smile at a time like this? Tom is injured and it is all my fault. My fault. I caused the one I love more than anything in the world pain.

Kate's head was spinning so much that she felt as though she needed some air, so ensuring Tom was in safe hands as they moved him off-set to patch him up she headed out of the building. In full costume, she went and sat on a bench outside the building and tried to pull herself together which was easier said than done. How? Why? All I have done to this man so far is cause him pain and countless worry. I am just a huge inconvenience. Maybe we need some time apart. I mean, he would be safer for one. After all, there are only a few more scenes left to film, even if one of them is my death scene where I die in his arms. Literally.

She decided that the director would have called her back if he had needed her as she couldn't quite get the courage to see Tom's bloodied face again, she walked over to the make-up department and had herself de-Marianified.

It was almost 7 o'clock when she had all her make-up and costume removed. She felt more like herself again which wasn't necessarily a good thing. In fact, if anything she felt worse. It was the biggest metaphorical wake-up call she had had since her mum's illness. She had to give her and Tom some space.

She was about to just get a taxi and go home without a word to him, but that plan went out of the window as he knocked on hers as she gathered her things from her trailer.

"Yes?" She huffed as she continued to frantically search for her phone and spare shoes which she was sure she had left here somewhere.

"Kate? Darling, why are you still here?"

"Tom? Your face... It looks..."

"Awful? Yeah, I didn't know you packed that much of a punch," He laughed and walked over gradually so that he was standing directly in front of her. Noticing her disgruntled expression, he held out his arms and took her hands in his. She did something which she maybe shouldn't have. The look in his eyes was enough to break anyone's heart.

As he placed her hands on his, she pulled her from his grasp with a flinch. His eyes were as though someone had just shot a newborn puppy in front of him and his heart may as well have been all over his face as it crumbled a little.

"Kate? I've already told you... It wasn't your fault. Okay, I didn't say it like that but I mean it now. Please don't do this."

"Tom, I just need time." Kate stammered as she spat her words out which were like daggers plummeting straight into Tom's heart.

He tilted his head a little to the right, never breaking eye contact with her for a second.

"Well, I can leave you alone tonight and come and pick you up tomorrow morning?" He began to frown now, the concern gracing his face now as his eyes began to water in apprehension as to what she was going to say.

"No Tom. I mean us. We need a break."

"Wow. Hang on, so you crack me one and all of a sudden it's my fault?"

"What? No no no no no, I mean... We need to talk." Kate gestured to her couch in her trailer when Tom held out his hand to stop her.

"Not here, let's go home first. I need a drink." He opened the door, helping her grab her things, Kate climbed into the passenger side as he threw her belongings into the boot.

"Hey? Miss Kate? You can't go home yet. You do know that your head is bleeding." Gina shouted from behind her. She began to roll her eyes when she spotted the reason for her sudden headache. As her eyes began to roll in dread as to what Gina was actually going to corner her about, her eyelids began to stick slightly as fresh blood trickled down her face, dribbling into her mouth providing her with a taste of iron. Great, This is all I need.

They eventually drove back to Tom's after half an hour in the most awkward silence that Kate had ever experienced in her life, the tension was so thick you could have cut it with a knife and she could see sweat beads forming on Tom's brow line as he continued to focus on the road ahead instead of holding and caressing her hand like he normally did. This night could go either way and Kate was not prepared for its outcome.

She had and Tom had both had to have steri-strips as they had bumped their heads so hard the skin was never going to heal with just a plaster stuck over the top. This mirrored Kate and Tom's relationship as it stood wobbling precariously on the edge of a cliff; one wrong move could ruin all their hard work.

A/N

Hey guys! Wow, nearly 800 reads! I am speechless! Let me know if you like the story and comment and vote as it lets me see which parts you guys like so I can write more like it!

Hope you're all okay!

-thelegalmidget x