Chapter Fifty Three

Start from the beginning

"To you?" he questioned.

"To Emma, right?" she asked, looking at me.

I licked my lips, feeling Principle Harlon's eyes on me. I wriggled under his gaze slightly, becoming even more uncomfortable. "It's true, he did."

"Was it on the school premises?"

"Yes."

"Why did you not inform any of the staff, or police, for that matter?"

"Because nothing serious happened." I shrugged, trying to act nonchalant. "Jason Mayor stopped it before anything happened. I didn't want to make it a big deal."

"Jason Mayor was it?" Principle Harlon repeated, jotting down what I presume was his name on a piece of paper, which was located on his desk. I gulped. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned him. I didn't even think about it.

"Okay. Did anyone else witness this?"

"Just Mr. Jones." I informed him. "As for when it happened to me, no."

"Okay, well thank you ladies. I will be in touch. You guys are the victims here, so no punishment will be served."

"Thank you." I replied, nodding at him curtly. We exited and I locked eyes with Daniel, who was sitting in a chair at the front of the office, looking completely at ease. He glanced over and smirked upon seeing us both. Britney stiffened beside me and I grabbed her arm out of reaction. My eyes were scorching as I glared at him.

"Daniel." Pricipal Harlon said, beckoning him over. I dragged Britney out and felt the much needed fresh air wash over me. I inhaled deeply, shaking my head. So that had been slightly scary. I never thought I'd ever be in the office for something like this.

"I guess I should thank you." Britney muttered, averting her eyes so that she was staring down at her feet.

"No worries." I shrugged.

"I know we're not friends." she pointed out, not looking at me in the eye still. "So it was nice of you to defend me."

"It's what any person would have done." she looked up at me, gazing curiously. I physically bit my lip in order to prevent myself muttering that she probably wouldn't have done the same for me. Oh well. I will never know for sure, so no point dwelling on it.

"Do you think you'll be okay?" I asked as she looked a little faint.

"I might call mum to come pick me up."

"Okay." I nodded. I took a step to go leave, but something stopped me. I looked over at her, frowning slightly. This was a little awkward. I sighed, running a hand through my messy hair. "Did you want me to wait with you?"

She looked down at me, (as she was taller), in surprise. "Would you...?"

I shrugged. "If you'd like. I was a bit shaken when it happened to me. I know how you're feeling."

She rolled her lips into her mouth and nodded. I walked with her to the other end of the office, where a lady with auburn hair and small, framed glasses offered to ring up her mum. Principle Harlon approved that she was allowed to go home for the day. I felt like going home too, but I decided against it. I could use the school work. I missed out on a bit from my in and out of hospital experiences. I sat down in the vacant seat in the waiting room. She plopped down beside me. An awkward silence filled the room and I felt the need to start a conversation, but I had no idea what to say. I nibbled at my lip, looking around.

"I'm sorry for all the things I did to you." she muttered, rubbing the back of her neck. "You seem like a really nice person."

I stared at her with wide eyes. Britney Chevalier was apologising to me? I really, really thought I'd never see the day. My mouth fell open as her words slowly sunk into my brain. No way. I couldn't believe my ears.