Chapter 18

Harley continued to run on all fours through the woods, hoping that nobody was following him. When he eventually slowed down and stopped, he thought about what he had done.
What if they were being serious and I just overreacted? Harley asked himself in his thoughts as he laid down in the leaves beside a tree.
They probably hate me now for calling them liars and running away from them. Harley told himself in his thoughts. Half of him regretted what he did, but the other half did not. He knew he was going to die, but he didn't want to take his life, that would be too easy. He wanted to be killed in battle, saving someone or just die from his injuries. Harley wanted to die for a while, but decided that it was worth staying alive. If he took his life all those years ago, he wouldn't have ever met Roscuroe, Hannah, Jax, Max, Galaxy, Ronell, Conifer, Rex, Celia, Rowan, Leena, Dawn, or Blossom. If he did, he would have been reunited with his family a while ago and he never would have had to join Roscuroe on his journey, or he would have never bit Jax's hand that one night. He missed the friends he met during the journey, especially Rex and Jax, he thought Rex was really cool and Jax was a lot like him. Though he thought Ronell was pretty chill as well. As good memories flooded his mind, he suddenly didn't want to die, but it was too late. His fate had been sealed, and everyone dies eventually. It was Harley's time now, and if anyone was to take his life, he wanted Roscuroe to be the one. Why? Harley felt it was reasonable, he felt like he was a nuisance to him and Harley nearly died for him five years ago, he wanted him to finish the job. He stood back up, knowing he couldn't turn back now as he didn't want to deal with explaining everything that's been going on with his life to everyone. There was too much and he only shared a little bit on rare occasions. Instead, he started walking in the direction he was running in, not knowing where exactly he was going, but hopefully to somewhere with other Lizens or humans. After about three hours of walking in a random direction, he was ambushed again by the same two grey twin Lizens that were at Blossom-Tribe camp the previous day. They didn't fight, instead, they asked "You again? Why are you here?"
Harley shrugged his shoulders and responded "I ran away and somehow ended up back here."
"Whatever, come with us peacefully or face the wrath of Master Walter!" One of the twins exclaimed as the other one hissed. Harley held out his hands and said "Take me to Master Walter."
The twin took his hand and led him back to their clearing with the multiple burrows and brainwashed Lizens with the creepy stares. They led him back to Walter's burrow and dragged him inside. They took him to a red-lit room with a map of northern BC and Alberta with multiple circles with X marks through them on it. Walter was sitting on a chair facing it, but was also writing something on a notepad.
"Master Walter, we have found one of the Lizens you wanted." One of the twins said as he let go of Harley. Walter turned around in his chair and glared at Walter.
"It doesn't look like you put up a fight, what brings you here so willingly?" Walter asked Harley as the two twins stood on either side of Harley.
"I don't know, but I am going to die, and I'd rather let Roscuroe be the one to do it." Harley replied to Walter as he suddenly had a surprised look on his face.
"Strange, you were his close companion and you were so loyal to him." Walter said as Harley responded "Yes, I am still loyal to him, but it's time for me to go and he should send me off. It's what my former tribe did."
"Alright, you work for me now." Walter told Harley as he snapped his fingers. Suddenly a Lizen from the dark hallway ran up to Walter with a collar before quickly running back down it.
"Hold still, this won't hurt." Walter told Harley as he leaned closer to him. Harley stood back a little and said "I don't think I will need that."
"Everyone who works for me needs it, now hold still." Walter responded as he grabbed Harley's sweater and pulled it closer. Harley didn't dare fight back, he would have been easily outnumbered. Instead, he let Walter take control of his mind. Walter snapped the collar on and turned it on. Harley felt a shock of electricity run through his body as his mind blanked. He could still see, control his actions, and think, but he wasn't himself.
"There, you call me 'Master Walter' for now on and you are now loyal to me." Walter told Harley.
"Yes, Master Walter." Harley responded with a monotone voice. Walter smiled and dismissed the twins, but kept Harley with him. He was valuable to Walter, and Harley just did what Celia worried about.