Chapter 42: Tournament End Part 3

A/N: I'm so happy that I'm finally done with the test I had this week. So happy, in fact, that I finished this chapter! The battle will start in the second half of the chapter. Enjoy!

As Xiaoyao left the stadium, she looked at Xiao Yu peculiarly. Is he.....

"Master, what are you doing? Let's go!" Xiao Jin called out.

"I'm coming!" She replied. "Also, since I've been used to it, I didn't notice, but stop calling me Master! We're friends, right?"

"I....." Xiao Jin looked a bit embarrassed. "Master-"

"Don't call me that! I won't listen if you keeping calling me that!"

"Master......"

"Lalalalalala~~" Xiaoyao pretended she couldn't hear.

"Br- Xiao Bao, help a man out......." Xiao Jin pleaded.

Xiao Bao chuckled silently and ignored him. This is payback for always treating me like a kid!

The three eventually returned to their courtyard. Xiao Jin made dinner and the three ate while they chatted about what they thought about the tournament.

"Hey, Xiao Jin ." Xiaoyao suddenly called out.

"What is it?"

"I'm starting to think that Xiao Yu has a protagonist's halo......."

"Xiao Yu? That kid you fought? Hmmm........wait, Master, why are you asking me? Why don't you look?" Xiao Jin said.

"........Xiao Jin."

"Yes?"

"We're outside the battlefield and away from the Divine Realm. Call. Me. By. My. Name."

Xiao Jin's face twisted a bit in helplessness. "Master, don't make things difficult for me......"

"What do you mean by protagonist's halo, Sister?" Xiao Bao asked. Hmph, I'll help you this once, Xiao Jin.

Xiao Jin saw this and shot a grateful look towards Xiao Bao.

"A protagonist's halo.......mmmm.....it's a bit hard to describe." Xiaoyao replied. "But I guess you could say that it's very hard for them to be killed? They also go through many obstacles and no matter how despairing of a situation they're in, they always somehow pull through? .......Something like that. Xiao Jin knows better than me since this falls under his jurisdiction, being a God of Luck and all."

With that, Xiao Bao turned to Xiao Jin for an explanation.

Xiao Jin sighed. "This indeed falls partly under my area of expertise. A protagonist's halo......is similar to what Master said it was. However, there's more to that. If one has this ability, blessing or curse, they will have unimaginable hurdles in their path and each time they cross that obstacle, they will lose something."

"Like what?"

Xiao Jin paused. "Emotions. Friends. Loved ones. Weapons they hold dear. People or things that are close to them will either die or be severely injured. That's......I guess you could say that that is the price to pay for being able to not die."

"I see.....so they can't die.....but can they lose?"

"Lose? Definitely. They need something to push them to grow, so Fate or Luck gives them that opportunity. They don't usually lose against those that won't become their enemies though."

"But he lost against-"

"This could be one of two things. One, it's because Master is a goddess, so it doesn't affect her." The person in question was wolfing down Xiao Jin's cooking like she hadn't eaten in months. Xiao Jin just closed his eyes and shook his head in disappointment as he continued. "Two, he doesn't have that halo and is simply luckier than the average person."