Chapter 31: Xiaoyao's Training

A/N: Sorry for being late! Happy New Years!! (Though I'm a bit late for that.....) Anyway, enjoy the chapter!

Xiaoyao decided not to bother those spirits that didn't attack her. She didn't want them to gang up on her. Even if she wasn't afraid of death, she couldn't afford for her physical body to die as Hei Lianhua was possessing it and destroying that body would cause him to return to the cycle of reincarnation.....if one even existed in this place.

After traveling for a bit, she found the ghosts...and something more than that.

That's....a demon!! A higher type of ghost. Well, I shouldn't be too surprised. With this many ghosts wandering, of course there'd be some few tens of demons that manifest. Time for Ghostbuster Xiaoyao to start eliminating them!

...

Huh? Wasn't there a show called that?  Xiaoyao thought while cutting down another spawned demon. Well, I guess that doesn't matter for now. These guys aren't even a challenge. There's no way I'd be able to stabilize my foundation in a short amount of time.

Just as that thought passed by, Xiaoyao heard a loud growling coming from somewhere. She turned towards the direction of the sound and saw some of the cultivators from the tournament walk in a strange manner towards her.

Don't tell me.....they're possessed? Oh boy~ With this many, I guess I'll be having a hard time, since, cultivation-wise, they're stronger. Oh well, I was looking for the challenge anyway.

Getting into position, Xiaoyao readied her sword and rushed forward. The enemy similarly came forward. Xiaoyao smirked and disappeared.

The possessed cultivator was confused.

Xiaoyao suddenly appeared behind and swung her sword down towards her opponent's neck artery. However.....

"Damn!" Xiaoyao cursed. The sword hit its mark, but the cultivator's body was as hard as steel.

Her sword was indeed powerful, so it did leave a scratch.

"Tch!" Xiaoyao dodged the incoming attack.

What do I do? Xiaoyao thought frantically  as she dodged the attacks of her opponent left and right.

She thought about it really hard. If I delay any longer, the other possessed ones will make this encirclement tighter. I can't afford to have that happen.

....

Mmmmm.......I know!! I should repeatedly attack that one spot I made a scratch on. That way the scratch will become bigger and eventually allow me to slay this fellow. 

Xiaoyao did not want to save these guys. After all, they were strangers. Why should she care about them? Besides there were too many of them. There's no way she's waste time, effort, and precious energy on these fools who didn't have a strong enough will.

Others might think her to be inhumane, but, after all, she wasn't human. Human emotions and rules don't apply to her.

After a few more slashes, the wound was big enough. Xiaoyao lifted her sword and made one last quick slash to the guy's throat. Blood spilled out and stained her clothes. She didn't seem to mind though.

She just sighed and repeated the same steps with the other cultivators, attacking a fatal spot on each one of them. Though there were difficulties, she managed to break through the encirclement and run away. After wandering for a while, she found a river, it had not dried up. After testing it with silver, she found it to not be poisonous, which was a relief.

"Phew~ human bodies are so troublesome....." she grumbled, while removing the stained outer clothes  and soaking them in the stream. "If I was in my original body, dealing with this pitiful amount of enemies wouldn't be so tough."

After resting lightly for three hours, Xiaoyao got up and put on her now dry outer clothes. She started wandering the the barren grounds aimlessly.

I might as well find a way out at this point.....but how? Hmmmmmmmm.........I can't think of anything!!! Might as well find Xiao Bao before anything. I think Xiao Jin fell down too. Might as well look for him as well.

 After some time, she saw some familiar figures.

"Xiao Jin, Xiao Bao!!" she called out.

"Master- I mean- Xiaoyao!!" Xiao Jin corrected himself.

"Sister!" Xiao Bao said as he rushed to hug her.

"How are you guys?" Xiaoyao asked with concern.

"We're fine." Xiao Jin said. "Besides, Xiaoyao, don't you remember? I'm..."

"Oh right. I forgot about that!" Xiaoyao exclaimed as she facepalmed herself.

"Huh? What? What are you guys talking about?" Xiao Bao asked curiously.

"Nothing, nothing." Xiao Jin said.

"Hmph! You're keeping secrets from me again......" Xiao Bao pouted.

"You'll find out in the future...." Xiaoyao said.

"When? When will that future come?!"

"Hehe, not any time soon...."

The trio talked while they fought off the oncoming enemies. Luckily, none of them were too powerful, so it wasn't too big of a deal. 

"Hey, I've been wondering something...." Xiao Bao started.

"What is it?" Xiaoyao replied. 

"Is it normal for those possessed to move slowly and often trip over things?"

"When I fought them before I met you guys, no. But that's because.....nevermind." 

"Hm? That's what I thought. I also fought them alone, and their movements were a far cry from what I experienced. What's going on?"

"Well, I suspect it's this. They don't do well with groups of people." Xiaoyao quickly said.

"Really? I've been in this place longer than the two of you, and from what I've experienced and read, this is not how it was supposed to be.....but, I guess, reality and what's written tend to be quite different....." Xiao Bao mumbled.

"Aaaanyway, Xiao Bao, Xiao Jin, this is place where the spirits didn't attack me." Xiaoyao said quickly, as if to dodge the subject.

"This is....." Xiao Bao started.

"Commander." Xiao Jin suddenly said. "I know you're not in your original body, but can you sense it? This place is....."

"Yeah. But why couldn't I feel it before? The air reeks of hatred, anger, and death. It so prominent that it's soaked and tainted the ground beneath us. What caused this? What happened here?"

"This is....This is.....This....I know this place- Ugh!" Xiao Bao mumbled repeatedly as  he fell to the ground in pain.

"Xiao Bao, what's wrong?" Xiaoyao and Xiao Jin said in worry.

"I...They killed us....They tortured us....They made it so we wouldn't live in harmony.....Why? Why?! We protected them and in turn they killed us!!" Xiao Bao said almost hysterically.

"Who?!"

"Humans!! They killed us. Why? We did nothing wrong..."

"Xiao Bao, speak to us. What's wrong?" Xiaoyao said in worry.

Xiao Jin shook his head. "It's no use. He can't hear us!"

"Commander! This way!" Xiao Jin said as he tackled Xiaoyao to the ground to avoid an oncoming spirit. He then grabbed her hand and led her three meters away.

"What was that for?!" Xiaoyao exclaimed.

"Look. Look and you'll understand." Xiao Jin pointed in the direction where Xiao Bao was.

"Wh-What the hell...is this?!" Xiaoyao said in disbelief.