Chapter 19: A Tournament? (III)

"A tournament? Which one? What is it? Is it something fun?" Xiaoyao asked excitedly.

"So, they haven't told you."

"Of course not! We're not that close."

"I see..."

"Regardless, give me details!"

"Okay...

So, the tournament was between the four great families and the royals. On the surface, it was a simple competition to see who's family had the best talents.

Underneath, however, it was a chance for the various arrogant youths to show how there's always a stronger person. This was also to show various visiting sects the kingdom's talents and perhaps recruit some of them.

"Interesting." Xiaoyao commented. "I want to join."

"Are you sure? You said the Xiao Family Head isn't on good terms with you. Would he let you participate?"

"Hmmm....." Should I tell him? She thought.

Up to this point, in Xiaoyao's mind, Xuanyuan Ye didn't know she wasn't part of the Xiao Family bloodline. However, Xuanyuan Ye knew. He was just waiting for her to tell him.

"Xiao Ye, can I trust you?" I'll just take a chance. What's the worst that can happen? It's not like there's anyone in this world that can truly kill me.

"You can." Xuanyuan Ye said with a firm tone.

Xiaoyao looked into his eyes to see if he was lying. It was hard for Xiaoyao to truly trust anyone. After being betrayed and hurt so many times, though she didn't quite show it, she always kept her guard up around those in close contact with.

Unless they had an imprint on their souls (which Xiaoyao could put on people to control them), she wouldn't be able to believe them.

"Sigh, well, you said that only the four great families and royalty could participate, right? I'm not part of the Xiao Family bloodline. I simply have the same surname."

"Is that all? Then, that's okay. Don't worry. There's a way for others to participate. However......"

"What?"

"Many people might assume your part of the Xiao Family. And that family has a lot of enemies. So, I suggest you put on a mask to cover your facial features."

"Mask? Where am I supposed to find that?"

"I have one. Here." Xuanyuan Ye said as he pushed it forward.

"Thank you." A light flashed through Xiaoyao's eyes. "But why are you helping me so much. We can at most be counted as friends."

"I—" I can't possibly admit I like her! Xuanyuan Ye panicked inside before he found a perfect excuse. "I....find you quite interesting. At first, it was just a fleeting curiosity, but as I observed you more, I became more intrigued with you...r actions."

Xiaoyao raised an eyebrow. "Observed?"

Xuanyuan Ye tensed up a bit. "Yes. You caused such a commotion when you swindled that shopkeeper. I was coincidentally at a restaurant nearby and saw what you did. I sensed that you were a.... how should I put this?..... kindred spirit. So I naturally wanted to get to know you." He explained in one breath.

He doesn't seem to be lying. But I feel that there's more to it......Oh well. I shouldn't pressure him too much now. "Thank you for being honest with me."

Xuanyuan Ye breathes out a sigh of relief. "You're welcome."

"Well, anyway, I'll go prepare for the tournament. I hope to see you there."

"Ah. Okay."

"What's wrong?"

"I'm not participating."

"Why?"

"Hmm. Well, outside, I'm known as a trash prince. I....Although I do have power, it's by the right time to reveal it."

"I see. Thank you for trusting me with your secret. But, you're not afraid that I'll expose you?"

"Not many will believe you. And besides, you don't seem like the kind of person to backstab an ally."

Xiaoyao's eyes softened. "Yes. You're quite right about that. I really have to go now. Xiao Bao must be worried."

"Okay. Good night."

"Mmm. Good night, Xiao Ye."

Xiaoyao turned around to leave, taking the mask with her. The moment she did, Xuanyuan Ye looked at her differently, his eyes sparkling with what seemed to be affection.

As soon as Xiaoyao made it to the Xiao Family residence, she stopped. She thought about the look in Xuanyuan Ye's eyes. Though it wasn't very clear, she managed to see out of the corner of her eyes......that he looked at her with a different kind of gaze. One that she's seen....Kai wear often.

(A/N: In case you don't remember, Kai is the guy introduced in the prologue. He's one of few people Xiaoyao trusts from the bottom of her heart.)

Xiaoyao shook her head. I should stop thinking about it. It's impossible.....right? Xiao Ye and I just met. How can he.....? Sigh, I must be too tired and am seeing things. Gotta rest, gotta rest. Yeah, that's what I'll do.

Xiaoyao chatted with Xiao Bao for a bit before returning to her quarters. After tossing and turning for a bit, she finally fell asleep.