Chapter 7: The Xiao Family

Pain..... Pain wracked Xiaoyao's body. Everything hurt and she couldn't move. After a few minutes, she got used to it and slowly sat up.

"Sister!" A voice from the side called out.

"Hmmm?" Xiaoyao raised her head up towards the voice to see Xiao Bao's cute teary face. "What is it?"

"Sister!!" Xiao Bao cried as he tackled Xiaoyao at her waist.

"Eh? Ow!! Ow, ow, ow!!" Xiaoyao cried out in pain. "Xiao Bao, I'm okay, I'm okay now!"

"...." No response.

"Could you let me go now? I'm in a lot of pain."

He still didn't let go and only loosened his grip.

" *Sigh* Xiao Bao.......I'm sorry for worrying you." She said as she hugged him back.

"......Now you know to apologize?" He said, his voice tinted with anger.

"Eh? What's wrong? What did I do to make you so angry?"

"Why didn't you wait for me?! Why did you run off on your own?! Why....why...?"

Xiaoyao became silent and lowered her head.

"If not for that, you wouldn't have.....wouldn't have slept for three months!!" Xiao Bao continued.

"I slept for three months?!" She exclaimed. I knew that power was strong, but sleeping for three months?! No wonder my body is in pain from just moving so little. It's not used to movement after such a long rest. She frowned. Human bodies are so troublesome. In my original body, it wouldn't even affect me.

" *Cough* Well, anyway, where are we? What happened while I was asleep? The last thing I remember doing was healing your wounds using my soul power. I wasn't conscious after that."

"I see. Well, it happened like this....." Xiao Bao then told of how he met the three members of the Xiao Family, which was where they were located.

He and the others were surrounded by powerful bandits and Xiao Bao defeated them, effectively revealing his power to his companions. They promised not to reveal his power and made a deal. In exchange for the Yang Flame Fruit he possessed, they would give him a temporary place to stay until Xiaoyao awoke.

Xiao Bao, however, didn't mention that he was being chased by a bunch of his admirers and schemers or why he had them in the first place. She would find out on her own anyway.

"Right, I've been wondering something for a while." Xiaoyao said.

"Hmmm?"

"Why do you call me sister?"

It was then that Xiao Bao realized that Xiaoyao was too drunk to remember anything they said that night.

"Well, you told me about your past and I promised to be a family member who would never betray you."

"Hmmm?" Xiaoyao looked confused. "Why?"

" 'Why?' What do you mean?"

"Well, Xiao Bao, you don't seem like a person who trusts others easily. Why would you trust me?"

"I.....you didn't have to heal my wounds. You could have used your power to instead control me or hurt me. Why did you help someone you didn't completely trust?"

"You.....reminded me a bit of my younger self. Cold, detached, and emotionless. I didn't want you to end up on the same path I didn't so I wanted to change you. The first step to doing that is gaining your trust."

"So, you......had ulterior motives."

Xiaoyao hesitated. "Yes, with good intentions, of course. Besides, I don't have any younger siblings. I have an older sister but she's always so busy, that I hardly get to see her. I don't have any other family. You....filled that gap. So I'm....... very grateful to have met you."

Xiao Bao released Xiaoyao and turned his head as his cheeks became slightly flushed.

"Awww, are you blushing?" Xiaoyao teased as she pinched his soft cheeks.

"Stop that? I'm...... not blushing!!" Xiao Bao pouted.

So cute!! Xiaoyao wanted to move forward and hug him when a sharp pain stopped her from moving. Xiaoyao frowned slightly. Normally, my body should have recovered by now and I should only feel a numb pain. Why does it hurt so much?

Xiao Bao then noticed her abnormality. "Sister, what's wrong?"

"My body is in pain. Since I slept for a while, the pain should be there but shouldn't last for long. However, I still feel a sharp biting pain in my chest."

"Let me check."

"You?"

"Yes. I have a......few medical skills. Let me check your pulse."

Xiaoyao nodded in agreement as Xiao Bao held her wrist. His delicate eyebrows formed a frown and killing intent burst from his body.

"What's wrong?"

"You're poisoned." He said as he clenched his fists.

"Poisoned? Who would dare do something like that? Humph, once I find them, I'd better show them why flowers are so red!"

"Wait!" Xiao Bao called out.

"What?"

"Sister, I'll deal with them." He abruptly stood up and disappeared. Damn those guys. I only rejected them and they already aimed for my sister. Humph, they wanted to see me, then they'll get to......with a price, of course. Xiao Bao's lips curled up into an evil smile.