Chapter 13: Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold

A/ N: Thanks for waiting!! Hope you enjoy!

Xiaoyao got settled in and found some tools she could use to mix the herbs and create the poison. The poison, however, needs to sit for a couple days in order for its full effect to be shown.

During those couple days, she took the time to observe the elders' schedule. From her observations, she learnt that the elders were most vulnerable at around the evening hours.

A week later.....

The poison was finally ready. Xiaoyao changed into a black robe and wore a black veil. She waited till Xiao Bao fell asleep and snuck out into the night. After turning a couple times, she found the maid responsible for the elders' s tea. Xiaoyao crushed something in her hand and let it float towards the maid.

The maid was doing her duties as normal until something felt off. The powder was then breathed in by her. She stopped and felt dizzy. Xiaoyao took advantage of that and slipped the poison into the tea. By the time the maid recovered, Xiaoyao left without a trace.

The maid continued on and served the tea to the elders. Xiaoyao watched in anticipation as the tea was completely drained. She then quietly returned to her room.

'Hahaha! Amazing, Xiaoyao! ' Lianhua exclaimed.

Xiaoyao snorted. 'Hmph! You doubted this goddess?'

'No, no, no, never!! It's just, your body's cultivation is lower than theirs, so I thought you would be discovered.'

'Well.....' Xiaoyao thought to herself. If this was a thousand or so years ago, I wouldn't be able to say that I could do something like that......

'Well what?' Lianhua pressed.

'Well nothing.'

Lianhua pouted. 'Fine! Be that way!'

With that, Lianhua went in a corner and drew circles with his finger. Xiaoyao was about to go comfort the poor guy when a series of knocks were heard at the door.

Xiaoyao raised an eyebrow. Was I caught? She changed into her night gown and opened the door, looking like she just woke up. Xiao Bao was at the door, looking at her with highly suspicious eyes.

Xiaoyao's heart skipped a beat. Did he find out? No, I must calm down. He was asleep....right?

Her question was answered. "I wasn't asleep."

Xiaoyao's eyes slightly widened. ".....And?"

"......." There was an uncomfortable look on his adorable face. "I saw you sneak out."

He then looked up and met her eyes. ".......What were you doing?"

Xiaoyao broke out in sweat. "Ah, umm.......I was, no, I had.....ladies' problems!!" She declared.

"Sister......" Xiao Bao said in an impatient tone.

"Sigh, I guess I can't hide it...." Xiaoyao scratched her head awkwardly. "I dealt with those damned elders that had evil intentions against you with slow-acting poison."

"Why?"

"Because you're my little brother."

Xiao Bao opened his mouth to say something before thinking better of it and promptly closing his mouth. He then silently turned away, but Xiaoyao could see the tips of his ears turn red.

The two chatted for a while longer, and then went to bed.

The next morning, Xiaoyao woke up to feel a disturbance in the air coming from Xiao Bao's room. She rushed there and found him on the verge of breaking through, but he seemed to have difficulties.

So, she released the seal on his Immortal Spirit aura and guarded him. If necessary, she would use the power of her soul to block any enemies, even if that meant the destruction of her current body.

Meanwhile, Xiao Bao was excited. For the first time in months, he was able to advance. The energy in his body constantly slammed against the bottleneck. After a quarter of an hour, Xiao Bao finally broke through.

Xiaoyao could feel that he had grown stronger. He even grew a couple inches and now reached her chest. However, Xiaoyao didn't know what cultivation level she was at. And this was simply because Xiao Bao never bothered to explain it to her.

Everyone started with the basic five levels of body refining. After that, they would move onto refining their blood and their core (better known as dantian). Next, they have to start gathering spirit energy into their bodies. Spirit energy exists everywhere but of course in different quantities because of the area it's in. For example, if there's an icy cave filled with spiritual white crystals, the amount of spirit energy would be in large quantities.

(A/N: Sorry for not explaining the cultivation levels. I'm putting them down below.)

The cultivation levels were split as so:

Body refining (five stages) - this stage basically cleanses the body of all impurities.

- External Stage (refines the skin)

- Internal Stage (refines the flesh)

- Bone and Marrow Stage (refines bone and marrow)

- Blood Meridian Stage (refines the meridians and blood vessels)

- Dantian Stage (refines the dantian)

Blood-Refining Stage (9 levels)

Core-Refining Stage (9 levels)

Then comes the actual cultivation when you start to absorb the spiritual energy.......

- Qi Condesation (9 levels, each level has beginning, intermediate, late and peak stage)

- Qi Hai (also 9 levels, same stages as above)

- Foundation Establishment (4 levels - early, intermediate, late and peak)

- Core Formation (five levels - each level has an early, intermediate, late, and peak stage)

Using his instincts, Xiao Bao managed to cultivate to what he thinks a ninth level early stage Qi Condensation practitioner should be. He's not sure what to do after that, and so he's stuck for now.

Anyway, the two talked some more.

"So, Sister, why a slow-acting poison?" Xiao Bao said in a lowered voice.

"Humph, revenge is a dish best served cold. [1]" She said as her eyes flashed with an unknown light.

[1] revenge is a dish best served cold - vengeance is often more satisfying if it is not exacted immediately.