Chapter 6: The Black Lotus

A/ N: This chapter is much longer than usual. Enjoy!!

Two and a half months later.....

"Sister, please wake up." A sad voice said. "I..... can't take much more of these people."

He left the young girl's body to look out at scenery. Several people appeared at his courtyard. Various emotions were displayed in their eyes such as worship, greed and evil intentions. Seeing this, the boy, Xiao Bao, smiled wryly.

In Xiaoyao's soul......

"Phew!! That took much longer than expected!!" She sighed.

Xiaoyao then examined her soul to see the changes. Unsurprisingly, the power of the dark orb had huge effects on her body. The memories she absorbed also contained the cultivation levels. Through that, she knew that the initial body refining stage had five levels. She was now at the peak of the third level which is the cleansing of the bone and marrow.

As she continued explore, she was surprised to see a fragment of a soul not belonging to her. Again, her curiosity got the better of her as she went to investigate it.

As soon as she touched it, it glowed a bright light. When it cleared, the blonde man she saw before stood in front of her.

"Wh-Who are you?!" Xiaoyao called out cautiously.

The man sighed and looked at her with a helpless smile on his face. "I'm Hei Lianhua. The previous owner of the dark power you now possess."

Xiaoyao's guard dropped a little, but she was still vigilant. Hei Lianhua just laughed at her antics.

"Don't be so wary. I'm not going to bite." He laughed. "Besides, with the power of your soul, you could easily destroy me."

Saying this, Hei Lianhua lowered his head and narrowed his eyes. This girl has an extremely powerful soul, but such a weak body. Why? Who is she? A suspicion was born in his heart. I guess that doesn't matter for now. Whatever the case, I must have her help me.

"Girl, you must be wondering about the dark power you've absorbed."

Xiaoyao thought for a bit and nodded.

Hei Lianhua sighed in relief. "I can tell you, but you must help me."

Xiaoyao's face darkened. "Are you threatening me?"

A murderous aura surrounded her body. It sharpened to a sword pointing directing at Hei Lianhua's throat.

He held his hands up in the air in surrender. "No, no, no. I simply wanted help in my revenge against the enemies who killed me." Damn, this girl is merciless! But this type of control.....it's amazing how she could condense her killing intent into a weapon.

The aura dissipated, causing the sword to disappear. "Speak."

Hei Lianhua relaxed his shoulders and spoke. "Well, it started like this......"

Apparently, Hei Lianhua was abandoned at birth in their eyes. He found by a passing couple. They didn't know what had happened but took the boy under their wing and called him their own.

Though the family was poor, they were happy. The mother, Bai Ling and the father Hei Yu were a happy couple who eloped in order to get married. They named the boy they found Hei Lianhua because of the lotus birthmark on his forehead. For ten years, the family lived in peace and harmony. ..........That was until they came.

Those people destroyed the home and family he lived with in seconds. To protect him Hei Yu and Bai Ling hid him in a secret compartment. They last memory he had of them was their screams of pain as they died.

Hei Lianhua swore to get revenge. After practicing and training himself ruthlessly, he became a full-fledged cultivator. But that wasn't enough. Though he injured some of them, they were much stronger and chased him relentlessly. Lianhua stumbled across the aforementioned ancient dark power and absorbed it. As a result, he became excessively strong.

Soon after, enemies surrounded him. There had to be hundreds, maybe even thousands of them. He defeated them all. It came at a price though. The ancient power he absorbed wanted to devour his soul and every time he used it, he would lose a bit of sanity. Luckily, he was able to control the power the stronger he became.

"Not to brag or anything, but I became known as the Death God due to how the ancient power always killed everyone that stood in its way. When I gained that nickname, I was feared across the continent." Lianhua stuck his chest out in pride.

Xiaoyao silently shook her head at this. That is what bragging is, idiot.

"In the end, though I was able to take revenge, one of the men told me something. That my real parents were killed by their boss. And they wanted to find me because of the precious materials that were absorbed into my body. They wanted to......refine me into an Immortal Elixir just so that their boss could attain immortality. So, my journey wasn't done."

"Did you....."

"Hmm?"

"Did you........have any friends? Companions?"

"Where.......would I have the time for that? Being chased here and there without a break, I..... simply didn't have the time or energy to do so. Besides, my enemies were all around me. Who knew if someone I called a comrade would actually be a foe? So, I was alone. Completely and utterly alone." A sense of desolation and loneliness permeated the area.

".....Want to be friends? Or at least comrades? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain."

Lianhua's reaction was hilarious. He stood up wide-eyed and open-mouthed and stared at Xiaoyao in open shock. "What? What........did you just say?"

"I said, let's be friends."

"You.......how could I trust you?"

" *Sigh* You're such a fool you know that?" Was her response.

Lianhua had the sudden feeling he was being treated as a kid by someone who looked younger than him.

"You have been through a lot of tribulations, as have I." Xiaoyao continued. "Though my experiences may have not been as heart-wrenching as yours, I have still been through similar situations so often, it was to the point where it was difficult for me to trust others."

Lianhua stayed silent. But the suspicion in his heart became stronger. This girl is talking like she's lived for a long time, but I can sense that her body's age is only around 15-16 years old. What's going on?

Xiaoyao sensed Lianhua's doubting gaze and realized that she revealed too much. " *Cough* After my parents abandoned me in a forest, I tried to trust people I met there to help me. One too many times was I betrayed and left to be fed to the wolves."

The doubt in Lianhua's dissipated a bit, but he still couldn't let go of the fact that her soul was too strong. Much stronger than his actually. He decided not to push his boundaries and agreed that they could have a sort of partnership. He will provide the insights he had to repressing the ancient dark power while she could help him take revenge. However, she was too weak now. The only thing she could do is train vigorously to meet his standards.

Lianhua finished the story where he planned an ambush of his enemies' boss, but ended up getting ambushed instead. They chased him all the way to that barren land. He managed to kill a few, but the rest surrounded him. He detonated the power in his body, bringing down almost everyone with him. The boss and a few of his powerful lackeys escaped. Which explains the multitude of corpses around where Xiaoyao found him.

While the two finalized their plans, unknowingly half a month had passed by.

...........

Xiao Bao was being chased around. He lost the crowd and returned to his courtyard. He wiped the sweat off his forehead and sat by Xiaoyao's side only to see her eyelashes flutter. After almost three months of sleeping, Xiaoyao's closed eyes........opened!