Chapter 4: Comatose

A/N: This chapter is a bit longer than usual. Hope you enjoy!!

The pain in Xiaoyao's head faded. The body of the man before her crumbled to dust, a black orb of darkness rising from it.

"What's tha-" Xiaoyao was abruptly cut off as the orb quickly shot into her body. The dark orb quickly shot towards her soul, seeking to devour it. Xiaoyao's eyes darkened. This is.......a bit troublesome. She sighed. I have no choice but to try to seal it with a bit of my powers as a god. I shouldn't use too much for fear of a backlash and possible breakage of my body. But this power.....is a bit too much to seal in a short amount of time.

She frowned. How is it possible for a human to have this kind of power in their body? On top of that, this power...... Never mind. I can only hope that Xiao Bao finds my body before I'm attacked by something or someone.

Xiaoyao sat down cross-legged and used her soul power to gradually suppress the dark power.
.........

Xiao Bao, on the other side, felt the barrier become weaker. He lifted his fist up and smashed it down hard. The barrier cracked open, creating a hole big enough for him to squeeze through. The crack was healing up though, so Xiao Bao jumped through it before it closed and ran forward, frantically looking for Xiaoyao. After a while, he finally found her lying on the ground motionless.

"Sister!! Sister, what's wrong?!" he panicked.

Xiaoyao's body stiffened when hearing footsteps, but relaxed when she realized who it was.

"?.....what's wrong?.....Why are you so.....panicked? I'm....fine. Just a bit.....tired. I'm going...... to sleep okay?" And then she fainted.

Xiao Bao held her limp body both relieved and scared. Relieved because she's safe but scared because he didn't know what happened to make her faint like that.

I will protect her. So that past events will never repeat. Never again. He thought as a a layer of frost covered his eyes. ....I should probably find a way out of this forest.

With that, Xiao Bao lifted the girl up and walked out of the Forbidden Land. Unknown to the both of them, a transparent figure that looked strangely similar to the blonde man aforementioned silently followed the two.

...........

Xiao Bao transversed quickly through forest, using all his energy to ward off approaching demon beasts. Unfortunately, he ran into a high-ranked demon beast and barely managed to escape it with his life hanging on the line.

Ordinarily, he wouldn't find trouble with such a beast, but he had to worry about Xiaoyao this time around. Finally, Xiao Bao made it out of the forest, collapsing down. He dragged his tired body as well as Xiaoyao's and rested in a cave. He kept his vigilance in case someone or something disturbs them.

Xiao Bao didn't notice, however, as a faint orb of light was absorbed into Xiaoyao's body.

As soon as Xiao Bao closed his eyes, a warm light flowed out of Xiaoyao's body, healing the majority of his wounds. This healing power was something she just had as she was a goddess of creation. She could pretty much do anything, even with the power of her soul restricted. You could describe her as a jack-of-all-trades.

Xiao Bao woke to the sounds of voices and rustling.

"Hey, there are kids here!" A young man called out.

"....Should we wake them up?" A feminine voice said.

"I'm not sure." the man replied.

"Let's leave them. They look worn down." A aged voice decided.

Xiao Bao's body relaxed when he heard this but he didn't decrease his vigilance as he knew from experience that human hearts are fickle and cruel. While thinking this, he noticed the state of his body. Though there were still some wounds, the horrible ones were gone without a trace. He had never had such a relaxing sleep before and his whole body felt refreshed. Was it her? I mean, she is a goddess of creation. She could do this much. Happiness flooded his heart. I'm glad I trusted the right person.

In truth, Xiao Bao did not mean it when he said he would be Xiaoyao's ally. It was simply a test. Though Xiaoyao may have been a goddess, that did not mean that Xiao Bao could trust her. He had seen all kinds of people and creatures. And, through his experience, learned to trick others to trusting him and then testing them to make sure that they won't betray him. Sadly, to this day, aside from Xiaoyao, he had no other friends since they had all disappointed him in the end.

The talking resumed.

"But I wonder how these children got here." the woman said, concerned.

"Sigh, it's probably one of those cases where the parents abandoned their children because they couldn't provide for them or they were left here because their parents were hunted down by enemies." the older man said.

"If that's the case, then I feel really sorry for these two." the younger man sighed.

Xiao Bao decided that he didn't have to pretend to be asleep anymore. He shifted a bit and appeared to have just woken up.

"Hmm....mmm? Who are you guys?!" he shouted with a highly vigilant look as he hugged Xiaoyao close to him. "What do you want?!"

"Calm down, little boy. We're not enemies." the woman said in a calming voice. Inwardly, she sighed. What troubles did this kid go through to be so vigilant?

Xiao Bao pouted slightly when he heard the woman call him a 'little boy'.

I'm not a little boy!! He screamed internally. However, this is pretty good acting if I say so myself if they think, physically, I'm that young.

The woman seemed to know what he was thinking as she said, "Alright, alright, you're a grown adult, right?"

"Yes!!"

They all introduced themselves while they talked. Just before Xiao Bao would introduce himself.......

"Hey, you two, be cautious! We've got some company." Elder Xiao yelled as his eyes narrowed. "Yu'er, Yi'er, protect the two kids!!"

"Yes, Father." Xiao Yu and Xiao Yi obeyed and went to Xiao Bao's and Xiaoyao's side.

The danger approached them, and it wasn't demon beasts like they originally thought. They were bandits, and their auras were powerful.