Chapter 4

Ming walked toward the far end of their school where Basketball court was situated, it was only 2 30 PM but his last class got cancelled and he decided to catch on some extra practice.

It is his habit to sort out his thoughts as he played, and ever since he moved to Woodhaven few weeks back, his life had become nothing but chaotic.

He saw Phana, his captain shooting hoops from afar a slow smile formed on his lips, looks like he had the same idea as well.

Ming used to be very reserved with people other than those who are close to him; his dyslexia made him a weirdo in addition to having adoptive parents who were old enough to be his grandparents.

He sighed, thinking about his parents but despite his nature, there was something about Phana that made him feel comfortable, like he can rely on him, he can trust him.

"Is gawking at people a habit of yours?" Phana yelled when he spotted the younger

Ming shook his head, maybe it is Phana's nature – he gave off that 'safety net' vibe.... "Only those who are handsome" he joked.

"Is that the only reason you are stalking Kit?" Phana raised his eyebrows, holding the ball on his right hand, while he raked his hair with left.

Damm Ming had not expected that to be the first question, he had a hunch when Phana had called him but looks like he had to deal with a straight shooter both on and off court.

"Well?" Phana asked

"Maybe" Ming responded

"Maybe doesn't cut it kid" Phana said it in a cold tone but his expression conveyed disappointment

"I didn't mean it like that" Ming said feeling instantly guilty, Phana's gaze reminded him of his late mother – she used to have the same expression whenever he had caused trouble. "I am sorry" he mumbled.

"Why don't we play?" Phana asked throwing the ball at Ming.

The friendly game broke the initial tension between the two, and both were laughing at the end of 15 mins, when they walked together to the bleachers

"Stay in this form" Phana said as he passed on the water bottle, "Earth will make you his vice-captain"

"Thanks" Ming said as he sat down, he continued to look at the empty bottle in his hands unsure of how to proceed.

"So, coming back to Kit" Phana said his expression serious "Why are you stalking him?"

"Stalking seems to be a big word" Ming said, and then as an afterthought added "What is it to you?"

"I see you around us every time when we are in school" Phana said "sometime even during class hours, that falls into the category of stalking according to me"

Ming looked up into those black orbs he sighed "Will you believe me if I say I love him"

"Probably not" Phana replied

"well, it doesn't matter" Ming spat back "If you two are in a relationship, then I will not disturb him"

"What if we are?" Phana cut it short.

Ming looked heartbroken, Phana could not frame another word – he was heartbroken with just that question and his eyes it seemed could never lie or hide his feeling.

Ming took a deep breath "Then I wish you two the best", he got up and started walking away "Make him happy".

He means it Phana thought and then yelled back "I will make sure my best friend is happy"