It Runs in the Family

Me and Ben were flying on Staraptors, trying to get to Oblivia. "Y'know, it's funny how your sister was a Top Ranger who saved Almia, and now you're a Top Ranger that's going to a new region for reinforcements..." Ben mused. "You and your sister are pretty great."

"Yeah, but my sister was also stubborn as a Tauros!" I called back.

"It must run in the family." Ben said, thinking that I couldn't hear him over the gentle wind.

"WHAT WAS THAT?!"

Ben looked over at me, his goggles hiding his pretty hazel eyes, and gave me a stunning smile. "Noooothiiiing!" He childishly sang.

"Good." I grunted and turned my attention back onto the sky in front of me. I saw a red dot and two black dots in the distance and squinted. The red dot seemed to be running away from the black dot and were those... plasma cannons?! "Ben, I think a Pokemon needs our help!" I shouted to him.

"What?" He asked, putting a hand up to his ear. Ugh. Why does his hearing always fail him when something's important?

I tell my Staraptor to speed torwards the black dots. Ben'll figure out what he's supposed to do. Eventually.

Apparently, I was right because Ben was now at my side. "Headstrong as always!" Ben said through the roaring wind as we picked up speed.

"Runs in the family, doesn't it?" I playfully shouted before Staraptor caught a wind current and launched us farther ahead of Ben.

As I approached the flying trio, I saw that the black dots were two people flying spaceship-like automobiles. My Staraptor screeched as we neared them.

"Who's there?" One of the idiots asked.

The other turned around to see what the fuss was about. The girl gasped. "Red goggles... Yellow scarf... And a styler!" She yelled to Idiot Uno. "She must be a Ranger!"

I already had a snappy remark on my tongue. I bit my lip, eager to retort. I held my toungue.

"W-What are you just standing there for?!" Idiot Dos shouted at Idiot Uno. "Get her!"

Uno bit his lip and punched a few buttons on the weird metal glove on his hand. "Pidgey, attack!"

"Capture On!" I shouted back, hitting a large red button that shot my capture disc out. Using my fingers as a guide, I looped it around the Pidgey. "Capture Complete!" I announced.

Honestly, I was a little insulted that they sent a Pidgey after a Top Ranger. Apparently, Dos thought so, too, because she brought her flymobile-thingy closer to Uno's and slapped the back of his head. "Really? We have a plethora of Pokemon to throw at this Ranger and you choose a Pidgey?!" I felt inclined to agree with the enemy. Then she turned her anger on me. "And you! Oblivia's a peaceful place! We don't need a Ranger like you to ruin it!"

"Oh?" I started. "So if Oblivia's peaceful, then why are you two wannabes chasing around a poor Pokemon? Is Oblivia so peaceful that you have nothing to do, so you torture poor Pokemon for amusement?" I asked, my face completely stoic.

"No. But what will look amusing is your face when you realize that you're completely helpless once we break that capturing toy of yours with our Plasma Cannons!" Idiot Uno gave me a victorious smirk, as if he had already won. Ugh, I hate people like him. I'm gonna take him down a few pegs.

As they shot at me, Staraptor dodged gracefully without a moment of hesitation. A few seconds later, they stopped shooting.

"Wow, you're good!" Idiot Dos said. "Let's see if you can beat THIS!" She started spamming a button on a handle. "Oh no! The battery is dead on my cannons!"

"Mine, too!" Her partner added. Haha. Serves them right! "I guess shooting wildly at her wasn't the brightest idea, huh?"

"I guess we'll just have to ram her!"

I heard a Staraptor's shriek and I looked over to see Ben beside me. "Now you have to deal with two Rangers!" Ben told them.

"What took you so long?" I teased. I was grateful for the back up. "Were you ordering a pizza, or something?" Yeah, I can just throw away the possibility of getting hurt if I can tease Ben. It's one of the perks of having a best friend.

"Yeah. You want pepperoni?" He retorted. We started laughing at each other.

"They're distracted!" Uno cried. "We should just retreat while we still can!"

That snapped us back to reality and all traces of humor fled from our faces.

"Hold on!" A voice below us said. "There's one more on our side, too!" A guy on a red flyer popped out of the clouds behind the two imbeciles. He had blonde hair with a red streak. I could feel his red eyes sizing me up from here.

"Our leader!" Dos shouted. "Those are Pokemon Rangers!"

I rolled my eyes as Ben said exactly what I was thinking. "Oh? You figured that out yourself, did you?"

"Two Ranger brats putting on airs with their yellow scarves and red goggles... What a joke!" The guy laughed.

I decided that if I had a doubt in my mind about hating him, it was gone now. "WE'RE a joke?! You're the leader of a team can't even handle a couple of 'brats'!" Ben retorted.

"You there..." The strange red-clad guy said to Ben. "Do you know the consequences for mouthing off like that? Skydiving... With no parachute!"

My eyes widened as I realized what was about to happen. The leader shot his cannons at Ben. Ben wasn't aware of what was about to happen and I knew what I had to do... I made Staraptor swerve in front of Ben and took the hit.

In the next instant, my body felt fried and I was falling headfirst into the ocean, AKA, my watery doom. I managed right myself and pulled on my goggles and aqualung. I knew that the force of the water hitting against me was going to probably rip my goggles and aqualungs off of me, so I gripped them until my knuckles turned white.

Before I hit the water, I heard Ben yell my name.

Navi (My Voice Navigator) beeped. "The Capture Styler has come off! Urgent! Reattach the Capture Styler! The Capture Styler has come off! Urgent! Reattach the Capture Sty...ler..."

Oh, no! This bad! Bad, bad, bad! I see my styler sinking and I swim to get it, but a Mantyke saw it and took it. I will Never understand water pokemon's attraction to shiny objects. I swam after it, trying to calm it down without the use of my Styler.

After a while of swimming, I wore it down and it dropped my Capture Styler. I went to pick it up and noticed what it had landed on; a colorful marble floor. Underwater civilizations? Highly unlikely. I was amazed that the colors on the floor were so vibrant, but I had no time to study this interesting artifact because Ben needed me.

Navi beeped again. "Warning! Massive object approaching! Warning! Warning! Extremely strong current! The current is... zzz zzz zzz..."

Arceusdammit. Things couldn't get much worse, could they? I tried to swim out of the way of the object, but I was pulled backwards by the current. In my flailing, my left arm (I'm left-handed, so this is also my capturing arm) was cut on a sharp edge of... A ship?

I was wrong, then. Things DID get much worse. My burns were stinging, my arm was cut and the salt water really hurt... And I lost my best friend.

I blacked out.