Chapter 30| Christmas dinner

"Selena! Dinners almost ready." My mom shouts. I slip on a pair of fuzzy socks before rushing down the stairs. The living room is covered in wrapping paper scraps and a few gift boxes. Ever since we opened all those gifts this morning, we got too lazy to clean it up.

When I walk into the kitchen I see my mom by the stove with her apron still on. She stirs the pot with the wooden spoon and a few strands of hair fall in front of her face. Cora's setting up the table and for once, she doesn't look mad.

My dad walks in behind me, heading straight to my mom, kissing her cheek.

"Your grandparents couldn't make it tonight." Her voice is full of disappointment, carrying a bowl to the table. "Apparently all the airports in Indiana are all snowed in. Maybe they'll come in time for your birthday, Selena."

I hear the doorbell go off and we all shoot our heads towards the door. "I'll get it." I finally say, walking over to the door.

"Grayson?" My voice comes out faint. I look over at my parents who aren't even paying attention to the door. I go outside, closing the door behind me.

"Hi," I squeak. "What're you doing here? Isn't it sort of late?"

He holds out a wrapped present and I lightly gasp. "Merry Christmas."

I take the box out of his hands and get on my tiptoes to kiss his cheek. "I haven't even wrapped yours- - you didn't have to get me anything."

"I wanted too and besides, my birthday present made up for it." He winks.

I feel my face turn hot so I awkwardly laugh.

"You should've given this to me tomorrow. I bet your parents are mad you're over here or something." I hold the gift behind my back, pacing from side to side.

"It's just me today. My dad got snowed in at a random airport in Illinois and my mom's working, again."

I think his mom's a nurse? I don't know. My mom is a front desk lady at the local hospital and my dad owns a business or something. I don't pay attention to it because he'll go on and on about economics and stuff.

I bite down on my lip, taking a deep breath. "My grandparents couldn't come last minute, and my mom made food for six people. Would you like to spend Christmas dinner with us?"

He scratches the back of his neck and says, "Your parents wouldn't want their daughter's friend to eat dinner with them. It's the holidays and I'm sure your parents want to spend their day off with their kids-"

Friend.

We're friends?

After what the fuck happened last night? I woke up with the back of my throat hurting just to be called a friend?

I shake off the annoying feeling, opening the front door and my parents look back at me. "Can a friend stay over for dinner?"

My mom's face lights up. She nods as she gets up to get another plate.

I look back at Grayson and hold out my hand. "You're staying and you're not leaving until you're full."

I let him inside, tossing my present on the couch. "Sorry about the mess, we got too lazy to clean everything this morning."

He follows behind me to the kitchen where my mom has her back turned to us and my dad is scanning through the fridge for drinks.

"Holy shit." Cora's gasp comes out with a mixture of laugher, looking Grayson up and down.

I take a deep breath as they all look at Grayson. "Mom, Dad...Cora, this is Grayson. His parents are busy at work and I didn't want him to spend the holidays alone. I'm sure Abuelo and Abuela won't mind the missing food, right?"

My mom tries her best to not look surprised as she walks over to him, holding out her hand. "Hi, I'm Veronica."

"Hi, I'm Grayson." He smiles, shaking her hand. She warmly smiles at him then turns around to introduce my dad and Cora.

"That's my husband, Mark, and my other daughter, Cora." She rubs Cora's shoulder, making her perk a fake smile.

She guides Grayson to a seat that's next to mine. I sit down next to him, watching my mom starting to serve everyone's food.

"So you're the guy Selena would visit all the time last month?" Cora stabs her food with her fork. He nods as he's still chewing his food.

"Grayson is actually my math tutor that I talked to you guys about." I look at my parents.

My mom's face lights up and she smiles, "You're the boy she's always talking about? I can see why, you're such a gentleman, Grayson."

He blushes and thanks her for the compliment. This whole dinner couldn't get any more awkward.

"So are you two dating?" Cora asks.

If she wasn't so far away I'd kick her under the table. She smirks as Grayson clears his throat. He glances over my dad who's staring at him exactly like Cora.

"Stop annoying him with these questions, Cora!" I warn her.

"I just wanted to know." She shrugs. "You wouldn't break her heart like her ex did, right. I mean it's kind of hard to top that off-"

"Cora," my mom gives her a warning look. "that's enough."

She scoffs, pouting her lips right after.

After we finish eating Cora dashes upstairs and my dad disappears into his office. Grayson and I help clean up which makes me mom smile brightly. We load all the dishes into the dishwasher while she puts the leftovers in containers.

After we finish cleaning up my mom washes her hand, the quickly dries them. "It was lovely having you over for Christmas dinner, Grayson. I hope to see you again?"

He nods, "Thank you guys for having me, and hopefully if Selena lets me." He chuckles as they both look at me.

"Yeah yeah, I'm just going to walk him out." I mock.

I walk Grayson all the way to his car where I feel the cool breeze. He gets into his car and then I lean in, resting my arms on the open window.

"Tell your mom thanks for the food. I really appreciate it and I'm sure my mom will too." He smiles.

I nod. "Thank you again for the present. I'll give you yours next time we see each other, okay?"

He nods then puts his phone in the cupholder.

"Merry Christmas, Grayson," I say softly.

He leans in and we share a quick kiss.

"Merry Christmas, Selena." He mimics my tone.

"No, I don't know what he got me!" I whisper yell to Genevieve.

"Set me down, I wanna see your reaction." She grins.

I set my phone on my vanity, then grab the wrapped present. I eagerly rip off the wrapping paper to reveal a white box. I glance over at Genevieve who has a confused look on her face.

I open up the small white box and lightly gasp once I see what's inside.

"What is it?" She eagerly asks.

"A charm bracelet." I smile, taking the bracelet out and twirling the charms between my fingers.

There's only three charms.

A book.

An infinity sign.

And a heart.