Chapter 3| Oh baby

I ring the doorbell and wait impatiently for Gaby to open the door. I felt bad canceling my tutoring session today. Genevieve's right about taking a break from it but I still didn't want to let Grayson down.

The door opens and Gaby sighs in relief once she sees me. She grabs my wrist and yanks me inside, nearly knocking the wind out of me. She slams the door and Genevieve rushes down the stairs.

"Finally! I thought you wouldn't show." Genevieve sighs.

I look back and forth at them and furrow my eyebrow. "What's going on?"

Genevieve looks at Gaby and she looks down at the floor. She moves her hand to her back pocket and takes something out. I try to look at the box in her hand and she holds it out. "I'm late."

Late for what? I look at the box and feel my eyes widen. She's that late.

"Gaby..." I say with a hint of disappointment.

"I haven't gotten my period in over two months! I thought my cycle was changing dates or something but then my boobs started getting bigger and I'm always nauseous-"

"Two months late?! You didn't think of taking a test the first time you missed it?!" I say loudly.

"My period is never regular! I thought it was the usual." She pouts.

I look at Genevieve who's has the same look as me.

"I gotta do this now while no one's home." She rips open the box and pulls out the test. Teen pregnancy for us was sort of taboo. No one really talked about it or talked about being a parent at such a young age.

All they taught us was to not have sex in school. I don't think I've ever seen a pregnant girl at school before.

She walks upstairs to the bathroom and shuts the door. Genevieve and I stand there in silence for a minute and absorb the tension. She walks up to me and glances at the door. "Do you think she's pregnant?"

"I hope not." I gulp.

She purses her lip and hums. "Selena, there's this rumor going around that-"

The door swings open and Gaby walks out of the bathroom. She has the test in between some sheets of toilet paper. She walks downstairs and shoves the test in her pocket.

That was way too quick.

"How long do we wait?" I ask.

"It says three minutes." She mumbles.

"Hey, why didn't you invite Scarlett? Shouldn't she be here?" Genevieve sits down the couch and raises her eyebrow.

"Sh-She was busy." Gaby mumbles.

The next two and a half minutes are silent. They feel like an hour each. It's nerve-wracking for me I can barely imagine what it feels like for Gaby. What if she is pregnant? What the fuck are we going to do? I don't want to abandon her. If she is, she'll need us the most during this time.

I didn't even know Gaby was having sex that recently. She said she lost her virginity to some guy that worked with her at her summer job. Her summer job was a snow cone place that only opens during summer.

Gaby's phone goes off and we all flinch at the loud noise. She stands up from the couch and we both look up at her.

"I can't look at it." She confesses. "You guys look."

She takes the test from her pocket and holds it out. She holds it so the results are facing the floor and we can't see what it says. I hesitatingly grab it from her and Genevieve stands next to me.

"You want it to say negative, right?" I ask to make sure.

"Yes! I'm only sixteen! I'm not ready for a baby! No one is ready for one at sixteen, Selena!" She cries.

I look at Gen and she gives me a nod. I unfold the toilet paper and fill over the test.

"Well?" She asks. "It's negative right?"

Genevieve and I stay quiet as we look at the bolded Pregnant+ result on the small screen. She takes it from my hand and looks down at it.

She gasps and puts her other hand over her mouth. Tears immediately start flowing down her cheeks. Genevieve and I stand there quietly as we all process this.

"I can't be pregnant." She whispers. "My parents are going to kill me."

"Genevieve and I are here for you, Gaby. No matter what you choose to do, we're here for you." I reassure her.

"So who's the dad?" Genevieve crosses her arms over her chest.

Gaby wipes tears away from her face with the back of her hand and flutters her lashes. "I really don't want to talk about right now."

"Wouldn't he like to know, though?" She asks.

"Genevieve, cut it out," I warn her.

She puts her hands up and says, "I'm just saying!"

"Whatever is going with you two, sort it out! Gaby, I'm sorry but I gotta go home for dinner, I'll see you later." I walk over and tightly hug her.

I take one last look at them and I can tell there's something going on. But it's none of my business.

Genevieve's POV

I wait for Selena to close the door before I start talking. Once I see the door shut I take the friendly smile off my face and glare at Gaby. "Alright quit the act. You know the rumor going around."

"Genevieve, I can expl-"

"So it's true? He's the dad?" I scoff.

She stays quiet and more tears start streaming down her face. "This was never supposed to happen."

"How could you guys do that to her? Selena has been nothing but a great friend to you and this is how you repay her? Did you not hear her right now? She finds out you're pregnant and is already showing her support for you!"

"I know, I know. Do you think I wanted this to happen? I was never supposed to get pregnant! I don't want this baby! I'm sixteen for crying out loud."

"I don't care," I say. "You and Calvin are telling Selena. She won't believe me if I tell her. Tell her by next week or I will."

I see as Gaby stays quiet and I roll my eyes. I rush out the door and head to my car parked on the side of the road.