Chapter 24| Keep quiet

It's been almost a month and Grayson hasn't woken up. I've visited him every day after school and on weekends I'd spend the night. My parents think it's weird I'm doing all this for someone who isn't my boyfriend. I feel like Elle and I have such a gold relationship now. All we could talk about was about Grayson. No one else has visited him so far. Genevieve doesn't want to see him because of the guilt. She always waits in the waiting room.

His parents said that if he doesn't wake up when it hits a month then they'll take him off life support. It's going to be a month next week.

It's now Wednesday and I immediately drove to the hospital after school. I need to have another conversation with Grayson. I walk up to this hospital room and his mom greets me.

"Can I talk to Grayson again?" I softly smile, fidgeting with my hands behind my back.

She opens the door wider and lets me in.

"Of course, I'll be in the food court. Call me if anything changes." She pats my shoulder and walks out, Steven follows her and he closes the door behind him.

I sit on Grayson's bed and hold his hand. I've been holding his limp hand for weeks now.

"Today was just a normal day I guess you could say. Except your parents want to take your pain away and take you off life support when you get to a month if you haven't woken up yet." I felt tears rushing down my face.

"These last couple of weeks made me realize something, Grayson. It's always been you. I should've kissed you that night. God, and I've been wanting to do it ever since I got home that night. I was going to kiss you that Monday. You were supposed to be awake and conscious. It's you, Grayson. You're the one I want! It's always been you. I don't know why I didn't realize that sooner but it's always been you! You're the one I want to do all that cheesy relationship stuff with and I want us to hold each other in one another's arms and talk about our days. I hate that it took me so long to realize but it's you! You're the one I'm in love with. I love you!"

I immediately put my hand over my mouth. Did I really just say that? That I love him? Do I? Or was I just in the moment? Fuck!

"Please, just wake up. Wake up so we can be a couple and do all that cheesy romantic shit." I wiped tears off my cheeks. "I didn't want to admit it to myself that I had feelings for you. I didn't think it was true. I thought it was just me being desperate after my breakup. But this month has made me realize that I was wrong about all of this. I'm ready for a relationship with you, Gray. I know you're not like Calvin, I know you'll treat me differently in a better way."

"But you have to wake up," I whispered and kissed his hand.

I stared at all his cuts and bruises and the machines plugged up to him. He looked peaceful just lying there. I wiped tears from my face and grabbed my stuff. "Goodbye Grayson," I whispered. I texted his mom that I was leaving and walked to my car.

"I need him to wake up, Gen, I just need him to," I whined, dropping my books on my bed.

"He'll wake up, Selena. I just know it." She smiled, grabbing one of her math notebooks.

I started doodling on my notebook and sighed. "What if doesn't? What if he doesn't wake up on time and then they take him off?"

"You're overthinking this. Grayson will wake up...you just need to give him time." She mumbled.

"Time?! He's been in a coma for almost a month. That's enough time for me!" I whined, scribbling in my notebook.

"Maybe it isn't enough time for him." Genevieve shrugged.

I rolled my eyes and started doing my math homework. Genevieve has tried explaining it to me as best as she could, but it doesn't compare to Grayson's.

"I want to be his girlfriend." I blurted out, immediately covering my mouth.

Genevieve's eyes widen as she faced me. "You what?!"

I took a deep breath and acted 'confident'. "I want to be his girlfriend."

"Awww, I knew you'd come around!!" She squealed.

"Okay, but you can't tell anyone, Genevieve Rose." I put my finger against her lip and shushed.
She pushed my hand away and furrowed her eyebrows. "Why not?"

"He's in a fucking coma for one, He probably didn't hear me, and he's the one that probably needs the time." I bit my lip.

Genevieve spun in my desk chair and rolled her eyes. "Well if he doesn't say yes then I'll beat his ass."

"Genevieve Rose Cordova, don't start." I pointed with my finger.

She pouted and crossed her arms before breaking out into a chuckle. "I mean who would reject you? Come on, Selena, look at yourself."

"Calvin," I mumbled, flipping my hair back.

"Yeah well, Calvin's an asshole." She rolled her eyes.

"Our dear old friend, Gabrielle, doesn't seem to think that." I pout and rest my chin on my knuckle.

"Selena, what do I always tell you?" Genevieve crossed her arms and glared at me.

"Don't let them get to me." I mocked her voice.

"Exactly." She sighed. "And what are you letting them do?"

"Get to me," I mumble and roll my eyes at the thought of her being right.