Chapter 17| Shopping

"I don't know how I feel about that one." I stared at the long black dress Genevieve is wearing. She stared at herself in the store mirror and starts biting her nail. The long blue hits the floor and it's off the shoulder.

"It's only my parent's anniversary party. What's the problem with black?" She turns and faces me.

"It's an anniversary party, not a funeral. Here try on the blue one. It'll go with the theme better." I motion to the blue dress hanging on the rack.

She grabs the dress and walks back into the dressing room. I start focusing on the tv in the corner playing some weird sitcom that probably didn't make it after the first season.

After a few minutes I hear Genevieve walking back out and I stare at her as she walks in. She steps on the small platform and her hands travel down to her hips. She grins and a small squeal escapes her lips.
"Holy shit, this looks amazing!"

The dark blue dress is very simple yet it looks stunning on her. It was a v-neck cut and a slit down her right leg. She fluffs her hair and she can't stop smiling at herself. "I'm getting it."

"What do you think?" I step onto the platform and twirl the dress a little. The gold dress wraps around my body and it feels a little hard for me to breathe.

I see Genevieve scrunch her nose through the mirror and she shakes her head no. "You look like a condom packet."

I gasp and she bursts into laughter. I turn red in embarrassment and waddle back into the dressing room. There's only one dress left and it's a sort of pink color. I quickly put it on and don't even look at myself in the mirror that's in the dressing room. I pick up the dress from the floor and walk outside where Genevieve is. She's sitting on the couch, scrolling through her phone and she looks up when I clear my throat.

Her jaw drops and I finally look at myself in the mirror. I look down at the cut and my eyes widen. "Don't you think this cut is a little much for a seventeen-year-old?"

"Who cares." She walks up to me and smiles. "You have the boobs for it. It looks great on you!"

I make a face and do a little twirl.

"I'm thinking an updo maybe? Or beach waves? Ooh, we can go see Jimmy!" She fluffs my hair with her hands.

"Looks like I'm taking it." I smile.

After we buy our dresses and shoes Genevieve calls Jimmy while I pack the stuff into the car.

"Really? You'll fit us in? Jimmy thank you!" She grins. She hangs up the phone and claps her hands eagerly.

"Saturday we have an appointment with Jimmy at noon. Then we come back and do our makeup and put on our dresses." She says.

That sounds perfect.

"Also," Her smile faces and she gets serious. "My parents invited Gaby and Calvin."

"What?!" I panic and my eyes widen.

"They didn't know that I stopped being friends with them and when I finally told them it was too late because they had already sent out the invitations."

"I'm not going anymore." I look bite my tongue.

"You have to, Selena! Be with Grayson and don't let them affect you." She begged. "Please."

"Fine, but if they try talking to me, I'm leaving." I sigh.

I've seen both of them around school but I always avoid them. Ever since I slapped Gaby and got an in-school suspension for it, she hasn't stepped near me. I must admit I did feel a little guilt when I slapped her. I didn't think she'd be the first person I'd slap. No one tells you that your hand feels like it's burning after you slap someone.

"Are you scared?" Genevieve asks.

"About?"

"You know- -scared of getting into a new relationship, because of everything that happened?" Her voice sounds almost like a mumble.

Am I?

"I guess? I don't know, I just feel like I lost a lot of trusts that day and I'm scared for it to happen to me again. Besides, I'm not getting into a relationship any time soon." I reject any of her thoughts or fantasies.

"You could've just said yes." Genevieve chuckled. "Anyways, I know Grayson won't do that to you, he seems like the right one for you, Sel." She smiles.

I roll my eyes and she laughs. "I don't like him like that and you know it."

She nods and continues to chuckle.