Chapter 29: End of the Line

At the Kronos Facility, one of the younger Zeus Corps Pilot runs to the chopper. He attempts to start the engine but is startled with a pistol is pressed against his temple.

James: Turn off the engine and step out of the chopper. Do it slowly with your hands up.

Zeus Corps Pilot: okay, please, don't kill me....

Billy, Walter and Nathan aim their guns at the pilot as Ashley, Nora and Sarah appear.

James: Give the gun to my friend here. Do it slowly. Billy! Start the chopper!

The Pilot pulls the pistol out of his holster.

Zeus Corps Pilot: here, you go....

The young Zeus Corps pilot then holds it in front of Nathan to offer it to him. Suddenly, as he hands the pistol over, Nathan shoots the pilot in the head. The gunshot startles James, Billy, Walter, Nora, Ashley and Sarah. As the pilot falls lifelessly on the ground, the others give Nathan a shocking look.

Nora: Nathan!

Sarah: Jesus! What did you do?!

Walter: What the fuck was that?!

Billy: What the fuck, Nathan?!

Nathan: how many of our people died? I don't think he felt any sympathy...

James: No, he was just a kid! He was scared!

Nathan: You would have done that same thing!

James: No! I wouldn't!

Walter: What did you do, boy?

Ashley: What did you do, Nathan?!

Nathan: I couldn't take the chance.... he's just like them.

James: Guys! We don't have time for this! We have to help Dante and Kyle!

Nathan enters the chopper, as Ashley nods. Sarah looks at James then enters the chopper. Nora gives a discomforting look as she and Walter enter the helicopter. Billy enters the pilots' seat.

Billy: All right, let's see if I remember how to pilot a helicopter.

Billy pilots the helicopter and lifts off, as James looks out the passenger window.

James: I hope we're not too late.

The helicopter begins to take off. Meanwhile, on the train, Barnes pins Kyle to the floor and begins to pummel him. Barnes then begins to strangle Kyle.

Barnes: You're not going to stop this, kid. The Oasis will launch and a age of superhumans under my command will begin.

Suddenly, Dante appears and tackles Barnes, saving Kyle. Dante punches Barnes repeatedly.

Dante: You fucker! You made me kill my son! I'm gonna kill you!

Barnes maneuvers and kicks Dante off, before punching Dante across the floor.

Barnes: I made your boy into a survivor! Into a killer! You should thank me!

As Barnes closes in, he is suddenly shot by Walter, who is on the helicopter, manning the gun turret.

Walter: Come on, you motherfucker!

Barnes opens fire onto the helicopter, giving Dante and Kyle regroup and come up with a plan.

Kyle: There's the Oasis! We gotta shut it down! Any plans?!

A moment.

Dante: I'll go for the Oasis chamber! You get it open!