Chapter 1: The Apocalyptic Wasteland

2029

Twenty years later, in an laboratory, 8 stacks of tanks filled with water and people, one of them opens containing an elderly and bearded Dante, who wakes up frightened as the alarm goes off. An automatic voice repeats: "warning test subject loose. Subject Identified. Test Number 19." Dante looks around the environment.

Dante: Ryan?! Ryan?! Hello?!

Dante wonders around the facility and comes to a door, where she finds a corpse.

Dante: Oh, my god.....

He stumbles upon a set of barricaded doors, where a monstrous hand creaks through, and growls are heard from the other side. Dante manages to get outside, where he crawls to the top of a hill and finds the city of California in ruins. Bodies of both men and women lie on the ground. Dante walks several miles on the open road barefooted. Dante eventually enters the forest, where he steps on a shard of glass, causing him to grunt in pain.

Dante: Agh! Damn it!

Dante sits on top of a overturned log and pulls the shard out of the bottom of his foot. Dante then tosses away the shard, before managing to spot a farm a couple miles away. Dante, tired, stops and sits on the step of a small house next to the farm. Dante walks into the barn and notices a horse. Dante calmly approaches the horse and pets it when suddenly the horse starts to neigh as Dante attempts to calm the horse down. He then spots an incoming thin man with blistering skin. The blistering man is suddenly shot as Dante is startled and turns his head to notice an man standing behind her with a shotgun.

Bo: Who the hell are you and what are you doing sneaking around here? Why are you near my horse? 

Bo cocks his shotgun.

Bo: I asked you a question, damn it!

Dante: (stands up with his hands in the air) Please! Don't shoot me, man!...I...I didn't mean to trespass...I was just passing through....please don't kill me! I-I hurt my foot.

Bo: You said you're hurt?

Dante: yes...please..I just need-.

Bo: Step back, friend! I don't want to shoot you, but you best tell me what you doing around here and why are you near my horse?

Dante: This is your horse? Well...he's a nice horse....

Bo: "She", friend.

Dante: She....she's nice.....but I don't mean any trouble....I swear.

Bo: Yeah, that's what they all say and trouble ends up coming in.

An infected figure suddenly appears and bites into the horses neck, causing it to jump up in panic.

Bo: No!

Bo shoots at the infected man. The horse falls mortally wounded as Bo tends to his fallen steed, comforting and petting it.

Bo: Damn it....easy, girl....it's okay....it's okay....

The horse dies as Dante watches in sadness.

Dante: I'm sorry....

The horse finally dies, before Bo stands up and turns to Dante.

Bo: This is your fucking fault!

Dante: Look, buddy...I'm sorry about your horse...really...whatever that guy did, I'm really sorry...

Bo: That thing...was not a guy....It was a Skinner...Come on...I got a camp near here....and it's getting late....better get you someplace safe...get your dressed...

Bo walks by as Dante looks around at the carnage.

Bo: Hey, old man! You comin?

Dante blinks for a moment, before following Bo. Later on, Bo and Dante arrive in an abandoned apartment building.