Chapter Seventeen

*Hoseok's POV*

"Bye Hoseok, have a good break tomorrow and happy birthday too. Spend some time with your family and friends," Boss smiles.

"Thank you," I nod

Oh yes. No work tomorrow, on my birthday. Unfortunately, Hope who is really my only family she won't be here for my birthday this year. It's going to feel so odd. It's the first time in my 25 years of life she isn't going to be here for my birthday.
Namjoon and Yoongi are going to be busy too. I guess I'll just spend some time with Seokyi in the hospital.

I walk out to the parking lot, a light breeze bring shivers up my spine. I don't know if the shiver is from the breeze or the thought of me turning 26.

I load myself into the car and start to drive home.

"26. I'm turning 26." I whisper to myself

26 years of life in this world. Half of my lifetime without my parents.
Hope is 19. Eleven years without parents. She's strong.

Mom, I'm turning 26 tomorrow. I hope I have made you proud in my 25 years of life. I don't know where you are, but I hope you are well. I love you.

As I drive down the streets, moments of Hope and I flashes. Honestly, she just visited two weeks ago when Seokyi went into the hospital but I still miss her so much.

She FaceTimed me yesterday wishing me a happy birthday. She seemed a little upset about not being here but it's fine. I told her it was fine. We both know we shouldn't use our money on traveling between the two cities. I'll see her during spring break. One month.

In a blink of an eye, I'm home. I was so deep in thought the time passed fast.

As I drag my way up the fourth floor, the fragrance of oven baked goods fill my nostrils causing my empty stomach to growl.

I miss food that smells so delicious. It must be from our next door neighbour, Mrs. Jenn, for a family gathering since it's family day tomorrow.

I pull out my key from my pocket and push it into the key hole, unlocking my door and allowing me into my small apartment. Once I push the door open, a smell of fresh cooked food rush towards me. Whatever food Mrs Jenn made next door must really have gone through the walls.

I flick on the light.

I gasp.

A line of seven people stand in awkward poses.

On the left, a boy sits on our wooden, worn down chair with another boy sitting on top.
Next, two younger kids, one girl one boy posing like they were in mid fight.
In the middle, a broad shoulder boy holding a sign that reads "Surprise!"
And another tall boy beside him holds another sign that reads "Happy birthday Hyung!"
Last, a boy leans against the small couch with his head tilt back and eyes closed as if he's asleep.

Jungkook, Jimin, Jungmin, Jungsoo, Jin, Namjoon, and the sleepy head Yoongi.

My lips pull into a wide smile.

My eyes flit around the small apartment, streamers, banners, balloons fill the whole room.

"Is this. For me?" I ask in shock
"It is for you hyung, Happy birthday!" Jungkook burst out and everyone break away from their poses
"Thank you so much! I love you guys so much!" I show gratitude with a smile stretched from ear to ear
"I'm so happy!" I give each one of them a tight hug
"That's good! Now let's open presents first!" Jin suggests
"Presents first? You guys even got me presents?! You guys didn't have to."
"Of course we did! What's a birthday without presents?!" Jimin exclaims
"Trust me, when we finish all the presents, you will know why presents are first." Jin adds