Chapter 15: The Real Reason

Mountain Glenn's crawling with Grimm. As part of keeping watch, Ruby's keeping watch with her sniper rifle.

3rd Person POV

Yang: "Blake, you awake?"

Blake: "Yeah."

Yang: "Why do you think he asked us about being a Huntress? Like what was he trying to say?"

Blake: "Maybe he just curious."

Yang: "Ya think?"

Blake: "No."

Yang: *sigh* "Weiss? Are you awake?"

Weiss: "Of course I'm awake. You two are talking."

Yang: "Shh... we shouldn't wake Y/N up."

Y/N's sleeping peacefully as the girls are cuddling him.

Weiss: "I think he... when I said I wanted to honor my family's name, I meant it. It's not what you think. I'm not stupid. I'm fully aware of what my father has done with the company. Since he took control, our business has operated in a... moral grey area."

Blake: "That's putting it lightly."

Weiss: "Which is why I feel the need to make things right. If I had taken a job in Atlas, it wouldn't have changed anything. My father was not the start of our name, and I refuse to let him be the end of it."

Blake: "All my life, I fought for what I thought was right. I had a partner named Adam. More of a mentor really. He assured me that what we were doing would make the world a better place. But of course, his idea of a perfect future turned out to be... not perfect for everyone. I joined the academy because I knew that Huntsmen and Huntresses are considered the most noble warriors in the world, always fighting for good. When I leave the academy, how can I undo so many years of hate?"

Yang: "You'll figure it out. You don't back down."

Blake: "But I do it all the time. When you learned I was a Faunus, I ran. When my oldest partner turned out to be a monster, I ran. I really hope Y/N's not awake to hear that. You know how protective he gets."

Yang: "That's for sure, but he won't get mad at you for running. He knows why and understands. He's so protective of us. I'm sure that he'll always support us, so we need to support him. Especially when he pushes himself too far."

Weiss: "I know how you feel. He seems like the first person to look at me and see me as me. To him, I'm not Miss Weiss Schnee, heiress to the Schnee Dust Company. I'm just Weiss."

Blake: "He always puts others before himself, which, as Yang said, we need to be there for him. He won't fight for himself, only others. While that's extremely noble of him, I'm afraid he'll wear himself down too quickly and leave us behind..."

Yang: "I don't know about that... I think he's fighting so that we can all be happy, including himself. He knows that he makes us happy so he wants to get as strong as possible. That way, he can keep on living and therefore keep living with us. But he does put us before himself. All of us."

Weiss: "He really is an idiot with that, but he's also really sweet. Why do you think he wants to become a huntsman?"

Yang: "At first, it was probably the same reason as Ruby. They both want to become a huntsman and huntress because they dreamt about being like heroes in books. While he probably still wants that, I think that having Ddraig and Svartur are giving him a greater purpose than that. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, which is why I wanted to be a huntress, but I hope he's in it. He's our lovable goof."