40. Midnight Coffee

Midnight Coffee

I ran my hands through my now damp hair, trying to make my hair as appealing as I could as we headed to the boardwalk for some dinner. I did not want to receive strange looks from strangers as they took in my frizzy and untamed hair.

Hunter announced that he was to choose the place to eat, and no one argued with him, seeing as we were all tired from today—except Tia. She found her energy, bickering back and forth with Hunter.

Finally, they both settled on a burger joint. The catch was that it was also attached to a bar. Hunter's choice obviously, and once Tia saw the bar, she was sold too. "I'll get a number four," I smiled to the waitress who with an unamused face, slowly punched in my order.

"And would you like that with fries or with onion rings?" She asked in a bored tone, finding something behind me to focus her eyes on.

"Fries," I confirmed, scanning over the drinks, but nothing satisfied my taste. A drink from the bar would do.

I suddenly felt a presence behind me, and with just my sense of smell, I was able to pinpoint who it was. I'd never forget the scent of his cologne. "I'll get a number five with the nachos with root beer." His body nearly pressed into mine; his presence so close.

"Great." The waitress kept up her façade, even after seeing Dylan. I had to give it to her. After seeing Dylan, I couldn't do that. He caused all types of butterflies whenever I saw him. Speaking of butterflies...

"No drink?" He asked as he leaned in close, his breath hitting the tips of my ear. I shook my head, not able to form coherent words. With that answer he handed bills to the waitress before I had a chance to understand what was happening, paying for both of our meals.

He grabbed both of our meals when they came through, and even followed me to the bar when I went to grab my drink. He almost pulled out his wallet if I had not slapped his hand. "I can pay for myself you know." Although I appreciated it, I didn't expect him to do so. Not when we were dating, and not now.

"You shouldn't have to," he replied. "Especially when I'm around," he added after with a murmur. With that, we made it back to the table, Amber giving me the look before turning to, yep, I guessed it, another argument between Hunter and Tia.

"What's going on now?" I laughed, shaking my head and sitting down at the table.

"How do you put ketchup on your fries?" Hunter asked me, demanding to know the answer. "With a pool of ketchup on this side," he made a face. "Or with ketchup over the fries," he smiled at the end.

"The former, obviously, you freak," I joked.

"That's like saying cereal goes before milk!" He yelled out, obviously not liking my answer one bit.

"Sit down before you make a scene," Clyde glared, pulling him down.

"That's because it does," Tia insisted, shaking her head. "Can you believe him?" She asked Amber and I jokingly. Hunter threw a fry at her. Tia plopped it into her mouth.

"What about you, Amber?"

"I'm sorry, I have to go with the two," she replied before stuffing her mouth with the burger, escaping from answering any more of his questions.

"And you?" I nudged Dylan who sat on the other side of me. He snapped out of whatever trance he was in.

"I can't believe I'm saying this," he muttered, "but my best friend is right."

"Ha!" Hunter leaped out of his year, Clyde yanking him down again.

--

The argument kept on going between Hunter and Tia, somehow Clyde and Amber forming a conversation, leaving Dylan and I to ourselves for the short walk home.