06. Hot Date

Hot Date

Hot Date

As a child, I considered my family, my best friends. We would always do everything together. We would have weekly family game nights, movie nights, hell, we'd even go out bowling every Wednesday night. And as the saying goes, 'all good things must come to an end', it was true.

Mariana being the rebellious teenager she was, moved out as soon as she turned eighteen, against all my mom's wishes. She settled into an apartment with James, halfway across town much to my dad's disappointment. Still to this day it still confuses me how James managed to win my dad over. Then there was Julian and Enzo who started going to high school, which meant they spent most nights finishing off homework and projects, while the free nights were spent with their friends. That left mama, papa, Shane and me.

My dad worked as a construction worker and he soon got employed into a bigger company. This meant he was working most days and came home late as he became the head honcho of several operations, and as a result, we did see him less. However, he did make it up on the nights he was home.

Once Shane and I entered middle school, my mom decided to switch her career from a nurse into an ER doctor. Although she did take online classes to limit the time she was out of the home to stay closer to us, she was in the office studying on most nights.

That left Shane and me. We were fine. We understood that our parents couldn't spend their lives behind us. They too should pursue their dreams. We had each other, and that's all we really needed. Shane was my rock and I was his.

It wasn't always like this though. Once my parents got adjusted to their schedules, they were able to take time out for all of us. However, once the other three started going to college, it never was the same.

I looked over to my family settled on the couches and the ground as we munched on our dinner. Laughter filled the cozy room, and I couldn't help but laugh along. We hadn't spent time all together in a while. This was nice.

I bit into the juicy burger James had prepared on the barbecue out on the balcony. This was pretty good.

I sat on the single chair as mama and Mariana sat on the love seat together, eating away at their dinner. Shane sat on the ground against the wall, and the twins sat on the long couch opposite of me. Emma, Julian's fiancé had joined us not too long ago as she was situated beside Julian. Julian broke the news to mama when him and Emma arrived.

Although there was a little but of yelling from my mama, the end resulted in happy tears as she was ecstatic for both Julian and Emma.

James and papa had come in from the balcony with the rest of the burgers and chicken, laughing to one of their inside jokes.

Yeah, I still don't get how he won my dad over considering my dad hated James for the first year he dated Mariana.

The spacious, and beautifully decorated apartment suddenly became smaller as the two joined us.